Armor Hunters #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

RogueJedi74
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A
Re: Armor Hunters #2 Discussion

Post by RogueJedi74 »

KXXX wrote:That last panel... that was *SQUEE* awesome. That's the kind of thing I've been waiting for.
Talk about a hook for the next book. I was feeling the same way.
KXXX wrote:I'm still wondering about the implications of Reebo and Malgam seeming to be humans, although from another planet. I mentioned this in the thread for the last XO issue, no one wanted to bite. I think this is worth theorizing on because, so far, almost everything has been very earth-centric.
Interesting. In a couple of panels it looks like primary had mask over his face. Maybe ties into why Primary wants to stop after this one. It hits too close to home.
KXXX wrote:Aside from that, great pacing and art. I think the dogs were borderline cheese, but I'm so looking forward to seeing how it plays out with Lilt and Bloodshot. The dogs do seem to have some kind of mechanical composition, and Lilt seems to communicate with them via some sort of audible code (his whistling), which makes me wonder if it's more technological than it looks at first and if that will spell trouble for Bloodshot's nanites.
But I think that is where Livewire steps in and will turn the tide that kills Lilt. Then I am sure that Primary will send the full assault and the blood bath begins.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Wow, Vditty is killing it with this crossover. Cannot wait to see where this story goes and I'm even more stoked for the Bloodshot issue.

Definitely getting a mogwai/gremlin vibe with the armors.
Seriously - who got water on Shanhara & then fed the offspring after midnight? Idjits!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

KXXX wrote:Holy *SQUEE*...

I mean holy *SQUEE* *SQUEE*.

That last panel... that was *SQUEE* awesome. That's the kind of thing I've been waiting for.

I'm still wondering about the implications of Reebo and Malgam seeming to be humans, although from another planet. I mentioned this in the thread for the last XO issue, no one wanted to bite. I think this is worth theorizing on because, so far, almost everything has been very earth-centric.

Aside from that, great pacing and art. I think the dogs were borderline cheese, but I'm so looking forward to seeing how it plays out with Lilt and Bloodshot. The dogs do seem to have some kind of mechanical composition, and Lilt seems to communicate with them via some sort of audible code (his whistling), which makes me wonder if it's more technological than it looks at first and if that will spell trouble for Bloodshot's nanites.
Anybody else a little bit bothered by Lil looking like Sebulba from some angles? Sebulba is the meanie Anakin races in Phantom Menace.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
KXXX wrote:Holy *SQUEE*...

I mean holy *SQUEE* *SQUEE*.

That last panel... that was *SQUEE* awesome. That's the kind of thing I've been waiting for.

I'm still wondering about the implications of Reebo and Malgam seeming to be humans, although from another planet. I mentioned this in the thread for the last XO issue, no one wanted to bite. I think this is worth theorizing on because, so far, almost everything has been very earth-centric.

Aside from that, great pacing and art. I think the dogs were borderline cheese, but I'm so looking forward to seeing how it plays out with Lilt and Bloodshot. The dogs do seem to have some kind of mechanical composition, and Lilt seems to communicate with them via some sort of audible code (his whistling), which makes me wonder if it's more technological than it looks at first and if that will spell trouble for Bloodshot's nanites.
Anybody else a little bit bothered by Lil looking like Sebulba from some angles? Sebulba is the meanie Anakin races in Phantom Menace.
:lol: I thought Lilt looked like Grievous.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Superb stuff from VDitti!! Armor Hunters is shaping up to be even better than Planet Death and Harbinger Wars as 'events'.

Loved the line from Capshaw asking "see if Mr Bloodshot wants a shirt" which is amusing in the context of the story and also highlighting that Bloodshot is always 'shirtless' which is a bit ridiculous!

Also loved Ninjak using the apt phrase "bollocks" to convey the predicament he was in, very British thing to say!

Great story and art 4.5 / 5 :thumb: :clap:

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Is it too much to hope that the Lady Colonel ends up maimed, wounded, or perhaps even killed in this upcoming action? Her actions with Malgram just to prove a point to Aric here brings her callousness fully into the light.

What is Primary's main goal here, Aric or his friend Malgram? His talk to Lilt over retiring after this mission would suggest that he is compromised over this mission due to his friend's condition which would also explain his sudden jump in tactics and procedures that the other Hunters keep questioning. And if Livewire is somehow able to quell the parasitic nature of the armors, could she potentially save Malgram at some point?

Either way, I'm more interested now to see more of the duo's backstory in upcoming issues of X-O. Vendetti is building an event with some real meat and teeth to it here, well done.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

String wrote:Is it too much to hope that the Lady Colonel ends up maimed, wounded, or perhaps even killed in this upcoming action? Her actions with Malgram just to prove a point to Aric here brings her callousness fully into the light.

What is Primary's main goal here, Aric or his friend Malgram? His talk to Lilt over retiring after this mission would suggest that he is compromised over this mission due to his friend's condition which would also explain his sudden jump in tactics and procedures that the other Hunters keep questioning. And if Livewire is somehow able to quell the parasitic nature of the armors, could she potentially save Malgram at some point?

Either way, I'm more interested now to see more of the duo's backstory in upcoming issues of X-O. Vendetti is building an event with some real meat and teeth to it here, well done.
Maybe Primary isn't sure what his main goal is here. After reading X-O 26, I think a full re-read of the entire crossover is going to be necessary once it's complete, or maybe before the final issue of each story comes out.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Pretty enjoyable for me, although the dismemberment of Malgam did not read as something that would be done at all. Also, the insights into the armour's parasitic capabilities seemed to be a very fast leap considering how short a time MERO has been studying Malgam, even with any assumed surreptitious study of Aric.

Those quibbles aside, I still enjoyed the issue on the whole, and look forward to seeing where the story goes.

My one fear is that a lot will be invested into the Armor Hunters, but that at the end of the series they will basically be done as any kind of threat. I think VALIANT needs to broaden its range of recurring threats and foes, and the Hunters could be an opportunity to add to the rogues gallery, but that looks unlikely to me. Breaking protocol by dour,taciturn non-maverick types is usually shorthand for 'someone on your team is going to die' so I think Lilt's days are probably numbered.

One last thing; the Armor Hunters have world-destroying capability, and are capable of destroying X-O level opponents. Presenting a credible resolution to their threat will be a tricky path to negotiate, so that will add interest to seeing how this plays out.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Some characters could end up doing s[pace adventures far from Earth. That would be neat.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Loved the line from Capshaw asking "see if Mr Bloodshot wants a shirt" which is amusing in the context of the story and also highlighting that Bloodshot is always 'shirtless' which is a bit ridiculous!
It was even better when in the next panel that Bloodshot appeared, he was still shirtless :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

In PRS nanites work out for you!!!!!!! Always ripped!!!!!!

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by nutflush76 »

leonmallett wrote:
One last thing; the Armor Hunters have world-destroying capability, and are capable of destroying X-O level opponents. Presenting a credible resolution to their threat will be a tricky path to negotiate, so that will add interest to seeing how this plays out.
This is what makes this crossover interesting for me. It kind of leads to this as being a one time type of enemy though. Once they figure out how to beat them, doesn't it kind of negate their future impact?

It's kind of like Bane from Batman. He broke Batman however, once Batman defeated him, Bane no longer seemed to be the ultimate threat that he was at first.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Just finished the five books from July and I am loving this series, especially the back story in X-O. One question for the group. Did anyone else notice the reading checklist in the back of the books changed the order around a little bit? I am kind of confused which release order to follow now. Unity was 4th on the list and then it was moved up to second place and then they switched the last month of Harbinger and Bloodshot. :?

This series will be nice to read in one giant Deluxe HC. :thumb:

Mkb28

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

mkb28 wrote:Just finished the five books from July and I am loving this series, especially the back story in X-O. One question for the group. Did anyone else notice the reading checklist in the back of the books changed the order around a little bit? I am kind of confused which release order to follow now. Unity was 4th on the list and then it was moved up to second place and then they switched the last month of Harbinger and Bloodshot. :?

Mkb28
I'm just following the most up to date checklist at any given time. Seems to have guided me well so far :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Shadowman99 wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Just finished the five books from July and I am loving this series, especially the back story in X-O. One question for the group. Did anyone else notice the reading checklist in the back of the books changed the order around a little bit? I am kind of confused which release order to follow now. Unity was 4th on the list and then it was moved up to second place and then they switched the last month of Harbinger and Bloodshot. :?

Mkb28
I'm just following the most up to date checklist at any given time. Seems to have guided me well so far :thumb:
Good point! Following the release order each week should do the trick.

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28