Paramount signs first look real for Atlas Comics

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I love Atlas Comics, but this is a real stretch for a shared movie universe. The characters are basically blank slates as the comics themselves were not great. A few interesting ideas by famous creators, but not well executed. I have a feeling this never comes to fruition.

https://www.cbr.com/paramount-atlas-com ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
Re: Paramount signs first look real for Atlas Comics

Post by StarBrand »

Should be interesting.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Double post

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I bet those $1 comics are flying off eBay now for $$$. I could barely give them away a few years ago.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I can't name a single Atlas character, so I will share this tweet with you instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dynamite is disputing the use of “Atlas Comics” as a name because they bought the TM in 2014 (from a guy Martin Goodwin sues over it) and have been publishing random signed issues using the branding to maintain their hold. They’re so *SQUEE* sleazy.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote:Dynamite (sucks!) is disputing the use of “Atlas Comics” as a name because they bought the TM in 2014 (from a guy Martin Goodwin sues over it) and have been publishing random signed issues using the branding to maintain their hold. They’re so *SQUEE* sleazy.
I met the Dynamite guy a couple of times at comic shows. He is pretty sleazy and felt like some street hustler who cleaned up to make a court appearance. I almost wonder if he won Dynamite in a dice game?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) is disputing the use of “Atlas Comics” as a name because they bought the TM in 2014 (from a guy Martin Goodwin sues over it) and have been publishing random signed issues using the branding to maintain their hold. They’re so *SQUEE* sleazy.
I met the Dynamite (sucks!) guy a couple of times at comic shows. He is pretty sleazy and felt like some street hustler who cleaned up to make a court appearance. I almost wonder if he won Dynamite (sucks!) in a dice game?
Actually, the company he won in a dice game (weighted dice) was American Entertainment, which he renamed after his childhood idol, Dynomutt.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Yeah, I don't see Atlas Comics being much of a draw when it comes to movies. The last attempt to revive the comic line was a flop. I think they killed it more because of their lateness than any lack of quality of the books. I thought the books were decent.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Brother J wrote:Yeah, I don't see Atlas Comics being much of a draw when it comes to movies. The last attempt to revive the comic line was a flop. I think they killed it more because of their lateness than any lack of quality of the books. I thought the books were decent.
There is definite potential there, but it’s hardly a gold mine of material for making movies. I seriously doubt any movies get made based on these IPs. The most potential might be with The Scorpion, Phoenix, Wulf the Barbarian, Grimm Ghost and maybe Destructor. But almost all of them would need to be built from the ground up.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote:
Brother J wrote:Yeah, I don't see Atlas Comics being much of a draw when it comes to movies. The last attempt to revive the comic line was a flop. I think they killed it more because of their lateness than any lack of quality of the books. I thought the books were decent.
There is definite potential there, but it’s hardly a gold mine of material for making movies. I seriously doubt any movies get made based on these IPs. The most potential might be with The Scorpion, Phoenix, Wulf the Barbarian, Grimm Ghost and maybe Destructor. But almost all of them would need to be built from the ground up.
These characters are basically blank slates. How many people in the world can tell you what Phoenix or the Scorpion did or even looked like without looking them up? As long as they get a good story, they can go anywhere from a guy with a scorpion tattooed on his face or a lady whose astrological sign is scorpio or some guy with a tail.

The Atlas comics reboot from several years ago was terrible, regrettable and forgettable. And I am being kind.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote: The Atlas comics reboot from several years ago was terrible, regrettable and forgettable. And I am being kind.
Ah, despite my previous comment, you're probably right, I don't think I ever actually read any of them. I liked the quality of the books themselves, and I thought they did a good job of marketing themselves, but they shot themselves in the foot by being so late.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Brother J wrote:
Chiclo wrote: The Atlas comics reboot from several years ago was terrible, regrettable and forgettable. And I am being kind.
Ah, despite my previous comment, you're probably right, I don't think I ever actually read any of them. I liked the quality of the books themselves, and I thought they did a good job of marketing themselves, but they shot themselves in the foot by being so late.
The covers were the best parts of those books. They did have pretty cool covers.

I remember one issue - and I don't remember which one - took between 60 and 90 seconds to read in its entirety. I commented to my wife that I was glad that I had not paid full price for this comic.

A couple of years ago, they had someone who had worked on one of the books from the relaunch - Grim Ghost maybe? - so I reread the full, 6-issue run. That almost felt like a punishment by the last issue.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

You'd of thunk this mine had been fully dug out by now property wise. Then again Paramount has probably been stinging a little since they originally distributed the Marvel Studios stuff minus Hulk.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Complete waste of resources and time. An example of a company trying to fit into the zeitgeist for their industry by latching onto anything they can. But if you look closely there has basically been zero success for shared Universes outside of Marvel and some modest success and recognition for the Godzilla universe with Godzilla, Kong and King of the Monsters (which was a lot of fun, btw!).

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

This makes me sad because I liked Grim Ghost. I thought this line had potential..

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

IMJ wrote:Complete waste of resources and time. An example of a company trying to fit into the zeitgeist for their industry by latching onto anything they can. But if you look closely there has basically been zero success for shared Universes outside of Marvel and some modest success and recognition for the Godzilla universe with Godzilla, Kong and King of the Monsters (which was a lot of fun, btw!).
Although I have never watched a Fast and the Furious movie, that is branching into a wider shared universe this summer, which, if successful, suggests a shared universe can work.

The branching Star Wars movies and now web television series are arguably a shared universe, if you discount the core through-line 8 plus 1 forthcoming movies.

Kingsman is spawning astory set far apart in time from its progenitor movie, so another arguable one there.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month