Overstreet Guide to Lost Universes (coming Nov. 10, 2021)

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

John Pannozzi
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Quantum & Woody
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lante
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Overstreet Guide to Lost Universes (coming Nov. 10, 2021)

Post by John Pannozzi »

So this book should interest you folks.

Description:
The highly collectible world of lost universes gets a brand-new specially focused edition of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide that also serves as a Photo-Journal of all the books listed. From in-depth looks at the original Milestone and Valiant to Tower's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and Charlton's superheroes, and from Topp's Kirbyverse and the MLJ/Archie heroes to Malibu's Ultraverse and Marvel's New Universe, this full-color book dives deep into Atlas-Seaboard, Comics Greatest World, Continuity, Defiant, Future Comics, Triumphant and more. Not only is packed with images and prices, but it also includes creator and collector interviews and insights.
Links:

Softcover (Ironjaw/Atlas cover; Mighty Crusaders/MLJ/Archie cover; Starbrand/New Universe cover)

Hardcover (Ironjaw/Atlas cover; Mighty Crusaders/MLJ/Archie cover; Starbrand/New Universe cover)

Signed & Numbered Hardcover (Defiant cover)

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Overstreet Guide to Lost Universes (coming Nov. 10, 2021)

Post by nycjadie »

I hadn't seen the limited edition volume. Thanks for flagging. I am going to see if I can get a copy.

corvettejim1968
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by corvettejim1968 »

the new release date is Feb 16, 2022

cant wait to see all the Defiant stuff

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

corvettejim1968 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:57:50 pm the new release date is Feb 16, 2022

cant wait to see all the Defiant stuff
I ordered the Defiant cover. :thumb:

corvettejim1968

Awesome me too.

They did a 4 page article on my Defiant collection.
I'm excited

corvettejim1968

its here the book is here as of today Feb 16, 2022

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Got my copy with the Crusaders cover today. Flipped through for a whole at the store. Didn't expect it to be quite so cover image heavy and it seemed like variants were hit and miss (Comics Greatest World had some but Malibu seemed to be missing). Looking forward to digging in this weekend.
Last edited by SwiftMann on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:33:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

I got four pages into the Dark Horse Comics Greatest World section and realized I would need to take notes about all the mistakes on variants. Also in random order.

Continuity is also an absolute mess.

Plus a ton of dropped words in the write ups.

Pretty sloppy so far. At least there aren't really variants to screw up in CrossGen (hopefully). Edit - Nope, CrossGen is messy too. Unless they are purposefully skipping 2nd prints then just a couple missing.

Up to 3 pages of notes on errors and omissions

Just read through the Valiant section. The prices throughout this have been laughable, but this section really spotlights it.
Last edited by SwiftMann on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:56:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

corvettejim1968 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19:52 pm Awesome me too.

They did a 4 page article on my Defiant collection.
I'm excited
This was certainly well done. I think they dropped a word in your interview, but other than that great stuff. The whole Defiant section is better than the rest so far.

Any idea why the don't note Birth of the Defiant Universe as the first publication? Or why Defiant Genesis (all three versions) isn't included?

I so very much see the appeal in all the Defiant merch. I just can't go down that path. Well, at least not until the kids are out of the house.

corvettejim1968

Yeah I was really disappointed in the Spanish editions for prudence and caution they are a much lower print run and the prices were just a joke. And they only show the second print on splatterball when there's three versions of that book. And then the plasm zero one staple is not even listed in the price guide. And I think the most disappointing most of all is all three genesis books are missing completely like they don't even exist. Some of the prices are just a joke like for instance they're showing a splatter ball premier edition as $100 when that's a $10 book all day and the no seal addition that's not even listed should be $100

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

The complete lack of Genesis was the main thing I noted for Defiant. Pricing aside, at least the Defiant and Valiant sections are mostly well done and 95% complete (Secrets of the Valiant Universe #1-3 along with a couple other promo and TPB inserts are missing from Valiant). The Dark Horse and Malibu sections are an embarrassing disaster of inaccuracy and incompleteness.

I get that they obviously didn't want to dive into the minutia of certain things like production errors or test books, but a) when you are doing a hyper focused guide I feel like that's what people would expect and b) it was wildly inconsistent from sections to section as to what minutia meant. Did they purposefully leave our CrossGen 2nd printings? Did they not know (basically) every Ultraverse #1 had a stamped limited edition? Or that every Deathwatch 2000 comic was bagged, not just five of them? Why was Future the only section with a trade listed?

And, yeah, Overstreet’s pricing has always been a joke, but this was just all kinds of bad. Why nothing can be below $3 even if cover is $1 or less is silliness. On the flipside, anyone that wants to sell me Deadsides for $3 or other end of run books at $3, I'm here!

corvettejim1968

One of the reasons why I was so disappointed is because I was interviewed for that book and I was asked for a detailed list of all the books and their value. I believe that I know Defiant comic books values better than most because I've been collecting them for 29 years.

SwiftMann

Post by SwiftMann »

A 4+ page letter of errors and omissions dropped into the mail today. If nothing comes of it, oh well, I tried.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:46:32 am A 4+ page letter of errors and omissions dropped into the mail today. If nothing comes of it, oh well, I tried.
:clap:

I don’t yet have my copy, and my interest is already significantly diminished based on comments I’ve seen, but still, I salute you for trying!