COINS!

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Dr. Solar wrote:Those are some cool photos/scans of the coins! I never got into coin collecting though. I have enough useless compulsive obsessions in my life already.
Elveen wrote:
superman-prime wrote:coins last longer so no idea why we have not switched a long time ago
To hard to carry a bunch of coins. Bills fold up, easy to transport.

We could always go old school and make coins like doughnuts and carry them on our belts. :P
Also, I can't imagine slipping a dollar coin in a stripper's thong.
Come on, it's a PERFECT dollar slot..... :o

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Those are some cool photos/scans of the coins! I never got into coin collecting though. I have enough useless compulsive obsessions in my life already.
Elveen wrote:
superman-prime wrote:coins last longer so no idea why we have not switched a long time ago

We could always go old school and make coins like doughnuts and carry them on our belts. :P
Come on, it's a PERFECT dollar slot..... :o
. . .

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Not to go off on a non-family-friendly tangent on one of Elv's posts... but you lack imagination, Doc.

oldjello
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I can't believe nuny'all aren't more interested in coins....bummer.
My father has recently gotten involved into coin collecting since his recent retirement.
He's been collecting silver dollars and state quarters, so I purchased an 1883 Carson City Morgan with a 61 grade (I'm just getting into this-- I have my own small collection) to give to him for Christmas. If I can, I'll get a scan up later.
Nice! I think I've owned maybe ONE CC coin, maybe...and definitely not a $1.

Is it slabbed?
Yes sir.
The equivalent to CGC.

MS 61 from NGC.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I can't believe nuny'all aren't more interested in coins....bummer.
My father has recently gotten involved into coin collecting since his recent retirement.
He's been collecting silver dollars and state quarters, so I purchased an 1883 Carson City Morgan with a 61 grade (I'm just getting into this-- I have my own small collection) to give to him for Christmas. If I can, I'll get a scan up later.

Is it slabbed?
Yes sir.
The equivalent to CGC.

MS 61 from NGC.
Excellent! NGC is the "original branch" of the company that owns both PMG and CGC.

I had a weird dream last night that someone took a 1917D cent and altered it to be a 1914D....and that ANACS had slabbed it as authentic, because it had "the right waves"....it was weird....

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:

Is it slabbed?
Yes sir.
The equivalent to CGC.

MS 61 from NGC.
Excellent! NGC is the "original branch" of the company that owns both PMG and CGC.

I had a weird dream last night that someone took a 1917D cent and altered it to be a 1914D....and that ANACS had slabbed it as authentic, because it had "the right waves"....it was weird....
My GOD you are a Fig Bucking Nerd! :lol:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:

Is it slabbed?
Yes sir.
The equivalent to CGC.

MS 61 from NGC.

My GOD you are a Fig Bucking Nerd! :lol:
Please...I don't tell you 1/5 the dreams I have.....if I did, you'd have me committed.

You can't take a 1917 and alter it....but that was the dream....that it was done SO well that ANACS couldn't tell.....and it was annoying me to no end.

Probably means something.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.ph ... -tem120607

This bad boy makes my tongue quiver...

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I know this isn't near a big-money coin, but check out what I pulled out of circulation at the store I work at (yes, it's on eBay)

1986 Silver Eagle proof

-slym

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

slym2none wrote:I know this isn't near a big-money coin, but check out what I pulled out of circulation at the store I work at (yes, it's on eBay)

1986 Silver Eagle proof

-slym
That's not a proof, that's a regular business strike.

That's AMAZING that someone SPENT that, because, as of right now, it's worth $14.40.

Silly people.

And.....it MAY just be the pic, but that coin looks awful counterfeit to me. Pure silver has a different look to it than even 90% silver, and the pic looks like the coin you have is made out of nickel. I'd have to see it in person to tell.

Like I said, the coin you're selling isn't a proof, it's a business strike...here's the difference:

This is the business strike, with uniform finish throughout the surfaces.

This is the proof strike. Nearly all modern US Proof coins (1976-present) are strike in contrast, with mirrored fields and frosty devices, called "cameo".

As well, on the reverse, there's an "S" mintmark just to the left of the eagle's tail feathers, just beneath the olive branch. On the business strike, there is no mintmark.

You're also not likely going to sell that, because the total cost is $15.24...and, as noted before, spot silver is $14.40 currently.

You better change the proof designation before someone reports you! And no, it won't be me.....there are PATROLS of crazed coin collectors reporting....

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:You better change the proof designation before someone reports you! And no, it won't be me.....there are PATROLS of crazed coin collectors reporting....
:hm:

You've mentioned before that you have better luck getting what you paid for with coin auctions that with comic auctions.

Perhaps that is what keeps coin sellers honest.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Chiclo wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:You better change the proof designation before someone reports you! And no, it won't be me.....there are PATROLS of crazed coin collectors reporting....
:hm:

You've mentioned before that you have better luck getting what you paid for with coin auctions that with comic auctions.

Perhaps that is what keeps coin sellers honest.
No.....you know what the biggest difference is?

It's a lot easier to show flaws on a relatively small disc of metal than on a large paper pamphlet.

That's the difference.

It wouldn't matter if everyone was honest.

They are not.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Well, I make it clear that I am not really sure of what I have, but y'know what?

I'll just cancel the damn thing, I shoulda sold it along with all the misc. coins I sold earlier today for what the silver is worth.

:|

-slym (it's not counterfeit, BTW - silver has a certain sound, even this one knows that)

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

Zeph, if my father becomes more obsessed with coins in the future-- I'll need to know some tidbits on what to watch for. I think this gift I have for him will ignite his hobby. I bought it from a pretty reputable dealer in Northern Indiana, but any advice is welcome.

I believe Vroomer on whet's boards was very well versed as well in coins. Any chance of him throwing some advice here?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

slym2none wrote:Well, I make it clear that I am not really sure of what I have, but y'know what?
Coins are worse than comics, my friend....you can't categorize it as "proof" and then claim ignorance.
I'll just cancel the damn thing, I shoulda sold it along with all the misc. coins I sold earlier today for what the silver is worth.

:|
Hey, no worries! Seriously! If someone brought that in, and used it as a DOLLAR, you're already 14 times ahead of the game!
-slym (it's not counterfeit, BTW - silver has a certain sound, even this one knows that)
Good boy...that's the test I would have told you to do. Silver most assuredly has a certain sound, a very clear "ring".

Nickel, iron, aluminum....all much more of a "thud" sound.

The picture looks awkward is all, and if *I* think that, you know the other coinees will, too.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

oldjello wrote:Zeph, if my father becomes more obsessed with coins in the future-- I'll need to know some tidbits on what to watch for. I think this gift I have for him will ignite his hobby. I bought it from a pretty reputable dealer in Northern Indiana, but any advice is welcome.

I believe Vroomer on whet's boards was very well versed as well in coins. Any chance of him throwing some advice here?
Unblessed (Vroomer) is the only other guy I know on these comic boards who knows anything about coins....he's reallllly busy right now.

If you bought an NGC MS61 CC Morgan, you can't go wrong. Hopefully, you didn't pay too much for it. ;)

I wanted to show my coin hoards in the hoard thread, but it doesn't have the same impact. ;)

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Chiclo wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Not to go off on a non-family-friendly tangent on one of Elv's posts... but you lack imagination, Doc.
Trust me, it's not lack of imagination, maybe I used the wrong word. I think it really comes down to ***NOTICE***THE REST OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE "TOO MUCH INFORMATION" POLICE***NOTICE***

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:The picture looks awkward is all, and if *I* think that, you know the other coinees will, too.
That's my scanner... my camera is broken.

:(

-slym

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

slym2none wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:The picture looks awkward is all, and if *I* think that, you know the other coinees will, too.
That's my scanner... my camera is broken.

:(

-slym
That's what they ALLLL say.... :twisted:

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:Zeph, if my father becomes more obsessed with coins in the future-- I'll need to know some tidbits on what to watch for. I think this gift I have for him will ignite his hobby. I bought it from a pretty reputable dealer in Northern Indiana, but any advice is welcome.

Unblessed (Vroomer) is the only other guy I know on these comic boards who knows anything about coins....he's reallllly busy right now.

If you bought an NGC MS61 CC Morgan, you can't go wrong. Hopefully, you didn't pay too much for it. ;)

I wanted to show my coin hoards in the hoard thread, but it doesn't have the same impact. ;)
How much is too much? :oops:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Too much is when you've spent enought that upon opening your wallet, moths fly out and the same thing occurs when you go to the bank.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml? ... an_regular

I use this as a gauge, and then cut it right in half. If I win, I win (which is seldom) and if I don't, the coin market is 10,000 times more stable than the silly, fanboy driven comics market (yes, I have great disdain for idiots who run out to spend their money on something that is wildly overpriced in relation to its availability without having any knowledge, or doing any research. Sue me.)

MS60 is $220, and 62 is $225. If you paid MORE than that, you paid too much.

Hopefully, you paid about $175-$200?

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

I use this as a gauge, and then cut it right in half. If I win, I win (which is seldom) and if I don't, the coin market is 10,000 times more stable than the silly, fanboy driven comics market (yes, I have great disdain for idiots who run out to spend their money on something that is wildly overpriced in relation to its availability without having any knowledge, or doing any research. Sue me.)

I paid $200.
I've always wanted to get back into coins, and have been considering deleting most of my comics to invest in silver coins.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
oldjello wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

I paid $200.
I've always wanted to get back into coins, and have been considering deleting most of my comics to invest in silver coins.
$200 is a GOOD price for this coin! Yay!

If you can, I'd buy gold.....things are looking scary for the dollar.....

oldjello

Post by oldjello »

I was chatting with the coin dealer who sold me the Silver Morgan-- he stated that he was surprised that silver has not spiked as of yet, and gold was bound to tail off-- I have no clue, since I'm getting back into coins after almost 20 years.