80s/90s cartoon/toy you'd like to see revived in comics?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
80s/90s cartoon/toy you'd like to see revived in comics?

Post by BugsySig »

With IDW reviving many of the Hasbro toy lines as comics (ROM, MASK, etc), and discussion of even more coming to join them and mainstays like GI Joe and Transformers, and the Hanna-Barbera comics from DC launching soon, I was thinking of other 80s cartoon/toy franchises that would be cool to revive in comic book form.

My top choice would be the ThunderCats/SilverHawks/TigerSharks universe. Can't believe there hasn't been a TC comic in years. The recent cartoon revival was solid, but was buried by Cartoon Network before killing it off after one season. A continuation of those plots would be cool.

Centurions has a lot of potential. Great Sci-fi concepts and designs. I could definitely see some interesting takes on them.

Exo Squad was an awesome concept which always struck me as being ahead of its time. This could be awesome as a retelling of the original story, or as a reimagination of the characters and concepts.

also, :hope: for a Pirates of Dark Water book from DC!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: 80s/90s cartoon/toy you'd like to see revived in comics?

Post by Cyberstrike »

Robotix, Robotech, Exo-Squad, and ALF would be my top choices.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Heman, Thundercats, fragle rock, Tailspin. Darkwing duck.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:Heman, Thundercats, fragle rock, Tailspin. Darkwing duck.
"The Littles"
I Miss the good old days.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Well Darkwing Duck is coming back to comics.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

M.U.S.C.L.E.

Those toys were rad. Metroid was my favorite Nintendo game for the 8-bit system. That'd be a decent comic.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

Gobots! Maybe a writer could take these transforming robots to dark places Hasbro would never allow Transformers to go. :thumb:
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

buff-beardo wrote:Gobots! Maybe a writer could take these transforming robots to dark places Hasbro would never allow Transformers to go. :thumb:
Hasbro has done some pretty dark Transformers stories in the last couple of years. Besides Megatron already killed Cy-Kill in Megatron Origins.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Starriors

badlander86
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera

Post by badlander86 »

Visionaries

Swat Kats

Gargoyles

I am especially hoping to see a Gargoyles/TMNT Team-up someday. Both universes already have a built-in macguffin for interdimensional travel.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:With IDW reviving many of the Hasbro toy lines as comics (ROM, MASK, etc), and discussion of even more coming to join them and mainstays like GI Joe and Transformers, and the Hanna-Barbera comics from DC launching soon, I was thinking of other 80s cartoon/toy franchises that would be cool to revive in comic book form.

My top choice would be the ThunderCats/SilverHawks/TigerSharks universe. Can't believe there hasn't been a TC comic in years. The recent cartoon revival was solid, but was buried by Cartoon Network before killing it off after one season. A continuation of those plots would be cool.

Centurions has a lot of potential. Great Sci-fi concepts and designs. I could definitely see some interesting takes on them.

Exo Squad was an awesome concept which always struck me as being ahead of its time. This could be awesome as a retelling of the original story, or as a reimagination of the characters and concepts.

I didn't see that newer Thundercats show, I should look that up. The original show is pretty painful to watch for me now, despite it being a huge favourite growing up (and I still enjoy many other cartoons I loved as a kid).

Silver Hawks would be great to see back in comic form too, good call!

Another of my all-time favourites that hasn't been mentioned yet - Thundarr The Barbarian. Post-apocalyptic weirdness... And speaking of weird - I could get behind a new Inhumanoids comic too.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:With IDW reviving many of the Hasbro toy lines as comics (ROM, MASK, etc), and discussion of even more coming to join them and mainstays like GI Joe and Transformers, and the Hanna-Barbera comics from DC launching soon, I was thinking of other 80s cartoon/toy franchises that would be cool to revive in comic book form.

I didn't see that newer Thundercats show, I should look that up. The original show is pretty painful to watch for me now, despite it being a huge favourite growing up (and I still enjoy many other cartoons I loved as a kid).

Another of my all-time favourites that hasn't been mentioned yet - Thundarr The Barbarian. Post-apocalyptic weirdness... And speaking of weird - I could get behind a new Inhumanoids comic too.
The 2011 ThunderCats series is available on Blue Ray or two DVDs. I'd say I liked about 90% of it. A few eps were so-so, but the real mythology and flashbacks were awesome. Way more depth and backstory to the characters and the world than the original. A bit in the vein of Avatar the Last Airbender. Plus some SilverHawks and TigerSharks Easter eggs. I recommend.

I believe Thundarr will be returning in the new DC Hanna Barberra comics.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

BugsySig wrote:I believe Thundarr will be returning in the new DC Hanna Barberra comics.
If he does it would most likely in the Future Quest series.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Bring back Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future! I used to love that show and the toys and the "interactive" VHS game.

Also SUPERNATURALS. They had really cool holograms.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

The 2011 ThunderCats series is available on Blue Ray or two DVDs. I'd say I liked about 90% of it. A few eps were so-so, but the real mythology and flashbacks were awesome. Way more depth and backstory to the characters and the world than the original. A bit in the vein of Avatar the Last Airbender. Plus some SilverHawks and TigerSharks Easter eggs. I recommend.

I believe Thundarr will be returning in the new DC Hanna Barberra comics.
That would be awesome if true!

I'll check out that newer Thundercats series, thanks for the recommendation :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

QUARTZ wrote:Bring back Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future! I used to love that show and the toys and the "interactive" VHS game.

Hell yeah, I'm a massive fan of Captain Power! Got the DVD release of the original series a couple years back.

Sadly, they're actually working on a relaunch but can't get anyone to pick it up for distribution.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Gargoyles

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Robotech returns to comics at Titan Comics. I like Robotech but IMHO Harmony Gold has wasted a lot of the franchise's potential due to their poor decisions.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

grendeljd wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:Bring back Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future! I used to love that show and the toys and the "interactive" VHS game.

Hell yeah, I'm a massive fan of Captain Power! Got the DVD release of the original series a couple years back.

Sadly, they're actually working on a relaunch but can't get anyone to pick it up for distribution.
Seems like there has been some recent steps forward.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/captain-pow ... 201788233/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

QUARTZ wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

http://deadline.com/2016/07/captain-pow ... 201788233/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! So glad to see it moving ahead. :thumb:

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

grendeljd wrote:
QUARTZ wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Yes! So glad to see it moving ahead. :thumb:
Hell yeah!

I hope the new toys they come out with can still interface with the television somehow, just as a cheesy throwback to the original series. I used to sit there with my Power Jet or whatever it was called shooting at the bad guys in the show when I was a kid, comparing scores with my friends (no sitting close to the screen and cheating!). It was a great way of getting kids to watch the program and want the VHS tapes.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

New to the conversation...

What about Star Blazers?

Early 80's Japanese Anime cartoon that landed in the states for a couple of years, then continued in Japan. Was a solid cartoon, really loved it as a kid. Could easily be made into a comic, lots of Sci-Fi action that could occur.
Moose

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:New to the conversation...

What about Star Blazers?

Early 80's Japanese Anime cartoon that landed in the states for a couple of years, then continued in Japan. Was a solid cartoon, really loved it as a kid. Could easily be made into a comic, lots of Sci-Fi action that could occur.
Not sure if you're aware, but Star Blazers has already been made into comics several times before, two mini series by Comico and a regular run series by Argo Press. Also was available as early graphic novels using photos of the cel artowrk to tell the story and I also have a manga style Star Blazers (or Yamato) book.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Oh damn! I had no clue! I just know it shaped my childhood, I would run home from the bus stop to catch the show.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Star Blazers was a fantastic show :thumb: :thumb:

I used to build my own massive Yamato out of my Legos back then. That's a show I should revisit again sometime.