Your Quarantine Experience?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Your Quarantine Experience?

Post by nycjadie »

What are you guys up to? Thought I'd kick a conversation off since all things Valiant are essentially on hold. I've spent my entire quarantine in Virginia. My family is split between the two coasts, and I miss the west coast kids a lot.

Home - I am building and renovating a new office here. The ceiling is close to done (painting rafters), and then I need to install carpet. I turned an incredibly dank and disgusting end of a basement into a bright and cheery office space. That's been pretty good. I've also done numerous home projects around the house. I also took out the bamboo forest that was taking over the backyard. Hundreds of 30 feet tall stalks, and many roots. The back neighbor is an elderly recluse and has let his yard become a thick forest of bamboo. A fox and some kits live in there, which has been pretty fun to watch. They come out during the day much more with the neighborhood so quiet.

Collections - I bought two nice sized collections. People are cleaning out their house, so I took advantage. One collection was late 80's/early 90's. Mostly dreck, but I pulled out about 4 short boxes worth of stuff to keep, including some old Uncanny and a few oddities. There was some minty Valiant in there too, but only common issues. I'm going to go through it a bit more closely at some point. Maybe some gradable stuff. I got another collection that was a near full run of the New52 and Rebirth. I think the only thing largely missing is the New52 Batman run. The keys were in there as well, and it's minty. I have a Teen Titans 12 here that I think will be a 9.8. So that was fun.

Reading - I haven't actually done a lot of reading, but I've been buying stuff from my LCS to try to keep him in business. I'm nearly done with the Annihilation omnibus. It's OK. I have the Dark Phoenix Saga omnibus waiting for me next. I haven't read the entire thing end to end, so I'm excited about that. On the way to me are the Batman Year One slipcase omnibus as well as the new Elektra one. Looking forward to reading those oldies as well in this format.

Bloodshot - I was lucky enough to see the movie at the theater right before everything shut down. I had fun with it, and I picked up a few posters on eBay. One I haven't yet opened - an unused bus shelter poster. I imagine it will be massive!

Me - I'm fatter than ever and I have a poison oak rash on my legs and hands. I didn't see it when I was cleaning out years worth of crap in the back. I used to be able to frolick through it as a kid. It's driving me nuts and doesn't seem to be getting better...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Your Quarantine Experience?

Post by Chiclo »

The only significant way my life has changed is that church services are not happening. Other than that, my life is pretty much the same.

My county has (I think) the highest percentage of positive tests in the state at around 2%. The overall population is somewhere around 25,000 and there are over 500 positive tests in the county. The Amarillo area in general is having a lot of positive tests because of local meatpacking houses - and we have one in our county. Maybe it is the animal bodily fluids that really help the virus to transmit? Either way, we are not seeing a very high mortality rate - fewer than 10 deaths in the county so far (one of whom was the police chief, good man). Governor Abbot even is pushing back a week on our county and a few others to open up like the rest of the state.

My wife works in the lab at the local hospital. She has collected samples from people who have tested positive, she even mentioned that she collected the first positive we had in the county. If we have had the virus, thank the Lord we haven't got sick from it yet. At this point, I know it's not an if but a when. Either way, we are both in good enough shape that I am not too worried. She is starting to get a little burned out - and a few machines in the lab are having problems. She could use a vacation. We *might* end up going to that fancy Bass Pro Shops pyramid.

I had a cleaning at my dentist office last week. I had to sign a disclaimer before the cleaning and sign a form saying that it was necessary.

There are still a few specific items that I am waiting for to show back up at the grocery store, specifically bleach wipes and the Vigo-brand red beans and rice. Everything else we never really had a problem with - the only thing that looked dicey was eggs and I always found eggs when I needed them.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Being fairly introverted, I haven't been too stressed out or bored with being stuck at home during this pandemic. I still can't find enough time in a day to do all the little things I really enjoy doing!

It's actually been more stressful to go into work still. I am very grateful that I didn't lose my job during this, but it has been a bit grim there - steel mills are considered essential services, but a lot of the industries we supply have been shut down so our production levels have been significantly affected, and they've made a lot of changes to people's work hours & schedules. We are selling a lot of steel for hospital beds and ventilator stands though, so theres that. I am also grateful for the fact that I am largely just on-call even when I'm in the building, which has meant that I can generally avoid nearly everyone whenever I am there.

My wife is a freelance artist, as some of you know - and she has also been fortunate in that she kept nearly all of her contracted work she had lined up before the major shutdowns began. I think only one client has ghosted the job she had lined up with them, but they may surface again at any time. She has even continued to pick up further new jobs, and she also won another illustration award recently, for a Pretty In Pink movie poster she did last year!

I have been doing some small-ish house reno projects to keep occupied & keep my wife happy - I updated one of our bathrooms with the exception of anything that required plumbing in there [house is only 13 years old, most of that stuff is good], rebuilt large old garden boxes in our backyard that had mostly rotted apart, and also just finished adding a new hand railing to our deck.

I have read several novels over the past few months, more than usual for me in recent years - I got on a classic sci-fi tangent and read 5 Foundation novels by Asimov [I had read the first 4 novels once already, way back in the late 80's/early 90's], which then inspired me to track down his Robot series as they are all set in the same universe, which I had not previously been aware of. I've got a copy of "I, Robot" & "The Caves Of Steel" ready to read next. I am also currently reading Starship Troopers for the first time, which is a shameful oversight on my part as a long time sci-fi fan, but I am intending to read a lot more of Heinlein's books as well now. I've also got a stack of old Ace/Doubleday pulp-sci-fi flip books to dig into eventually as well.

As far as comics go - with nothing new coming out I got into re-reading runs of my favourite classics. I read Strikeforce Morituri [an annual tradition for me anyway], and am currently re-reading Incredible Hulk from #300 up to maybe around #430 or so [basically thinking of going to the end of Gary Franks run as artist on the title]. I am at #356 right now and loving it still. The Peter David era [particularly the Grey Hulk & Prof. Hulk portion] has always been my favourite period of the book, and with the new Immortal Hulk series making heavy reference to that era, I have wanted to get into a massive re-read of it for the last couple years now. Very satisfying.

As far as scratching my collectors itch during the pandemic - I've been picking away at collecting original art where and when I can afford it, as random pages appear in auctions or on eBay. I have a very particular fetish for anything from the New Universe line of the mid/late-1980's, and thankfully they are largely affordable still - most comic art has gone insane in terms of pricing. Speaking of Incredible Hulk above - Todd McFarlane's cover art for Hulk #343 is currently up at auction, and with nearly 2 weeks left before it closes, its already at a $35,000 bid!!! I recently-ish rescued a John Romita Junior Starbrand page from a dealer in Italy, which is a real treat to have. I never expected to be able to afford original art by JRJr, but since its from a low-demand title & the dealer was also willing to do layaways, I was able to secure it.

I have also been working on artwork for a new 6-page short story written by our very own fellow VFan member Starbrand, which will see publication in one of InDELLible's upcoming issues of either House OF Spades or Tales From The Tomb horror anthology comics. Very excited to complete this project and have it go out into the world.

All-in-all, while there are definitely changes to how I go about my day-to-day living [shopping for food and/or supplies is just not fun anymore], I have to say that i feel lucky to have had a pretty good go of it so far. The only really terrible thing we have experienced was our oldest cat suddenly had a rapid decline in health over a 3-day span a few weeks ago, and we had to have her put to sleep. She was 16 and we miss her. And we've also found out that our 12 year old Schnauzer has terminal cancer - we are hoping he will get to live out the summer, but theres a tumor growing on his heart that is also beginning to block his air passageways.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Funny, I’m never bored. Ever. I love being at home, but I do prefer being outside. I split between my apartment and my GF’s house. I’ve been very glad to be in the house for that very reason!

I do need to find more exercise. This little belly is now a gut!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I've been working ... we haven't had a C19 in our hospital for a couple of weeks now although it looks like they might be coming back soon. It never got too sketchy here; I think the most positives we had at one time was less than 10. But it was complicated dealing with all the gear and disinfecting everything when I got home.

When I was still face-to-face with patients who were positive I divided my house into red (my bedroom and my bathroom), yellow (hallway, entry area, laundry room) and green (everywhere else; my wife moved into a downstairs bedroom for a bit) zones. I would change before leaving the hospital, strip down and shower the second I got home, toss everything in the washer and then wipe down everything I touched. I've been a little more relaxed lately since we cleared out our unit and are back to our usual patients. I feel like this was preparation for the real surge here.

I had the great joy of helping to transfer a C19-positive patient between beds when she pulled down her mask and coughed directly in my face. I was wearing full PPE with face shield and I said politely "Please keep your mask on" but in my head I was shouting "WHAT THE *SQUEE* LADY!" The people I work with are amazing and fearless but everybody is being careful to the extreme. I was never too worried about getting infected but I see how it could happen.

I feel good about what I am doing as a nurse; I wish there was a way to wrap this up quickly with a vaccine. I wish I could go to San Diego and other places this year. I wish I could go out and get chicken wings and beer (not ready to go to restaurants yet). My wife is not working right now and she is doing project after project around the house. My kids are both back home (my son actually works at the hospital with me and my daughter is going to college but they closed her dorm so she is online only for now).

I miss Valiant Comics. Hopefully they get their *SQUEE* together. Dino was on such a roll before all the *SQUEE*. He's not coming back and it's time for somebody over there to step up.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I'm stayed extremely frustrated with the whole ordeal. I was closely following the cases and reports form China and the WHO since they first announced it was related to SARS back in January. (I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to emerging infectious diseases. I feel pretty strongly that I'll be alive when "The Big One" hits that takes a chunk of the population out - this ain't even close to it though.)

When it started getting some mass media coverage in February I had lots of health care staff asking me what I thought, and I said I wasn't very worried about it. (I'm still not.)

It definitely ended up being much worse that I anticipated, but this virus is weird. Anybody telling you that they know with certainty anything about this virus is an idiot. The worst thing is that it became politicized early on and that threw away any chance of actually figuring out anything about it scientifically. (Similar to climate change - you can't trust anyone making money from the field, scientific or industry, because there is too much money involved on either side). So, now we have no real attempts to figutmre this thing out. Reporting is a mess with both problems of underreported cases in some areas with over reporting in others.

And don't get me started on the masks. I have yet to find any data supporting use of universal masking (especially with cloth masks). I keep looking, but it ain't there. But that hasn't stopped everyone from breaking into two camps of mask ideology.

I keep thinking about this scene [/youtube] from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I hear people ranting about masks.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The hospital is empty as is the ER. Pretty much everywhere this is true: we had a candidate for a position because the other doctor covering the hospital was fired and I'm having to cover twenty shifts a month (24hr shifts) - one of the candidates works in NYC in pediatric hospitals and said they were empty. It really is just old people for the most part. The other candidate just started a job in Maryland in February, but was laid off because there are no patients. I almost lost my job - as the hospitalist covering the only pediatric ward in the county. This is nuts.

The upside is lots of time with the family and basically no projects around the house are left to do. So, I got my library card and started placing holds for ebooks. I'm doing a chronological read of Stephen King (after I read The Gunslinger) and I picked up A Discovery of Witches while I waited for Dale's Lot to be available. I'm really enjoying getting back to reading.

Also, I hacked my and my son's 3DSs because his Pokémon cartridge corrupted and was unplayable, but I was able to backup his save and install the game directly to his 3DS with the hacks. So, now we're having fun fiddling with those. That's also got me fiddling with emulators on my Shield TV, so I can get the old 90s multiplayer beat em ups (TMNT, The Avengers, etc.) running for me and him to play together.

I'm glad things are slowly getting back to normal, but I cannot wait until October/November when everyone is way more interested in the illusion of democracy that is the presidential elections than a virus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Covid for me is a bit different than most, my gf is on mat leave until august (in Canada you can get up to 18 months) for our first child. And I left my job at the end of last year to move into real estate. The real estate program in Ontario was completely overhauled last year, so there have been some kinks, and now other delays due to COvid. I’m hoping to be up and running in 7-9 weeks.

Last summer I bought a collection of 10k comics and I’ve used this time to organize and sell a lot of it; I made great strides expanding my eBay sales and selling locally. I’ve been on the hunt for other collections as well and scooped up a TOS 39 (at cgc now).

I’ve also been reading some tpbs out of the collections I’ve bought: I’ve plowed through a number of Batman books and thoroughly enjoyed The Cult!!

Last week was the first week I was able to access our cottage (during the crazy warm weather) there was a prohibition on crossing the border from Ontario to Quebec. I’m hoping to get up again there soon as we have a few projects to do....if anyone has knowledge on installing concrete tracks for cars on a gravel driveway I’m all ears, lol!

I’ve stayed in shape by biking a lot and took advantage of free yoga videos from a well known local studio, as well as doing some weights that I borrowed from my brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm stayed extremely frustrated with the whole ordeal. I was closely following the cases and reports form China and the WHO since they first announced it was related to SARS back in January. (I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to emerging infectious diseases. I feel pretty strongly that I'll be alive when "The Big One" hits that takes a chunk of the population out - this ain't even close to it though.)

When it started getting some mass media coverage in February I had lots of health care staff asking me what I thought, and I said I wasn't very worried about it. (I'm still not.)

It definitely ended up being much worse that I anticipated, but this virus is weird. Anybody telling you that they know with certainty anything about this virus is an idiot. The worst thing is that it became politicized early on and that threw away any chance of actually figuring out anything about it scientifically. (Similar to climate change - you can't trust anyone making money from the field, scientific or industry, because there is too much money involved on either side). So, now we have no real attempts to figutmre this thing out. Reporting is a mess with both problems of underreported cases in some areas with over reporting in others.

And don't get me started on the masks. I have yet to find any data supporting use of universal masking (especially with cloth masks). I keep looking, but it ain't there. But that hasn't stopped everyone from breaking into two camps of mask ideology.

I keep thinking about this scene [/youtube] from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I hear people ranting about masks.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. The hospital is empty as is the ER. Pretty much everywhere this is true: we had a candidate for a position because the other doctor covering the hospital was fired and I'm having to cover twenty shifts a month (24hr shifts) - one of the candidates works in NYC in pediatric hospitals and said they were empty. It really is just old people for the most part. The other candidate just started a job in Maryland in February, but was laid off because there are no patients. I almost lost my job - as the hospitalist covering the only pediatric ward in the county. This is nuts.

The upside is lots of time with the family and basically no projects around the house are left to do. So, I got my library card and started placing holds for ebooks. I'm doing a chronological read of Stephen King (after I read The Gunslinger) and I picked up A Discovery of Witches while I waited for Dale's Lot to be available. I'm really enjoying getting back to reading.

Also, I hacked my and my son's 3DSs because his Pokémon cartridge corrupted and was unplayable, but I was able to backup his save and install the game directly to his 3DS with the hacks. So, now we're having fun fiddling with those. That's also got me fiddling with emulators on my Shield TV, so I can get the old 90s multiplayer beat em ups (TMNT, The Avengers, etc.) running for me and him to play together.

I'm glad things are slowly getting back to normal, but I cannot wait until October/November when everyone is way more interested in the illusion of democracy that is the presidential elections than a virus.

Let me know what new King books you pickup, I’m in need of some fiction. Last books I read were the Rothfuss books, Name of the Wind and am looking for something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I saw some guys get launched into space from just a few miles away. It was pretty awesome to cross off a lifelong dream like that.

My son has been wanting to see a launch since we moved here, but days off work has never coincided until today. I told him I just wanted his first to be an historic one...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Definitely one of the coolest things about living down in your neck of the woods. Usually we can see the launches up here but it was too overcast for that one.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

My quarantine experience has been relatively mild, as in it really isn't bothering me too much. I have a comfortable chair, and a decent desk. Carpal Tunnel still flairs up more at home than at work, so maybe the desk isn't as decent as I thought. Wife is working from home too, and it looks like she will be here until at least October. She's a state worker who works for Paid Family Medical Leave, so she has been neck deep in Covid stuff. She is worlds more stressed than I am (computers). Telework, Teams meetings, phone calls, I talk all day long, so not having tons of interaction is fine with me. I seriously miss the gym! That maybe the worst thing for me regarding Covid, no gym. Much like NYCJadie, my belly has gotten bigger. With no physical part of my job, I don't get up nearly as much as I should. Been walking the dog, but need more. I am saving a lot of money! No commute means less gas purchased, which means I don't go out to lunch, and buy less frivolous garbage.

Collection - Been doing OK, couple of nice purchases. The viewing of Bloodshot had me so pumped up! Kevin VanHook was coming to ECCC, Dinesh was going to be there with the entire Bad Idea crew. Was gonna have Kevin sign a ton of stuff (including posters), but Covid took all that away. Still got the pre-screening movie in though, so got my hands on movie shirts, posters, and the comic movie cover. Early on during Covid, picked up all of the first appearances of Komander Bloodshot, to include pencils, inks, and character layout. Currently deciding if I want to buy the fight scene pages where he loses his head. Landed a couple of hard to find Bloodshot (2012) #25 books, both the Perlin and the Hitch. The Perlin looks to be possibly a 9.6 and the Hitch is a 9.4, not the best copies, but at this point, there just isn't much out there (where are they all?). Still actively looking for better 2012 Bloodshot books, just in case there is a seller out there. Picked up a couple of the Bad Idea posters, man they look sharp! My LCS still had a FCBD (kind of), so I picked up gift cards that when used, all items will be discounted 20%. Mainly though, I just miss out on auctions. I'm that guy that always seems to get outbid at the last second, regardless of what prices have been in the past, lol.

Reading - Picked up the Bloodshot Omnibus for $33, found that to be a wonderful steal! Since I've never read older Bloodshot, figured I would give it a shot. been skimming over many of the Valiant HC's, re-reading Gideon Falls and some newer Batman (Curse of the White Knight) I had squirreled away.

Gaming - I do more gaming, that's for certain. Now that I'm older, I prefer strategy games vs FPS's. Been messing a little with my gaming laptop, new hard drive and the like. Still on many of the older games I've played in the past, starting other old games like Civilization (which I love). Was mostly playing through Steam, but recently my son turned me onto Epic Games and their free games each Monday (Borderlands - The Handsome Collection is free this week). It's all mind numbing, masking the fact that I am bored.

Me - I will say one thing, that back yard is gonna be a very nice escape! Besides the regular yard work that gets done, the extra projects have been a blast! Trimming trees that have been needing it for years, half wine barrels turned to standing garden beds that have 4x4 polls to hang lights and flowers from. Kind have been enjoying some of the learning I get from my work. Fish & Wildlife have tons of very smart people, and I pick up tons of tid-bits from them. Lots of purple flowers, brings the bumbles around. Love bumble bees, they're fun to watch, and it gives them a place to collect with zero pesticides. Can't save the world, just can do my part.
Moose

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by lobo »

Quarantine has been an easy adjustment for me and my spouse. Thankfully we live in a city that has had low numbers of infections/deaths so the overall mood has not been grim. I continue to work but I have much more time for home 'projects' getting done

The big news is that I found a used heat press to purchase locally and I'm learning to press comics on my own and having increasingly better results. It's definitely an 'easy to learn, hard to master' proposition!
As a result my submissions to CGC have started up again this week after a long hiatus, and there will be Valiant books going in. I've also spend over 100 hours thus far going through my collection/hoard idenifying books that are suitable for pressing and coming back in HG.

I also have to say that pandemic time has been a boon for selling online and I've moved alot of books (and LEGO!). My buying has maintained the same pace no matter what but the money coming back in has been great.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

As an IT guy it's not bothering me at all; at least not when it comes to work and the usual daily routines. If anything I'm now saving more than an hour each day because I don't have to drive to the work place; maybe 1-2 times per month only. Everybody in my family is able to work from home except my brother-in-law who is a carpenter but the company's he's working at wasn't forced to lock down and he only had to stay home for only 2 or 3 different days when some customers had canceled their appointment. As a carpenter it's not a bad thing to have some extra days off....as their neighbor is currently reconstructing his house.

The numbers from my county are:
280,000/469/20 (with 39 persons still in private quarantine and 1 infected in ICU)

Which is next to Cologne:
1,085,000/2,475/99 (40/8)

Here's why Germany has a comparatively low fatality rates (simply search for Germany; sit down first as you may laugh). This scientist is clueless though. Since when it Germany "geographically isolated"? Does Great Britain have land boarders to 9 other countries now? Besides, I lived in Vietnam for 8 years, was bitten by a mosquito once (that is 1 mosquito bite) and it got me dengue fever.....huzzah. Maybe the dark matter isn't very strong with me.

Sports & Weather - I'm going jogging every day unless it's raining like today which happens to be the first rainy day in weeks. If this pandemic is good for something then it's blue skies and fresh air. Well, today's everything grey again. The Bundesliga is still up and running...the top 3 leagues, cup, and women's league.

Dentist - Like Chiclo I needed a checkup but I really don't feel the urge to go to see any doctor right now. Okay, I admit, dentists are on top of my phobia list. Right after pigeons. Pigeons and dentists. Ugh.

Comics - haven't really read or bought anything since end of March. I didn't even pledge for any new Kickstarter. Not sure what's going on with my LCS and when they'll be receiving new comics again? Maybe it's time to stop collecting? I'm not missing reading comics at this point. Weird.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, in my boredom (and spurred by Nintendo making a crap product in my son's Pokémon Y game that he wanted to play after a couple years of not being interested in it), I have been hacking several handheld consoles of my family's with custom firmware. I like to mod consumer electronics. I find it fascinating.

So my son's Pokémon game wouldn't load at all when he went to play it. Apparently there is some sort of drm built j to the game cartridge to prevent people from altering their saves and his cartridge failed because it incorrectly thought he had tried to modify it. Well, I set out on a quest and was able to mod my 3DS and his, recover the save on his now bricked and unusable cartridge that we paid about $50 for, and I found a copy of the game to load on his SD card with the new custom firmware. Problem fixed.

However, this also allowed me to (after 7 years of wanting to do this but Nintendo not allowing transfer of a completely free game to any 3DS I own - we gave Nintendo money for 4 different 3DS systems in a family of 3) finally copy my download of Zelda Four Swords Anniversary Edition to our other 3DS consoles so, my wife, my son, and I could play this multi-player game together. I also dumped every cartridge I own to my SD card, so I don't have to lug the cartridges around anymore. You can purchase digital versions on the Nintendo eShop, but Nintendo has a policy of the games being tied to a specific console, so no one else could play a digital game without buying another copy - very annoying and money-grubbing system. Sony allows installation on several devices (I think 5).

Anyway, this lead to Vita hacking which allowed me to increase my storage on my Vita (the best handheld ever made and one of my favorite gaming systems I've ever owned). I paid around $100 a few years ago for a 64gb proprietary memory card that failed shortly after I bought it. Sonny's cards were expensive and sucked royally and had very limited space. Now, I spent $6 on an adapter and $20 on a 128gb microSD card and doubled my space with a more reliable card.

Most devices get broken wide open and open to piracy. I will never understand why companies spend so much money making their devices less consumer friendly just to try to stop piracy. The end result is ALWAYS that the paying, loyal, legitimate consumer has to deal with the malfunctioning software/hardware as a result of anti-piracy methods and the pirate's can build workarounds so their hardware/software always works right. It's so frustrating.

Having said all of the above, I pay for my games. I don't download "free games" unless a system is quite old and/or there is no way for me to give a company money for that game purchase (i. e. SNES roms for games not on virtual console or games delisted from the online shops).

I have decided to do a complete playthrough of the Tales of... games. The first one had no English version, so I'm running emulators with translation patched roms on the aforementioned devices - it's been really fun. I own the vast majority of these games on various consoles, but I had to round up the Japanese only versions that were never available in the US. I'm only missing the last 3 on the ps4 (one is currently on sale - Tales of Zesteria) and two that were never translated (I might download a translated script and play with that pulled up on my phone, but we'll see).