Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

superman-prime wrote:anyone got a idea on what all that is worth omg i need a few new houses with that much green :thumb:
I'm not sure but it's more then enough to pay off my mortgage...that I do know for sure. It'll take a while calculating all that...especially when he said he had lots more that he hasn't shown to us yet.... :roll:

He says he's a DJ / musician. Unless he's someone famous we know, I wonder how the heck he makes enough $$ to afford all that.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Escaflown4 wrote:
superman-prime wrote:anyone got a idea on what all that is worth omg i need a few new houses with that much green :thumb:
I'm not sure but it's more then enough to pay off my mortgage...that I do know for sure. It'll take a while calculating all that...especially when he said he had lots more that he hasn't shown to us yet.... :roll:

He says he's a DJ / musician. Unless he's someone famous we know, I wonder how the heck he makes enough $$ to afford all that.
He probably lives with his parents and doesn't have any bills to pay. Just speculating

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I say that it's a fly collection sure, but I also say "no big deal..." The boxes take up a lot of space, so there might be less there than you think.

Sure, he's dropping some money but let's look at this for a minute here:
His display is full of boxes and loose figs. So right there you know that a lot of those boxes are empty, and therefore probably adding at least 3 racks to his collection. That means that a lot of that stuff if removed would make the collection look significantly smaller (it's like the people that take a fig on eBay and then spread out all of it's components in the picture... it looks like a lot of stuff, but in reality it's one fig and his accessories).

Then note that I didn't see too much vintage stuff in there. That means he's buying newer stuff (which is fine, don't get me wrong), but he's probably not dropping the coin you'd expect (although there is an investment there for sure). But realistically a lot of that stuff could have been picked up in lots on eBay and therefore filling more room.

It's a great collection, don't get me wrong, but lets be realistic... it's supplemented by empty boxes from the figs he opened and if all he collects is 80s spawned stuff, then this is no different than some of the longbox and comic images that some of us placed here on the forum not to far back. As a matter of fact, in some regards that collection may actually be cheaper than some of our own comic collections.

Look at the facts, boys. There's money there, but it's probably very equitable to some of your own comic collections (and other stuff) if you take all the points I made into account.

Escaflown4

Post by Escaflown4 »

IMJ wrote:I say that it's a fly collection sure, but I also say "no big deal..." The boxes take up a lot of space, so there might be less there than you think.

His display is full of boxes and loose figs. So right there you know that a lot of those boxes are empty, and therefore probably adding at least 3 racks to his collection. That means that a lot of that stuff if removed would make the collection look significantly smaller (it's like the people that take a fig on eBay and then spread out all of it's components in the picture... it looks like a lot of stuff, but in reality it's one fig and his accessories).

Then note that I didn't see too much vintage stuff in there. That means he's buying newer stuff (which is fine, don't get me wrong), but he's probably not dropping the coin you'd expect (although there is an investment there for sure). But realistically a lot of that stuff could have been picked up in lots on eBay and therefore filling more room.

It's a great collection, don't get me wrong, but lets be realistic... it's supplemented by empty boxes from the figs he opened and if all he collects is 80s spawned stuff, then this is no different than some of the longbox and comic images that some of us placed here on the forum not to far back. As a matter of fact, in some regards that collection may actually be cheaper than some of our own comic collections.

Look at the facts, boys. There's money there, but it's probably very equitable to some of your own comic collections (and other stuff) if you take all the points I made into account.
From the pics, I can make out that he officially has every single Transformers ever released here in the U.S. and by Takara in Japan. Not only that, he has multiples of the gestalt / combiners. He even has variants that I've never seen before. I know very few people that has all 3 versions of Fort Max (Fortress, Grand & Brave Maximus) and both Scorponok and Black Zarak. Let's face it, even with the empty boxes, this is probably by far the largest and best collection ever assembled. Mind that this is only his TF collection.... all his other collection does not show boxes and my eyes are still bulging out looking at his GI Joe and Star War figures.

Unfortunately I don't agree with the comparison of 80's comics to 80's toys. Remember that people in the 80's did not collect toys hoping they would skyrocket in value compared to comic collectors. That's why you don't see 80's TF's in MISB that often compared to a NM 80's comic. You can trade in all the comics released in the 80's and I highly doubt you can get a TF collection as close as this guy.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

And here I thought my Transformers collection was big. :o

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

Escaflown4 wrote:
IMJ wrote:I say that it's a fly collection sure, but I also say "no big deal..." The boxes take up a lot of space, so there might be less there than you think.

From the pics, I can make out that he officially has every single Transformers ever released here in the U.S. and by Takara in Japan. Not only that, he has multiples of the gestalt / combiners. He even has variants that I've never seen before. I know very few people that has all 3 versions of Fort Max (Fortress, Grand & Brave Maximus) and both Scorponok and Black Zarak. Let's face it, even with the empty boxes, this is probably by far the largest and best collection ever assembled. Mind that this is only his TF collection.... all his other collection does not show boxes and my eyes are still bulging out looking at his GI Joe and Star War figures.

Unfortunately I don't agree with the comparison of 80's comics to 80's toys. Remember that people in the 80's did not collect toys hoping they would skyrocket in value compared to comic collectors. That's why you don't see 80's TF's in MISB that often compared to a NM 80's comic. You can trade in all the comics released in the 80's and I highly doubt you can get a TF collection as close as this guy.
What he said :wink:

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Dragonclaw on the bottalk board still has the best TF (and other mecha) collection I'm aware of, but that is still one serious collection. I want to know what the Cobra headquarters looking place is. Black Zarak and Dezaurus are two grails for me.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Escaflown4 wrote:

Hey that's cool... I'm by no means a Transformers data base so I was just speculating another possibility. As far as comics go, I wasn't really talking about only 80s comics and was sort of getting into the "real" collections so to speak.

One way or the other though, if that guy has all of the vintage stuff like you are saying, then he certainly had to drop some coin....

Shakespeare
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Shakespeare »

That's not so impressive. I have one of those shelves.

S

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

ill take that collection :hm:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Shakespeare wrote:That's not so impressive. I have one of those shelves.

S
:lol:

Escaflown4

Post by Escaflown4 »

Shakespeare wrote:That's not so impressive. I have one of those shelves.

S
The shelves or the fish tank? :insane:

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

comicguy wrote:Holy Crap :o

He must make some good money, and if he is married have a very loving and understanding wife.
My wife said "He must be single"