Birth of the DEFIANT Universe #1 sales

DEFIANT and Broadway Comics, created by Jim Shooter after VALIANT in the 1990s.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Birth of the DEFIANT Universe #1 sales

Post by StarBrand »

There seems to have been a bit of a run on this book over the last 45 days or so. Three raw copies of Birth of the DEFIANT Universe #1 graded as NM sold on eBay within a 24 hour period of March 14 of this year.
A CGC 9.0 copy sold on March 29th there. A CGC 9.8 copy sold on the Bay on April 21. That's unusual activity for this book.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

StarBrand
Re: Birth of the DEFIANT Universe #1 sales

Post by StarBrand »

This one sold yesterday for $356.99 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIRTH-OF-THE-DE ... SwE0JY8tqI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Interesting that there's suddenly some interest in these. There are only 19 total copies that have been CGC graded, and 14 of those are green label (automatic for books signed on the cover prior to CGC existing).
The universal and signature series copies are from JayJay's personal archive... 5 copies that weren't signed back-in-the-day... prototypes or "unsigned artist proofs" or whatever.

I own what are arguably the "best two" copies of this book and have had them since 2009.

The only 9.9 and the only signature series.

Image Image

There might arguably be better (mass produced) Defiant grail items in existence, but the pair of these make the "Defiant grail" for me... since the book was created specifically to be the Defiant grail (limited to 1,000) from the very beginning... and these are the "best two".

The original cover art would be a bigger grail of course, but it's not "more unique" (so far) and it costs many, many more monies.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I think part of the surge is that these books have been priced over $500 for so long, with some copies as high as $1K. Some sales have released some of the frozen overpriced grip.

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

Well I'll help you guys solve the mystery. I've been eyeing this book for awhile, but didn't think the $500-$1000 price was justified, so I snapped up three raw copies (returned two because they were clearly not NM). I submitted one to CGC the other day for my personal collection. Maybe the activity will generate some buzz or get some to come out of the woodwork. I could have sworn I had a personal copy of these, but can't find it, hence a rare raw purchase for me.

I do know the two 9.8 Birth of Defiant CGC sellers had been pretty adamant about their price for awhile now, but I think both have loosened up lately.

Long Live the Org!!!!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Cool! Long live the Org! :clap:

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

I own two copies of this book ... one that I'd wager is 9.8 material, the other 9.2 - 9.4 ... good stuff!

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

There is currently a copy on 'bay high bid at $20.50 presently ... if I didn't already have two copies I'd attempt to take it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-SPECIAL ... SwaeRZFi-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

OhioValiantNut wrote:There is currently a copy on 'bay high bid at $20.50 presently ... if I didn't already have two copies I'd attempt to take it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFIANT-SPECIAL ... SwaeRZFi-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It'll be interesting to see what this closes at.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Birth-of-the-De ... 44048b9165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not mine, but a nice affordable copy if anyone is looking for one ... I'm good with my two copies ... how many of these does a person need?! :lol: :lol:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Why must you tempt me so? I only have one copy.

shadow5555
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by shadow5555 »

I was checking out my missing Defiant issues and this was on the list (thanks to Knightt and everyone for those).

Is there ANY reason to own this other than to have it. I can't (in good conscience) pay what copies of this are selling for.

If there's a digital copy floating around I'm game too.

If not, if someone is willing to at least let me know if the contents have anything (other than previews of new series) I would appreciate it.

Off topic: I was looking for the Previews/Overstreet (for The Good Guys/Glory) items and stumbled across a 16 page Defiant section in Previews I never cared about, if I get some time I'll scan it up and put it on the board here for those interested.

Edit: I saw Knightt (thanks a bunch) posted links to these, so I'm good now. I still might post the Defiant Previews stuff, I'll see if I can spare some time soon. :thumb:
I AM The Night!!!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I paid $50 for my copy of Birth of the Defiant Universe #1 and thought I was over paying for it at the time. I guess I got a good deal. :o :lol: :o :lol:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

Cyberstrike wrote:I paid $50 for my copy of Birth of the Defiant Universe #1 and thought I was over paying for it at the time. I guess I got a good deal. :o :lol: :o :lol:
Saw one at a super cheap BiN on Ebay for $200, and thought, nope, don't need it that badly. :P

I'll live w/o that one book, maybe I'll stumble upon it one day for a price I can deal with, lol.
I AM The Night!!!

greg

Post by greg »

They're cheaper than $200. :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292511214629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

greg wrote:They're cheaper than $200. :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292511214629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:D Still don't need it THAT badly. lol :P

Thanks for the link though.
I AM The Night!!!

corvettejim1968

Post by corvettejim1968 »

ive heard 8 copies but 5 thats a holy grail for sure either way. i still dont have one unsigned.
greg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:02:36 pm Interesting that there's suddenly some interest in these. There are only 19 total copies that have been CGC graded, and 14 of those are green label (automatic for books signed on the cover prior to CGC existing).
The universal and signature series copies are from JayJay's personal archive... 5 copies that weren't signed back-in-the-day... prototypes or "unsigned artist proofs" or whatever.

I own what are arguably the "best two" copies of this book and have had them since 2009.

Image Image

There might arguably be better (mass produced) Defiant grail items in existence, but the pair of these make the "Defiant grail" for me... since the book was created specifically to be the Defiant grail (limited to 1,000) from the very beginning... and these are the "best two".

The original cover art would be a bigger grail of course, but it's not "more unique" (so far) and it costs many, many more monies.

greg

Post by greg »

corvettejim1968 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:38:10 am ive heard 8 copies but 5 thats a holy grail for sure either way. i still dont have one unsigned.
greg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:02:36 pm Interesting that there's suddenly some interest in these. There are only 19 total copies that have been CGC graded, and 14 of those are green label (automatic for books signed on the cover prior to CGC existing).

Image Image

At the time of my post (2017), there were 5 CGC graded copies that were not signed and numbered back in 1993.
Looks like there are 8 known now (on the CGC Census), with 7 as blue label (unsigned) and the 1 yellow label (unsigned in 1993, signed in front of a CGC witness in 2008).
http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/19346