Welcome to Dead Universes...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Knightt wrote:I tell ya jedi... I find collecting dead universes very entertaining. These books are CHEAP and finite. With an attainable goal that will not cost an arm and a leg (anything over $.20 cents an issue is ROBBERY, as these books most often time come as packing material between books that you order on Ebay... in fact, that is how I found some of these dead universes).

The idea that the art can sometimes be sub-par does not bother me as the actual READING of these books is down right FUN. No Earth shattering stories about human/mutant angst or socio-economic issues or digs at the current administration. Just good plain superhero fun
CrossGen is still up there price-wise.

Cover price +

And that's what I would like to get into on your recommendation.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Buy these issues by themselves and yep, you are gonna pay cover+ Get them in a group and even factoring in shipping you can get them for well below cover providing the auction does NOT end on a weekend but rather on a Tuesday or Wednesday when people do not stay up late to watch auctions due to work the next day.

Buying groups of books from a LCS is also a way that I have gotten a large numer of issues cheap. I told one LCS owner that I would buy all the issues that he had (that I needed) right then and there if I got them for $.35 cents an issue. He took the bait and I slapped down the plastic. He had mostly later issue but it didnt matter to me as I needed them. The single digit issues are perhaps some of the harder ones to get (sometimes, as three months ago I picked up single digit issues of Brath INCREDIBLY cheap with no other biders) on Ebay.

But as a Dead Universe (DU)... I cannot recommend these enough and place them 'maybe' at my #1 DU. The company had SO much going for it... and hardly a 'superhero' in sight. It has not been that oftern that you get a really good sword and sorcery book to get to the quality of CrossGen books, in both art and story.

My name is Knightt and I endorse this post due to the fact that it is mostly my opinion. :)

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Knightt wrote:The company had SO much going for it... and hardly a 'superhero' in sight. It has not been that oftern that you get a really good sword and sorcery book to get to the quality of CrossGen books, in both art and story.

My name is Knightt and I endorse this post due to the fact that it is mostly my opinion. :)
I second this opinion! I have a full run of both Brath and Sojourn, and will probably go after The Path, Way Of The Rat, and then Ruse. The sci-fi based titles wil probably always be low on my radar, but if I get a chance to pick them up cheap, I will.

CG was great stuff!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

AHH but The Negation and Crux are high on MY lists, especially Crux... the art on this looks fantastic !!!

I like a good mix of both fantasy and sci-fi and with CrossGen this is really new ground for me. Now to just get to the point where I can finish this collection SO I CAN GET TO READIN' !!!

Anybody out there have extras of CrossGen issues ?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I don't think I have anything you don't already have... sorry!

:oops:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Depluto and Architect have helped me out A LOT !!! Apparently there were a few places out there that had these babies at no more than $.50 cents a piece and then here locally I was able to get a boatload at $.35 cents a piece so I bought the 'sluggo' out.

But thanks for checking on what you've got slym !!!

cornflakeboy
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cornflakeboy »

Hey guys,

Upon request, I can organize lists of DU material published in Spain. There's lot's of New Universe, Ultraverse, Bravura and Crossgen, but no Defiant or Continuity.

I'd also thank some insight on the EPIC imprint by Marvel. It's been very badly published here and I'm totally positive there's tons of good stuff I've never seen (I've always wanted to get a full run of Bizarre Adventures, among others), so help would be appreciated!!

Keep it going!!
Just my 2 cents (of an euro)
http://www.culpableyperdedor.net

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

cornflakeboy wrote:Hey guys,

Upon request, I can organize lists of DU material published in Spain. There's lot's of New Universe, Ultraverse, Bravura and Crossgen, but no Defiant or Continuity.

I'd also thank some insight on the EPIC imprint by Marvel. It's been very badly published here and I'm totally positive there's tons of good stuff I've never seen (I've always wanted to get a full run of Bizarre Adventures, among others), so help would be appreciated!!

Keep it going!!
Did you ever read Black Dragon by Chris Claremont and John Bolton which was put out by Epic? Real good stuff. Also Epic magazine itself was usually pretty good, I have all the issues that have contributions by Dave Sim, which I guess you could say is the closest Sim ever came to working for one of the big comic companies. Heck, let me see if I can come up with a list of Epic comics for you...

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

moved... :thumb:
Last edited by Brother J on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:27:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Nice list Brother J... how about if we get this list into the forum under a thread instead of the 'welcome' thread so that folks can find it easier.

Good idea ?

And yes, cornflake boy... as list of foreign published DUs, I think would be a good idea in it's own thread and as a supliment to the existing lists/threads.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Brother J wrote:moved... :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb:

cornflakeboy

Post by cornflakeboy »

Did you ever read Black Dragon by Chris Claremont and John Bolton which was put out by Epic?
Hey, nice that you mention it! Not only did I ever read it, in fact, i had the honor of writing the prologue for the spanish edition!!
Just my 2 cents (of an euro)
http://www.culpableyperdedor.net

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

cornflakeboy wrote:
Did you ever read Black Dragon by Chris Claremont and John Bolton which was put out by Epic?
Hey, nice that you mention it! Not only did I ever read it, in fact, i had the honor of writing the prologue for the spanish edition!!
:o Cool!

RyanMcLelland
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Since Super Mario SE #1
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by RyanMcLelland »

I'm sure everyone knows about my site, but if you don't, here it is:
http://www.forgottenuniverses.com

It was my attempt to have a nice comic cover listing of all Defiant, Ultraverse, Broadway, and New Universe comics. Unfortunetly, shortly after getting the site up was when I started writing and...I never reupdated the site. HOWEVER there is lots of content to be seen there.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Ryan, I have used your site quite often but admit that yes, I veered away from it once updates ceased. I was really hoping for more cover scans of perhaps the alternate covers for quite a few of the Ultraverse and Malibu books.

If you have the time for updating in the future, I would be more than happy to start scanning covers to improve the site. Then I would like to link to your site from here.

There is also another site which provides all the above but he has not updated his site since the year 2000. I have even sent him scans of 'new finds' only to get no response.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
books

Post by dac55 »

Knightt you must be talking about Big Tel. I have also tryed to contack him but havent herd a word from him.
Also Ryan at http://www.forgottenuniverses.com has a nice check list of the New Universe. I was wornding if he would mind if we posted his list here ? Just thought I would ask.

dac

RyanMcLelland

Post by RyanMcLelland »

Knightt wrote:Ryan, I have used your site quite often but admit that yes, I veered away from it once updates ceased. I was really hoping for more cover scans of perhaps the alternate covers for quite a few of the Ultraverse and Malibu books.

If you have the time for updating in the future, I would be more than happy to start scanning covers to improve the site. Then I would like to link to your site from here.

There is also another site which provides all the above but he has not updated his site since the year 2000. I have even sent him scans of 'new finds' only to get no response.
I'll make you a deal. You scan what I'm missing and I'll start updating the site once again. That's a promise. Kewl?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Email me a list of what you are missing and I will start scanning... promise.

RyanMcLelland

Post by RyanMcLelland »

Knightt wrote:Email me a list of what you are missing and I will start scanning... promise.
It'll take a couple of weeks for me to start piecing through the site (going on vaykay tomorrow followed by prepping for my move from NJ to NY) but once that's all done I can start seeing what I'm missing picture-wise. As for info-wise on each issue (title/pencilers/writers/etc...) that you'll need to help with (AND ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN :) )

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Well I will see what I can do for the 'info' portion.

Is your site going to be around for a while ?

RyanMcLelland

Post by RyanMcLelland »

The site will be around until the end of time...or until I die...or until the world is plunged into darkness....

whichever may come first.

Technique
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!

Post by Technique »

RyanMcLelland wrote:The site will be around until the end of time...or until I die...or until the world is plunged into darkness....

whichever may come first.
I guess it's all the same to you :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Hey I dont care as long as the site sticks around... LOL

BTW, Ryan I am currently working on those scans. Should have something to you tonight or tomorrow. Some if not all...

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Ryan... I sent you a few scans the other day. Were they usable ?

Blarghazt
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
I emailed you a coverscan of Grimmax #0

Post by Blarghazt »

RyanMcLelland wrote:(AND ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN :) )
Hi, new here - I just noticed this post, but had already emailed a coverscan of issue #0 of 'The Great Grimmax" that I had only recently dug up, going through an old box from the closet.

Hope its okay and you can use it.

(I'm loving all the info on old comics from the short-lived companies - so many memories!)