Ninjak (2021) #4

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Ninjak (2021) #4

Post by SwiftMann »

Eight pages in and we learn the answer to the question, "What if it was a different artist?" Answer, better to look at but still not a great book. Jeff Parker's story is just not very engaging, and I usually love his work.

We also learned that "four issues and done for six months" is the publishing model now. Between this and the Kickstarters, it's hard to see Valiant making it into 2023.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: Ninjak (2021) #4

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I have this on my standing order and will continue to buy it, only because i have every issues VEI has produced, but i've stopped reading it after issue 2.

The art work is just so distracting for me and it pulls me out of the story. The first issue seemed engaging enough, but i couldn't finish the second issue without giving myself one of those light sensitivity fits. It's disappointing because Ninjak is one of my favourites characters. I really hope they pair this comic up with an artist that is similar to Ninjak art in the past. It doesn't have to be the same, just similar
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Benny_Decker
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong

Post by Benny_Decker »

Why do all the books now take a break after 4 issues?
Last edited by Benny_Decker on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:34:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Valiant YouTube channel called Valiant Victories: https://youtube.com/channel/UCap3ihoc_p22e3pogjO_znw

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

https://pulidooninjak.blogspot.com/2021 ... l.html?m=1

It's weird that they replaced Pulido on the last half of the issue even though he finished it all.

I initially was into the idea of Pulido on Ninjak but when I saw the pages I didn't like that he went even more simple than his previous style and was doing all the weird cutesy storytelling that was more distracting than clear. Simplistic art can be good but this just went to far IMO and was an odd tone for a Ninjak book. Oh well just another example of the Valiant folks throwing random stuff at the wall :?

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Ryan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57:02 am https://pulidooninjak.blogspot.com/2021 ... l.html?m=1

It's weird that they replaced Pulido on the last half of the issue even though he finished it all.
Maybe they hated the coloring of those pages as much as I do?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:18:38 am
Ryan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57:02 am https://pulidooninjak.blogspot.com/2021 ... l.html?m=1

Maybe they hated the coloring of those pages as much as I do?
:lol: Fair enough, but they're the ones that hired him and have approved everything for 3 and a half issues? I agree it's distracting and doesn't appeal to me, but if I was editor I would've known that on page 1. Just weird decision making, but that's been the norm there

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:57:21 am I have this on my standing order and will continue to buy it, only because i have every issues VEI has produced, but i've stopped reading it after issue 2.

The art work is just so distracting for me and it pulls me out of the story. The first issue seemed engaging enough, but i couldn't finish the second issue without giving myself one of those light sensitivity fits. It's disappointing because Ninjak is one of my favourites characters. I really hope they pair this comic up with an artist that is similar to Ninjak art in the past. It doesn't have to be the same, just similar
I had actually started to appreciate the art (creative), and oops new artist.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Just picked this issue up, haven’t read issue 2 and 3 as #1 was so bad. The change of artist helped somewhat but the colouring is still a bit yeuchh! I kind of liked the story but my expectations of Valiant has dropped significantly. Certainly this is better than XO, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Psi Lords etc

3/5