X-O: Teleportation?

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
X-O: Teleportation?

Post by jmatt »

We tossed around this concept when Aric was whisked away to Rome while floating outside of the Vine ship. Did it take a thousand years and he was in stasis during the journey? No way of knowing since we know when he arrived but not when he left.

Well, now we know he's headed back to the Vine home world in Planet Death. The case for some kind of teleportation ability grows stronger.

I guess a auxiliary question would be can he travel faster than light as opposed to simply "blinking" from one location to another, and does the distinction matter?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: X-O: Teleportation?

Post by Elveen »

jmatt wrote:We tossed around this concept when Aric was whisked away to Rome while floating outside of the Vine ship. Did it take a thousand years and he was in stasis during the journey? No way of knowing since we know when he arrived but not when he left.

Well, now we know he's headed back to the Vine home world in Planet Death. The case for some kind of teleportation ability grows stronger.

I guess a auxiliary question would be can he travel faster than light as opposed to simply "blinking" from one location to another, and does the distinction matter?

Honestly, I hope it is not teleportation.

swtor1091
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by swtor1091 »

i dont think when he travels time goes by... if that was the case when he gets back from Planet Death another thousand or so years would have passed again... making X-O a future book come issue 15 or so
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Anything can be possible with space travel.

The armor could have warp drive or maybe there is a wormhole that the Vine uses.

How about a Star Gate :)

There's manny possibilities to travel over great distances. We have to wait for XO 9-10 to see how VEI avoids time dilation effects.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I guess that I am to the point where it doesn't really matter with time travel, teleportation or whatever. Seems like most of it is covered, but I tend to check a bit of reality at the door.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

Elveen wrote:
jmatt wrote:We tossed around this concept when Aric was whisked away to Rome while floating outside of the Vine ship. Did it take a thousand years and he was in stasis during the journey? No way of knowing since we know when he arrived but not when he left.

Why?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

drmirage wrote:Anything can be possible with space travel.

The armor could have warp drive or maybe there is a wormhole that the Vine uses.

There's manny possibilities to travel over great distances. We have to wait for XO 9-10 to see how VEI avoids time dilation effects.
A wormhole or Stargate or any other variation of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge would likely involve time travel. It is unlikely that both ends of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge would be at the same time relative to one another. However, it would be possible to pass back through the ERB and end up relatively close to the same time you started.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Rufusharley wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Why?
I'm with Elveen on this. It makes things too easy if he can simply be anywhere he wants with the bat of an eye. But the more likely case would be we hardly ever see it used and readers are simply left wondering why he doesn't teleport away from any dire situation.

It's rare that you see comic heroes use their powers in a way that they would probably be used in real life. In VH1, why doesn't Aric confront every group of baddies from 2,500 feet up, simply picking them off with the armor's precision?

Heck, we even saw an issue where he couldn't see the foe (Krollos) and he commanded the armor to locate it and fire. His arm swung around and fired on the camouflaged enemy all on it's own.

Or why doesn't he simply fly into any confrontation at a thousand miles an hour, obliterate an enemy with simple kinetic force, yo-yo around and nail the next guy the same way until they're all dead?

Cause it's boring. I'm sure V-ditti's thought this through and it will be explained satisfactorily. :hope:

Paradigm38
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Paradigm38 »

I think the armor (which thinks for itself) has the ability to "fold" spacetime, but... exactly how? Well kidddies, we are about to find out!

drmirage
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

The Vine could have acess to a space bridge, similar to what Megatron uses to transport energon cubes to Cybertron.

Chiclo wrote:
drmirage wrote:Anything can be possible with space travel.

A wormhole or Stargate or any other variation of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge would likely involve time travel. It is unlikely that both ends of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge would be at the same time relative to one another. However, it would be possible to pass back through the ERB and end up relatively close to the same time you started.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

I thought of it as a type of teleportation, but it required Aric's pure will or eternal desire to get to Rome so it took him there instantly. Not something he can just say "hey Armor lets go to Japan" *SNAP*. That same pure desire will probably get him to the Vine Planet.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

In Xo #6 you can see "Rings" around Aric and Alex as they escape the burning jet. I believe this is how he teleports.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

MarrowMan wrote:In Xo #6 you can see "Rings" around Aric and Alex as they escape the burning jet. I believe this is how he teleports.
I replied to this in the XO6 thread, but I think it is just a way of showing the flight at high speeds. Pete had a similar ring when flying in Harby 5.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

BugsySig wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:In Xo #6 you can see "Rings" around Aric and Alex as they escape the burning jet. I believe this is how he teleports.
I replied to this in the XO6 thread, but I think it is just a way of showing the flight at high speeds. Pete had a similar ring when flying in Harby 5.
Oh no kidding damn I missed that, thanks.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Paradigm38 wrote:I think the armor (which thinks for itself) has the ability to "fold" spacetime, but... exactly how? Well kidddies, we are about to find out!
That is basically warp drive.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Chiclo wrote:
Paradigm38 wrote:I think the armor (which thinks for itself) has the ability to "fold" spacetime, but... exactly how? Well kidddies, we are about to find out!
No not really, Folding Space is a much different thing.

Fast Forward to 00:31 seconds of this "Event Horizon" trailer

Essentially "Warp" takes time for you to travel from point a to point b

folding space essential makes A&B the Same place in space time, Meaning you arrive there instantaneously.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

MarrowMan wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

folding space essential makes A&B the Same place in space time, Meaning you arrive there instantaneously.
Uh oh facepalm Did you just challenge Chiclo on a physics question? :atomic:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

It's okay. Folding space can take time to travel if you don't (or cannot) fold space sufficiently to get from point A to point B. You keep flying through space and folding space and you get to your destination quicker. What is described at the 31 second mark in that Event Horizon trailer is a wormhole. Wormholes do not generally involve folding space but can take advantage of natural curvatures of space. There has been no indication that the Shanhara armour is capable of spontaneous wormhole generation.

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

Chiclo wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
MarrowMan wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

It's okay. Folding space can take time to travel if you don't (or cannot) fold space sufficiently to get from point A to point B. You keep flying through space and folding space and you get to your destination quicker. What is described at the 31 second mark in that Event Horizon trailer is a wormhole. Wormholes do not generally involve folding space but can take advantage of natural curvatures of space. There has been no indication that the Shanhara armour is capable of spontaneous wormhole generation.
I can accept that. :thumb:

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

So do you think xo #0 could be about the last person or vine to use the armor? Like a millennium ago in theyr history
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:
The trailing flight rings are an attempt to connote the 'burst' that occurs when something breaks the speed of sound and/or the concentric rings (shock diamonds) a jet engine exhibits when afterburner is engaged

MarrowMan

Post by MarrowMan »

wow don't I feel stupid now facepalm thanks for the explanation guys

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

swtor1091 wrote:i dont think when he travels time goes by... if that was the case when he gets back from Planet Death another thousand or so years would have passed again... making X-O a future book come issue 15 or so
I'm wondering if you haven't stumbled onto a potentially shocking new plot development here... why not have XO as a figure in the Valiant future after Planet Death?

We know they have plans to bring back RAI, and at this point can only assume that book will be set in the future as the original RAI series was. So why not place XO into the far future along with RAI? It's a bit radical since the original XO was always a member of the 'present day' VH1 heroes... but really, XO is a sci-fi flavoured book already - and Aric is already a 'man-out-of-his-time' character, this crucial aspect wouldn't change if he came back from the Planet Death storyline into earths far future. Its actually kind of a cool idea, I think!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

grendeljd wrote:
swtor1091 wrote:i dont think when he travels time goes by... if that was the case when he gets back from Planet Death another thousand or so years would have passed again... making X-O a future book come issue 15 or so
I'm wondering if you haven't stumbled onto a potentially shocking new plot development here... why not have XO as a figure in the Valiant future after Planet Death?

We know they have plans to bring back RAI, and at this point can only assume that book will be set in the future as the original RAI series was. So why not place XO into the far future along with RAI? It's a bit radical since the original XO was always a member of the 'present day' VH1 heroes... but really, XO is a sci-fi flavoured book already - and Aric is already a 'man-out-of-his-time' character, this crucial aspect wouldn't change if he came back from the Planet Death storyline into earths far future. Its actually kind of a cool idea, I think!
I agree it's a cool idea and would definetly make Aric think twice before under taking any deep space adventures as he will know there will be a jarring time dialtion when he gets back to Earth. Sounds like he may need a "Time Walker" :hm:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Chiclo wrote:Folding space can take time to travel if you don't (or cannot) fold space sufficiently to get from point A to point B. You keep flying through space and folding space and you get to your destination quicker. What is described at the 31 second mark in that Event Horizon trailer is a wormhole. Wormholes do not generally involve folding space but can take advantage of natural curvatures of space. There has been no indication that the Shanhara armour is capable of spontaneous wormhole generation.
Chewie, take the professor in back and plug him into to the Hyperdrive. :lol: