Toys of the 80s

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger
Re: Toys of the 80s

Post by greatbrandino11 »

greg wrote:
Heath wrote:I remember M.U.S.C.L.E., but never did care for them. One of my best friends, however, is a huge M.U.S.C.L.E. fanatic and has a nearly complete set.
I made up names for mine, then created hand-written tournament brackets with random seeding and had them battle until there was a champion.

Nine year olds are weird... or was that just me? :?
Did you cut small slices into their foreheads to make it look like they were pulling blade jobs?
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

greg wrote:
Heath wrote:I remember M.U.S.C.L.E., but never did care for them. One of my best friends, however, is a huge M.U.S.C.L.E. fanatic and has a nearly complete set.
I made up names for mine, then created hand-written tournament brackets with random seeding and had them battle until there was a champion.

Not just you.I had fake wars with gi joes,transformer,sectaurs,air raiders,m.a.s.k and other toys .Im still weird.If I had those toys again id probably do it now to my familys dismay.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

greg wrote:

:lol: Did you have the belt buckle? What about the wrestling ring? I always wanted the buckle, but I could never find one in a store.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Heath wrote:I had a Rock Lord. I don't know how or where I got it, but I never knew what it was and thought it was the stupidest thing ever. A transformer that turns from a robot into a... rock? Oh, yay, how exciting. Maybe the other Transformers can pick it up and throw it at something.
The Rock Lords were a spin-off line from The Challenge of the Go-Bots which were the main competition for The Transformers back in the 80s. Hasbro bought Tonka in the 90s and now the Go-Bots appear as cameos in various TF comics and were the name of a of short lived pre-school line of Transformers toys.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

transformers and still transformers
have a nice batch of g1 ive accumulated as well as some
stuff from the last 10 years boxed

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I used to steal those Muscle toys. I'd pop open the plastic garbage can they came in, and fill my pockets. Story of a very poor kid. Later, I did terrible things to them. Light them on fire, etc. I loved those things. But, like Greg, I did have whole tournaments with charts, etc. Great fun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Did anybody else have the ManTech figures? Each figure could be taken apart at every joint and each piece could be re-combined with any other figure parts. Came with helmets & weapon attachments too, as well as some vehicles. I had three of them, there may have only been six different figures...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

lorddunlow wrote:
greg wrote:

:lol: Did you have the belt buckle? What about the wrestling ring? I always wanted the buckle, but I could never find one in a store.
I had the belt buckle but not the wrestling ring.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:Did anybody else have the ManTech figures? Each figure could be taken apart at every joint and each piece could be re-combined with any other figure parts. Came with helmets & weapon attachments too, as well as some vehicles. I had three of them, there may have only been six different figures...
Here's a pic of the figures;

I used to have the black one, the purple one (both were 'bad guys'), and the blue one. Loved messing around with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Burrito Boy wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
greg wrote:

I had the belt buckle but not the wrestling ring.
Loved M.U.S.C.L.E. figures too! I used to get the little trash cans of figs whenever I could. Only really liked the original salmon pink ones. And that belt was cool, I never got one though.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I was a huge fan of GI Joe, Transformers & Star Wars, but I primarily only got a lot of GI Joe toys of those three lines. Had tons of figures & vehicles. I saved money up & bought two A.W.E. strikers one summer, I was so thrilled to have more than one - it made sense for an army to have multiples, but I was never given more than one of anything of course... "You already have that one!" :lol:

I still collect them off-and-on now, but I don't have any from when I was a kid. I buy multiples of the generic soldiers :wink:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

I was also a big fan of Robotech, but never liked their toys back then. Once I saw the Jetfire figure for Transformers, nothing else would cut it.

And I loved Voltron too - the lion version. I was lucky enough to get the full set of five lions that were metal & plastic. My cousin only got the yellow lion from his parents, and it was from a different company - the figure was all plastic, much larger in scale than the set I had, and it came with the pilot figure who could actually fit inside the thing. I always thought it was a cheap & junkier version of the toy back then :lol:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Can't forget to mention He-Man. Had a lot of that stuff too - I was floored when I got a Castle Greyskull one year for Xmas. Still love the energy & vibe of the character designs for the line, even though it got pretty silly at times.

Another toy I was curious about but never got into was Sectaurs. I liked the look of them, thought the insect hand-puppet toys were a cool idea - but I think I was just getting to an age where I lost interest in playing with toys in general, so I never got those. I'm actually kind of interested in tracking down the Star series of Marvel comics based on them still, I nearly bought some from a quarter bin just a few weeks ago.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Remember Robo Force? I had a modest few of those, but I also had some bigger vehicles from that line. A big tank thing that was all white, and a black vehicle that had pincers on the front of it IIRC...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:Can't forget to mention He-Man. Had a lot of that stuff too - I was floored when I got a Castle Greyskull one year for Xmas. Still love the energy & vibe of the character designs for the line, even though it got pretty silly at times.

Another toy I was curious about but never got into was Sectaurs. I liked the look of them, thought the insect hand-puppet toys were a cool idea - but I think I was just getting to an age where I lost interest in playing with toys in general, so I never got those. I'm actually kind of interested in tracking down the Star series of Marvel comics based on them still, I nearly bought some from a quarter bin just a few weeks ago.
He-Man was my favorite toy as a kid. I had Skeltor's Lair as my big set. Never had Greyskull. Skeltor's Lair was way cooler in my opinion. Actually, all of the villains were cooler. Of the good guys, the Sorceress was my favorite.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Toys of the 80s

Post by caxiotis »

I have two Brothers and between us I swear we had everything. Things I can think of

Transformers
Gobots
Voltron
GI joes
Micromachines
He-man
Rambo
Dick Tracey
Care Bears
Pound puppies
Wrestling
The real ghostbusters

And so on

My mom actual found some Spinjas a month ago. My 3 year loves them and we play with them on the tile kitchen floor
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

caxiotis wrote:I have two Brothers and between us I swear we had everything. Things I can think of

Transformers
Gobots
Voltron
GI joes
Micromachines
He-man
Rambo
Dick Tracey
Care Bears
Pound puppies
Wrestling
The real ghostbusters

And so on

My mom actual found some Spinjas a month ago. My 3 year loves them and we play with them on the tile kitchen floor
Damn. I wish I still had my Spinjas.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Can't forget to mention He-Man. Had a lot of that stuff too - I was floored when I got a Castle Greyskull one year for Xmas. Still love the energy & vibe of the character designs for the line, even though it got pretty silly at times.

He-Man was my favorite toy as a kid. I had Skeltor's Lair as my big set. Never had Greyskull. Skeltor's Lair was way cooler in my opinion. Actually, all of the villains were cooler. Of the good guys, the Sorceress was my favorite.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I remember saving up my money I earned from taking out the trash and having my mom take me to Toys R Us to buy a He-Man figure. My mom wouldn't let me buy Skeletor, had to buy a good guy first :D First thing I ever bought for myself.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.