Archer & Armstrong #3 - BOOK DISCUSSION

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: Archer & Armstrong #3 - BOOK DISCUSSION

Post by ian_house »

Wait, so that was Ivar appearing to Archer?! *Mind Blown* I thought it was some kind of angelic interaction.

Good call on the Tintin/Haddock similarity!

This issue was filled with great stuff and I'm really looking forward to the badass monks next month.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Best issue of the run. 5/5.

I guess Archer's harbinger abilities didn't have to be popped seeing that the arrow didn't hurt him at all.
ASM Crossover Home

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

MarrowMan wrote:Armstrong acts like a big dolty idiotic buffoon, but I sense deep down, it's all a feign and he's quite brilliant, c'mon he's 10 millenia old.
winner, winner
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

400yrs wrote:Best issue of the run. 5/5.

I guess Archer's harbinger abilities didn't have to be popped seeing that the arrow didn't hurt him at all.
Actually, the scary part would be: What if his ability hasn't been popped yet? What if he is just scratching the surface of his abilities? In the original he could do things like trick shots before he was popped, for example.

I think it is still more likely that he was popped earlier in life through some event, but it would be an interesting take. I dont think he was born with his full abilities, however, like Pete and Darpan.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

BugsySig wrote:

Actually, the scary part would be: What if his ability hasn't been popped yet? What if he is just scratching the surface of his abilities? In the original he could do things like trick shots before he was popped, for example.

I think it is still more likely that he was popped earlier in life through some event, but it would be an interesting take. I dont think he was born with his full abilities, however, like Pete and Darpan.
and Harada

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MarrowMan wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

and Harada

Harada was not born activated like Pete and Darpan

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Elveen wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

and Harada

Well, so he claims...

MarrowMan
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Elveen wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

and Harada

He must've been, he was the First (?) :? How else could it have happened? Guess we'll find out in Harbinger #0 in February.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

MarrowMan wrote:
Elveen wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

and Harada

He must've been, he was the First (?) :? How else could it have happened? Guess we'll find out in Harbinger #0 in February.
He said in the books that it was something about Hiroshima that "activated" him. I think......

oldforce
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by oldforce »

This is easily the funniest comic I read. HILARITY! So fun. Top five book for me after this issue. The "acting" is top notch.

Laugh constantly. 10 millenias worth.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Zaphod wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
greg wrote:The last page was a little shocking and a little hilarious. :D

Boon + Nazis = Tibetan Hitler 'staches
I kinda got that impression too, but the Swastikas looked like they were being used in their original Buddhist positions.

Oh and your Boon theory about the xo being needed looks like it also got shot down.
I'd be on board if those monks didn't have "Hitler" mustache's.

:? :? :?

This title is treading on thin ice for me.
I'm so bored of comic books using 'Nazi' related storylines, it's so cliched..seriously what is the weird obsession? My other concern with this book (and a little with Bloodshot), is that if a character is almost impossible to kill then where's the suspense/danger? So, Armstrong doesn't feel significant pain or bleed from getting shot with an arrow in each eye?

I'm going to continue to support this book because I want the company to succeed. There are some interesting themes to it and I like the art, but I'm not feeling it the way I am the other books.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

ian_house wrote:Wait, so that was Ivar appearing to Archer?! *Mind Blown* I thought it was some kind of angelic interaction.
I may have misheard it, but they talked on the panel about this fleetingly and I remember my reaction being "Wait, that's not Ivar speaking to Archer?" I've been assuming it was.

Again, the topic came and went so quickly I may have misheard something.

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Just got this today. Very good story. :) But I am sad to see Tom die. She has the best lines in this issue. I love how Van Lente inserted those profound lines about faith in between all the ridiculous stuff.

Now that we see Mary-Maria as the Archer with the crossbow, do you think Mary-Maria would die which would be the reason why Obie would make the crossbow his signature weapon?

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

Mary-Maria dying would add a lot of poignancy to Archer's journal entries if he kept writing to her.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

erwinrafael wrote:Just got this today. Very good story. :) But I am sad to see Tom die. She has the best lines in this issue. I love how Van Lente inserted those profound lines about faith in between all the ridiculous stuff.

Now that we see Mary-Maria as the Archer with the crossbow, do you think Mary-Maria would die which would be the reason why Obie would make the crossbow his signature weapon?
That's what I was thinking, considering his name is Archer and he's been all over the covers with his crossbow now we are 3 issues in and he hasn't even touched a crossbow. It has to be something big like Mary-Maria's death, this may some how lead him to train with the hitler monks. I noticed they were addressed as the "keepers of the La-Chen monestary of Ladakh", if I'm not mistaken the Ladahk monestary is where V1 Archer received his training.

The Hitler thing seems to be a theme for Van Lente he did the Red Skull mini series and an issue of the Taskmaster LS featured a town full of Hitlers in Brazil.

Hitler-Moustache-Lady Parts-Brazillian...Hmmm :hm:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

hawkeyeps wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:Just got this today. Very good story. :) But I am sad to see Tom die. She has the best lines in this issue. I love how Van Lente inserted those profound lines about faith in between all the ridiculous stuff.

That's what I was thinking, considering his name is Archer and he's been all over the covers with his crossbow now we are 3 issues in and he hasn't even touched a crossbow. It has to be something big like Mary-Maria's death, this may some how lead him to train with the hitler monks. I noticed they were addressed as the "keepers of the La-Chen monestary of Ladakh", if I'm not mistaken the Ladahk monestary is where V1 Archer received his training.

The Hitler thing seems to be a theme for Van Lente he did the Red Skull mini series and an issue of the Taskmaster LS featured a town full of Hitlers in Brazil.

Hitler-Moustache-Lady Parts-Brazillian...Hmmm :hm:
Good point about the training. Wasn't La-Chen also the place where the Book of the Geomancers was being kept when Darque was searching for it? It would make sense if Archer trains in La Chen and finds the Book, which leads to the confrontation with Gilad.

Maybe we will also see Hwen show up? :?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

jmatt wrote:Liked the book. Love the art. The facial expressions are amazing in every issue.
I loved the art too. Very Sean Chen with great, clean, simply symmetry.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Great issue! I loved the art! Fantastic facial expressions! I think the series is living up to the light heartedness of the original series (this may be why I'm able to overlook certain things). My only complaint is the previews for other books make the issues seem so short.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

greg wrote:Why is Archer essentially "undamaged" by the arrow through the gut? :hm:
I was wondering the same thing, besides that, pretty decent issue, lol @ Armstrong.
#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Spylocke wrote:Mary-Maria dying would add a lot of poignancy to Archer's journal entries if he kept writing to her.
I hope FVL gets back to using the journal entry narrative style - it would work so well instead of the third person introductory/recap type blurbs we've seen in #2 & 3. I am missing that, and other than the odd bit of dialogue that feels awkward or out of character I'm really enjoying the series.

Love Clayton's work - Emmanuela(?) looks to be kicking *squee* on the EW arc, but I'm looking forward to seeing Clayton come back to the series after.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
Spylocke wrote:Mary-Maria dying would add a lot of poignancy to Archer's journal entries if he kept writing to her.
I hope FVL gets back to using the journal entry narrative style - it would work so well instead of the third person introductory/recap type blurbs we've seen in #2 & 3. I am missing that, and other than the odd bit of dialogue that feels awkward or out of character I'm really enjoying the series.

Love Clayton's work - Emmanuela(?) looks to be kicking *squee* on the EW arc, but I'm looking forward to seeing Clayton come back to the series after.
Agreed, but it makes sense in the context of the story thus far that Archer hasn't had the opportunity to write in the journal during their globe trotting adventures...unless you count the 8 hour flight from NY to Rome...but maybe he was too disheartened after learning of his parents' betrayal to write then too. :?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

IMJ wrote:I loved the art too. Very Sean Chen with great, clean, simply symmetry.
At the NYCC I went to visit Clayton Henry in the artist area. As he's signing stuff for me, I'm telling him that I just love his clean style. He pauses, reaches over and points out a booklet he's offering on his table: "Clean Art by Clayton Henry". :lol:

I hope VEI keeps him around.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

The best issue of the series so far.

Count me in the group that LOVES the art.

Really looking forward to the introduction of the Eternal Warrior.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

........... facepalm ..... :? ......I'm trying to get into this book. I can see there is a bigger picture and I know this book is going to have ripple down effects on other titles but as of right now, i'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I will continue to collect it to see where it goes and maybe my opinion will change. I mean after I read the 1st issue BS, Harb, X-O and hell even the Shadowman preview I was like wow! I hope this will change for me when EW makes his appearance.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I loved the facial expressions in this issue but was also bothered by the seeming lack of consequences of the arrow puncture. At first I thought I read that wrong, that the arrow was just supposed to be hitting the satchel strap, but no.

Didn't realize until I saw the other thread the issue about the loading of the crossbow.

But for me, the biggest issue with this issue: on page 18, Archer jumps over Armstrong, grabs the satchel, is holding the strap in his hand, and then is punched. Next page: no satchel. Oh noes! It dropped off the scaffolding! Next page: back on Archer's shoulder. Hopefully this is something they can edit for the TPB.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.