Star wars figures

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
Star wars figures

Post by superman-prime »

I keep picking up star wars figures all over the place and im amazed they sell so low, carded newer figures sell for a buck or 2 ? wow they have just taken a killing in the last few years

is it due to overproduction

or what ?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

It's an aging franchise, man! Unless there's movie hype, there's no aftermarket for them. I'd also imagine that even the most fanatical Star Wars fan can only buy so many Hoth Han's.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

I picked up tons of Star Wars figures in the 90's and took a big hit.I only bought them to collect but i kind of wish i would have bought them now unstead of buying them new to save some $$$.

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

IMJ wrote:It's an aging franchise, man! Unless there's movie hype, there's no aftermarket for them. I'd also imagine that even the most fanatical Star Wars fan can only buy so many Hoth Han's.
I think the Star Wars merchandise from the ‘90s through now is so over produced you’d be lucky to give some of it away.

I’d also agree that the lack of movie hype has depressed if not stabilized the price of vintage items too—making now a better time to collect original trilogy merchandise.

By no means am I suggesting that it’s a good "investment", but at least you probably won’t see much more of a dip in the value.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

:thumb:

my thoughts exactly

if i find figures carded for a buck or so im in otherwise i pass

sanman

Post by sanman »

I’ve been itching to buy the Burger King glasses. I had all three complete sets, but lost about half of them in the storm.

Maybe I can find the sets on the cheap now...

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

ive sold so many at a buck each its scary

sealed figures im selling for 3 each at this point :!: :!:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

sanman wrote:I’ve been itching to buy the Burger King glasses. I had all three complete sets, but lost about half of them in the storm.

Maybe I can find the sets on the cheap now...
Dude I have been staving off buying those Burger King glasses as well. I had 'em as a kid and am dying to have them again... Whew, I am NOT insane.

:lol:

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

sanman wrote:
IMJ wrote:It's an aging franchise, man! Unless there's movie hype, there's no aftermarket for them. I'd also imagine that even the most fanatical Star Wars fan can only buy so many Hoth Han's.
I think the Star Wars merchandise from the ‘90s through now is so over produced you’d be lucky to give some of it away.

I’d also agree that the lack of movie hype has depressed if not stabilized the price of vintage items too—making now a better time to collect original trilogy merchandise.

By no means am I suggesting that it’s a good "investment", but at least you probably won’t see much more of a dip in the value.
Exactly.

sanman

Post by sanman »

superman-prime wrote:ive sold so many at a buck each its scary

sealed figures im selling for 3 each at this point :!: :!:
wow, that's rough--I haven't bought new Star Wars stuff in years.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I sold off my 90s collection after the first movie when I started to see figures of background/set extras show up on the racks. The overpopulation of figures on the market were just too much, IMO.

Now I stick strictly to Vintage Star Wars figures (loose).

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Knightt wrote:I sold off my 90s collection after the first movie when I started to see figures of background/set extras show up on the racks. The overpopulation of figures on the market were just too much, IMO.

Now I stick strictly to Vintage Star Wars figures (loose).
I'm with Knightt on this one. Even so, it would be cool to be a hardcore Star Wars collector in this market. Imagine the "Universe" of toys you could put together.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

True, IMJ... I see some pretty awesome collectible figures in our local Hastings priced in the $18.99 range. They would be awesome collect but at $18 a pop, I would hate to take a bath on these when I could just wait for them to show up on clearance.

I go the vintage route as that is what I had as a kid. My grandmother used to work at K-Mart and she picked up my first SW figures for me the week they came out and then carried the card around in her purse checking off figures as she bought them for me.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Knightt wrote:True, IMJ... I see some pretty awesome collectible figures in our local Hastings priced in the $18.99 range. They would be awesome collect but at $18 a pop, I would hate to take a bath on these when I could just wait for them to show up on clearance.

I go the vintage route as that is what I had as a kid. My grandmother used to work at K-Mart and she picked up my first SW figures for me the week they came out and then carried the card around in her purse checking off figures as she bought them for me.
That’s a great memory. :thumb:

My uncle would do the same for me with a Super Powers card a few years later.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Buddy, it is a great memory for me. I would later be stationed at Fort Bragg, NC and in the move, I would lose the black vinyl SW case that I had them stored in all those years chok full of figures in their appropriate place... I was heartbroken and I vowed to get them all over again out of sheer love for my grandmother and the love she showed to me by doing that for me. It didn't take too long but medlars to say, I accomplished that mission and grew my collection even larger as the years went by.

I wish that I had THE figures that my grandmother gave me, but I know which ones they were. I still need the black vinyl case but that will come in time. I am going to get my SW figure collection out tomorrow and 'figure' out which ones I still need.

I have ONE toy from my childhood and it is again from my grandmother. I have an intact, working LED Star Wars watch made by Texas Instruments. I think that it came from K-Mart or Sears. It had these small stickers that you could put on the top of the watch to change up how it looked... Those were used up fast but I still have that wonderful watch. It was awesome as you had to push the button on the side of the watch to see what time it was

Good memories... Thank you for this thread that led me to post about this. It really made me feel the love for my grandparents. Little known fact, I was raised by my grandparents since the time I was six months old.

sanman

Post by sanman »

It’s sad that that you no longer have THE figures, but it sounds like your grandparents gave so much of themselves—that can never be taken away.

Knightt, thanks for sharing. :thumb:

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I noticed the Droids & Ewoks animated figures are getting high in price these days out of the vintage stuff.....especially the C3PO figure and the 2 green villains from the old cartoon show.... :hm:

sanman

Post by sanman »

vikingspawn wrote:I noticed the Droids & Ewoks animated figures are getting high in price these days out of the vintage stuff.....especially the C3PO figure and the 2 green villains from the old cartoon show.... :hm:
Those have been demanding premium prices for a long time--Boba Fett goes for quite a lot too.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

sanman wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:I noticed the Droids & Ewoks animated figures are getting high in price these days out of the vintage stuff.....especially the C3PO figure and the 2 green villains from the old cartoon show.... :hm:
Those have been demanding premium prices for a long time--Boba Fett goes for quite a lot too.
I remember the Boba animated was high but didn't know the regular figures loose were in demand. And I noticed some "Ewoks" from the Power of the Force 1985 line were getting pricey.

Droids was an underrated tv show.

sanman

Post by sanman »

vikingspawn wrote:
sanman wrote:
I remember the Boba animated was high but didn't know the regular figures loose were in demand. And I noticed some "Ewoks" from the Power of the Force 1985 line were getting pricey.

Yeah, they have been—that’s largely why I stopped with the original POTF line. I actually had hoped some of the prices would have come down significantly by now.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

sanman wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:
sanman wrote:

Yeah, they have been—that’s largely why I stopped with the original POTF line. I actually had hoped some of the prices would have come down significantly by now.
Any idea how high an animated C3PO usually goes for? I should have paid attention to this line years ago. I think I still have a vehicle from the line around.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I was looking at the animated Droids stuff a short while back when I picked up a MOC Jord Dusat. I saw a few MOC 3Po's and to say that they sell for a fortune is an understatement.

C3PO MOC

C3PO Loose

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

:clap:

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

wow

sanman

Post by sanman »

IMJ wrote:I was looking at the animated Droids stuff a short while back when I picked up a MOC Jord Dusat. I saw a few MOC 3Po's and to say that they sell for a fortune is an understatement.

C3PO MOC

C3PO Loose
Yep... :!:

...but good for any of the bros who have one. :wink: