Vintage TMNT Collecting

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

toddyboy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by toddyboy »

IMJ wrote:I use the Old Toy Archive at the official TMNT site when I'm compiling figures and weapons.

Just click on the figure you are matching weapons for, and look at the MIP display.
thanks for the site! here's the old toy archive (both of those above take u to the home page).

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/archive.html

i really want an usagi yojimbo. interesting the first one is '89, and not part of the original toys.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Usagi by himself is a dime a dozen, but he's pretty tough to complete with all of his accessories (there were a ton with that figure).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote:Usagi by himself is a dime a dozen, but he's pretty tough to complete with all of his accessories (there were a ton with that figure).
What about Space Usagi?

I found a shop in Amarillo that had a bunch of old TMNT stuff. I said something to the guy about how many memories Needlenose brought back and he said "That's what his name is! I knew someone would say it eventually!"

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

LOL!
Space Usagi is pretty easily found as well. His helmet might be tougher to find without being crushed or mangled, but ultimately that's a common figure too.

toddyboy

Post by toddyboy »

some new additions to my collection obtained this weekend. the best price possible, 100% friend discount! err...get outta the way, stupid cat...

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

:thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

sweet

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

:D

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Cool! :thumb:

But why is Michelangelo wearing lipstick? :?

toddyboy

Post by toddyboy »

he's sticking out his tongue. this is a wind up version that makes his forearm spin around while holding one of those shields.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

toddyboy wrote:he's sticking out his tongue. this is a wind up version that makes his forearm spin around while holding one of those shields.
Oh, I see it now. Bad paint job, I guess.

araknospider
Account inactive by user's request
original turtles

Post by araknospider »

did you know that the TMNT with the soft heads are the originals. later they made hard head ones thease are second gen and would not count for real collectors. and other thing I remember In the bath I poked a hole with a pin in leanardos teeth and would fill his head up with water and make him spit LOL was way too funny. things as a kid LOL guys thanks for the remember Js

IMJ
Re: original turtles

Post by IMJ »

araknospider wrote:did you know that the TMNT with the soft heads are the originals. later they made hard head ones thease are second gen and would not count for real collectors. and other thing I remember In the bath I poked a hole with a pin in leanardos teeth and would fill his head up with water and make him spit LOL was way too funny. things as a kid LOL guys thanks for the remember Js
The soft heads are definitely more desirable as a set than the hard heads are. However, the hard heads tend to appear in better shape with fewer paint rubs. The soft heads are often referred to as the Wave 1 fan club set, but it's not because they were a special order figure through the fan club. It's because they were originally packaged with the TMNT fan club inserts in their bubble.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

IMJ wrote:
araknospider wrote:did you know that the TMNT with the soft heads are the originals. later they made hard head ones thease are second gen and would not count for real collectors. and other thing I remember In the bath I poked a hole with a pin in leanardos teeth and would fill his head up with water and make him spit LOL was way too funny. things as a kid LOL guys thanks for the remember Js
The soft heads are definitely more desirable as a set than the hard heads are. However, the hard heads tend to appear in better shape with fewer paint rubs. The soft heads are often referred to as the Wave 1 fan club set, but it's not because they were a special order figure through the fan club. It's because they were originally packaged with the TMNT fan club inserts in their bubble.

How much more are the soft heads worth? I never realized there was a difference.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

maraxusofkeld wrote:How much more are the soft heads worth? I never realized there was a difference.
Oh man, I study the markets on the things I like and I still have no idea how to answer this in the current market. It's a crap shoot... I've seen a set of 4 complete softheads sell for a bill or more on occasion, and then a similar eBay auction will land you 30 bucks for a complete set. Seriously, it vacillates that much.

What I do know is that most collectors have the hard head versions, and then when they realize that there's a soft head they start looking for those.

The best input I can give you is that in this particular case you'd probably make out better by selling a full set rather than parsing them out. When I get to selling my TMNT stuff, I'm going to sell by waves and include the entire soft head wave which is more than just the 4 turtles - it's also everyone else from the launch wave excluding April O'Neil.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:How much more are the soft heads worth? I never realized there was a difference.
Oh man, I study the markets on the things I like and I still have no idea how to answer this in the current market. It's a crap shoot... I've seen a set of 4 complete softheads sell for a bill or more on occasion, and then a similar eBay auction will land you 30 bucks for a complete set. Seriously, it vacillates that much.

What I do know is that most collectors have the hard head versions, and then when they realize that there's a soft head they start looking for those.

The best input I can give you is that in this particular case you'd probably make out better by selling a full set rather than parsing them out. When I get to selling my TMNT stuff, I'm going to sell by waves and include the entire soft head wave which is more than just the 4 turtles - it's also everyone else from the launch wave excluding April O'Neil.
This reminds me - the original April O'Neil was hard to get back in the day. I had to settle for the crappy second edition with the day-glo orange striping. Is that still the case?

Back in the day, when he first came out, Walkabout was a son of a *SQUEE* to get too.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

April is relatively cheap in any incarnation nowadays. Walkabout was one of the harder to find figs, but he's relatively common on eBay now (although I don't think I've got a Walkabout myself).

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

So did all the first wave figures have soft head variants? I remember I had a Rock Steady that had a soft head.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

maraxusofkeld wrote:So did all the first wave figures have soft head variants? I remember I had a Rock Steady that had a soft head.
The only soft head's were the 4 turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop Rocksteady and I think the Foot Soldier. I'd have to go squeezing head's to confirm the Foot Soldier status though....

And if anyone goes testing this, remember not to squeeze the hell out of your hard head figs to determine whether or not they are soft. It's incredibly obvious if you have a soft head figure. If you have to put pretty much any pressure at all on the head to squeeze it in, then it's not a soft head.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Apparently, I made a good buy and didn’t know it, but I could use some more info—please help.

I was at a LCS two weeks ago and impulsively bought the paperback version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: A Quarter Century Celebration for cover price. It’s a collection of Eastman’s favorite TMNT stories—a great book for the Mirage fan.

I can’t find it on eBay but Amazon listings price the book between $30 and $50 with a few sellers selling the books for close to $100 but there will always be overpriced sellers. One source said that the book was a limited edition from SDCC—maybe this was just the HC, but I really don’t know.

Anyway, below is the book’s cover. If someone could tell me more I’d appreciate it.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

sanman wrote:Apparently, I made a good buy and didn’t know it, but I could use some more info—please help.

I was at a LCS two weeks ago and impulsively bought the paperback version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: A Quarter Century Celebration for cover price. It’s a collection of Eastman’s favorite TMNT stories—a great book for the Mirage fan.

I can’t find it on eBay but Amazon listings price the book between $30 and $50 with a few sellers selling the books for close to $100 but there will always be overpriced sellers. One source said that the book was a limited edition from SDCC—maybe this was just the HC, but I really don’t know.

Anyway, below is the book’s cover. If someone could tell me more I’d appreciate it.

One of the 25th ann books is by Kevin Eastman and was for sale on his Heavy Metal web site. Think you can get this one too. (can't get to HM from work. :P ) I think that's where I got my copy.