[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Marvel Series 1 cards

Post by depluto »

What the hell is going on with these? Common cards are going for surprising money (Stan Lee for $50 ... not just once but a pile of them).

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Marvel Series 1 cards

Post by magnus20009 »

So in other words there is a chance all my Unity card and Valiant Era card doubles will be worth a fortune then when the card bubble moves to valiant :hope: :kidaround:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Interesting. I never thought these would be worth anything ever again.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I've been waiting for Valiant cards to pop too.

The Marvel Universe stuff blew up because people are finding that it's very difficult to pull PSA 10's from the population of cards, and then that has generated that FOMO interest where everyone wants a set now. Marvel Cards in general are on fire though. Here's some of my recent Marvel Card activity:

-a month ago a guy offer me 10 grand for one of my RIttenhouse Downy Autos through my Instagram (I turned it down)
-At the beginning of the month I sold a Marvel U I set with the holos for just under $500 bucks & a series 2 with holos for a hundred bucks
-Middle of the month I sold a factory sealed Masterpieces I tin set for a little over $300 a week and a half ago and a sealed wax box of '93 Masterpieces for just under $200 last week.
-Same guy who offered to buy my Downey bought one of my Rittenhouse Rhodey Terrence Howard autos for $130
-Been selling Kitchen Sink Press Crow inserts, Donruss Marvel singles and Ghost In The Shell singles all month as well

Over the years I must've had 7 sets of Marvel Universe I but sold them now and again for next to nothing. Very frustrating. I've got another Universe I set here in a cube that I want to move, but it's missing 12 cards to be complete, and I've got a monster box of Marvel Universe cards with a row remaining of Marvel U series I to move as well. I've also been prepping quite a few chase cards and insert cards from the various Iron Man sets possibly including a full costume card set from Rittenhouse Iron Man I.

Image Image

I've had some offers for some of my PSA 10 Iron Man collection as well. That's been difficult to turn down because those are selling for anywhere between $550 and $750 a card right now.

Image Image

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Cards have gone crazy. I went from never having received a message via PSAcards where I have over 2,000 cards registered with scans (how I managed my graded cards) to getting random messages almost every day asking if I am selling or would consider selling.

Given what has happened to sports (mine are all hockey) I likely should sell as I would never pay even close to what they are going for now but I still enjoy them. I am certainly not adding to the collection though.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnus20009 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:59:52 pm Cards have gone crazy. I went from never having received a message via PSAcards where I have over 2,000 cards registered with scans (how I managed my graded cards) to getting random messages almost every day asking if I am selling or would consider selling.

Given what has happened to sports (mine are all hockey) I likely should sell as I would never pay even close to what they are going for now but I still enjoy them. I am certainly not adding to the collection though.
See that's my issue with selling some of the stuff I've got. It's not easy to turn down ten grand for a Downey auto for example. But here's the thing - Iron Man is my thing and so it's not just another quality auto in my collection. And if I sell it, I honestly don't know if I'd ever buy it again. If I believed that the prices would come down significantly in a year or two, I'd do it - like a good investor.

But you have to remember that there are multiple constraints to the decision. It's not just whether or not the prices will come down so you can buy back in, but also things like what's the greater market availability? What's the availability at the price point you are comfortable re-entering on? What's the time frame you'll have to wait to find it?

I have a modest collection of PSA 10 sports cards - certainly not as impressive a set as yours, but I've got a few movers. And it's the same thing.... I'm crazy not to sell them now, but we are talking some deep-ownership cards, you know? This is a market where it's possible to sell those items that transcend price by virtue of ownership.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29:01 pm Interesting. I never thought these would be worth anything ever again.
You've clearly stated the foundation upon which most collectible empires are built. :kidaround:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Disposable income from the pandemic burned through sports and Pokemon and finally found comic cards. Act now, cause there's no way this lasts once people are going on vacations again. Or just paying for gas due to commuting.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:38:18 pm Disposable income from the pandemic burned through sports and Pokemon and finally found comic cards. Act now, cause there's no way this lasts once people are going on vacations again. Or just paying for gas due to commuting.
That and the possibility that when the people doing the current inflated-cost-buying turnaround and go to sell, you better believe they won't want to take a loss. The asking prices that are going to stem from the buyer's remorse follow-up selling are going to be insane.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45:26 pm
Chiclo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29:01 pm Interesting. I never thought these would be worth anything ever again.
You've clearly stated the foundation upon which most collectible empires are built. :kidaround:
I used to pick these up in collections and have them away. Even the card collectors wanted them. Intereothat some folks like them.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I doubt if the prices can hold long-term, but I also believe that the current generation(s) of investors aren't interested in traditional investments.

If I can put money into some stock which #1 might be a company that I use (Amazon, Google), or #2 it might be some company that I've never heard of that is a suggested investment by a financial expert, or #3 I can put that money into a card or comic book that has meaning to me, certified by a third-party, with a history of sales that I can check, or #4 a cryptocurrency with a recent history of rising quickly... it's easy to see why some people pick #1, financial advisors love #2, and more people are picking #3 and #4.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I'm all for cross-generational pop-culture investments - I imagine that's clear to everyone here.

But I don't really know that millenials are the ones doing the buying, let alone at that magnitude. Those guys want Pokemon cards and Power Rangers stuff.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I listed about 20 commons starting at $2 each. Just curious to see if that *SQUEE* actually sells.

But I haven’t sold anything on eBay for a year and the made it a real pain to start selling again, sheesh.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Meh. Sold three cards, made $14.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

depluto wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:46:46 pm Meh. Sold three cards, made $14.
Well here's another way to look at it - if you made 14 bucks that probably paid for the monster box of comic cards you bought years ago and have been sitting in your basement all that time. The glass is half full, man! :)

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Oh for sure, I just relisted all the ones that didn’t sell. I have a lot of the holograms and chase cards from all the old Marvel sets. Maybe I’ll list some of them.

A few years ago I paid for much of my San Diego trip by selling singles from the Marvel Masterpieces 1996 set. I usually just keep any cards I think are valuable since they don’t take up much space.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Well let us know how those single sales go. I sold a couple singles as well, but the only one that yielded any real return I think was a $7 or so Captain America card from the first Impel set.

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

Thanks for the tip. My brother collected these when he was a wee lad and I told him about this. He just posted his 3 marvel series sets. All complete in great condition. He’s hoping to get $600 total. We’ll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

aj583 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:48:29 pm Thanks for the tip. My brother collected these when he was a wee lad and I told him about this. He just posted his 3 marvel series sets. All complete in great condition. He’s hoping to get $600 total. We’ll see!

The bulk of that 600 will come from the Series I set. I'd say it's still possible but he's going to have to find his buyer because the hype is settling on this fad explosion as quickly as it blew up.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Just sold a couple more for $10 each ... both Spider-Man cards.

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

IMJ wrote:
aj583 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:48:29 pm Thanks for the tip. My brother collected these when he was a wee lad and I told him about this. He just posted his 3 marvel series sets. All complete in great condition. He’s hoping to get $600 total. We’ll see!

The bulk of that 600 will come from the Series I set. I'd say it's still possible but he's going to have to find his buyer because the hype is settling on this fad explosion as quickly as it blew up.
Yes, I think you’re dead on. That’s why he posted his auction this weekend. He does have a nice set so hopefully he gets something reasonable by next weekend. He’s 0 EBay sales in the last 90 days might not help him. Lol.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

depluto wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44:09 pm Just sold a couple more for $10 each ... both Spider-Man cards.
Did you list bins, dep or did you run auctions? Just curious.
Singles at 10 bucks now and again is a great way to go. You've just got to be careful that you are inviting problems from that unreasonable buyer who makes a photo judgement thinking he's got his PSA 10 winner, and then he gets the card and finds a flaw and you get an unreasonable "What the hell!?" email of nonsense.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I listed them at $1.99 with a BIN of $9.99, with the Stan Lee ones at $9.99/$19.99. I have bids on a couple but it looks like the market is pretty saturated now so I will probably take my $40 and buy a comic.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Marvel Metal is blowing up now I guess. I'm going to look into it tomorrow, but if what I read is verifiable I'm going to sell my base set with the original binder for 500.

I always planned on completing what I needed for the silver flasher set as well, but I never got around to it.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Oh good ... I got a stack of those somewhere lol.