Harbinger #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Harbinger #6 Discussion

Post by pixierosa »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
pixierosa wrote: the men are just as bad with their ridiculous physiques. But at least they get to wear clothes.
:lol: facepalm
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
depluto wrote:Are you Captain Nutsack?
Nope. I'm the photographer. :banana:
Seriously? The wife had that pop up on her flipboard feed.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
pixierosa wrote: the men are just as bad with their ridiculous physiques. But at least they get to wear clothes.
Only in the People's Gaypublic of Drugifornia...

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Blood of Heroes wrote:

Spidey got Back
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
I was sure you were Spider-Man.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Seriously? The wife had that pop up on her flipboard feed.
No, not seriously.
BugsySig wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
I was sure you were Spider-Man.
Sure! Let's go with that one. :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Blood of Heroes wrote:I'm late to the party, but I just picked up my new books today.

Best issue to date. This book f*cking rocks!!!

One word: getittogether

Blood of Heroes

Elveen wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:I'm late to the party, but I just picked up my new books today.

One day at a time, man. One day at a time.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Elveen wrote:

One day at a time, man. One day at a time.
Don't feel too bad. I finally got my first print copy today.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Looks like I came to the Harby #6 discussion a little late, its already at that 'party's getting gross, give me my pants back' stage! :lol:

I thought this was a superbly written issue. For me it was very believable character development that brings Kris into the 'renegade' group effectively, without feeling forced for the sake of having her there.

As for the art... well, I hate to criticize professional published work, but this issue was a bit inconsistent and the style didn't suit the flavour of the title, in my opinion.

It looks like Briones inked some of his own work and was assisted by Andrew Hennessy for some of it according to the credits, but since there is no specific breakdown of who inked what, its tough to say what is all Briones & what isn't. There is definitely a weaker look to some of the art [some stiffness in facial expressions & figure poses], and overall I would agree with the common sentiment expressed in this thread that the style is too cartoonish.

Thats not to say its bad art - there are great panel & page compositions, great 'camera angle' perspective choices, lots of great background detail [I'm always a fan of panels that take place in an environment instead of a lot of figures on a flat background colour], I'd just say [again] that it doesn't feel suited to the mood of Harbinger.

As to the issue of Faith, I think there is some inconsistency there too. Like they can't quite settle on her look overall, and the different styles of art are reflecting this. I'd go so far as to say that even Khari alone is not quite settled on her look. Personally I have no issue with how fat Faith is portrayed as, though it does seem a tad overly exaggerated from time to time so far.

I would say that I was disappointed with her 'costume' in this issue - it was wayyy off-the-wall and cartoonish. Even though within the context of the character I would expect her to have some kind of silly super-hero costume hiding in her closet that she would be overjoyed to pull out and wear now that she has 'powers', this giant Magnus Robot Fighter inspired dress with the big Z on it was just jarring. It may be I feel this way because I love the cover image sooooo much, and I was kinda secretly hoping to see her in a stolen white Harbinger outfit on the inside as well.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I think the stolen Harbinger Foundation uniforms are coming eventually. It makes sense to go around committing attacks/crimes/etc wearing the uniform of Harada's foundation. It draws extra attention to him, the foundation and anyone else seen wearing he uniform.

Remember, though, in the original Faith just had a sheet tied around her neck at first with some high school science class goggles. So I don't have an issue with her "costume". I bet Kris will put an end to that right-quick.

I am surprised at all the negativity surrounding the art for this issue. After the cluster :censored: that was issue 5, I thought this was a big improvement as far as consistency. This has never been the top art book, and obviously VEI wants to go with something more "out-of-the-box" for Harbinger. So many took issue with Evans' work, and while it grew on me, I thought the change would be better received. I guess that bodes well for the next several issues, though, with the various well known artists stepping in.

Blood of Heroes

grendeljd wrote:Looks like I came to the Harby #6 discussion a little late, its already at that 'party's getting gross, give me my pants back' stage! :lol:
You leave your pants right where they are!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

:banana:

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Looks like I came to the Harby #6 discussion a little late, its already at that 'party's getting gross, give me my pants back' stage! :lol:
:bigeyes:

*Hands unclench*

*pants drop from waist*

:lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:I think the stolen Harbinger Foundation uniforms are coming eventually. It makes sense to go around committing attacks/crimes/etc wearing the uniform of Harada's foundation. It draws extra attention to him, the foundation and anyone else seen wearing he uniform.

Remember, though, in the original Faith just had a sheet tied around her neck at first with some high school science class goggles. So I don't have an issue with her "costume". I bet Kris will put an end to that right-quick.
I'd have preferred to see something like that again.

Good thinking on using stolen outfits. I'm sure we'll see them soon as well.
BugsySig wrote:I am surprised at all the negativity surrounding the art for this issue. After the cluster :censored: that was issue 5, I thought this was a big improvement as far as consistency. This has never been the top art book, and obviously VEI wants to go with something more "out-of-the-box" for Harbinger. So many took issue with Evans' work, and while it grew on me, I thought the change would be better received. I guess that bodes well for the next several issues, though, with the various well known artists stepping in.
Personally, I was trying not to be too harsh or negative about the art - it is good, I just felt overall that it doesn't suit the mood of the book. I don't want to see this tale given a cartoon flavour is all. I'm a much bigger fan of Khari's style for Harbinger, though you are right about #5 - Khari & Mathew Clark's art styles didn't flow well together, even if I do like them both individually.

Blood of Heroes

grendeljd wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
:bigeyes:

*Hands unclench*

*pants drop from waist*

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I think the stolen Harbinger Foundation uniforms are coming eventually. It makes sense to go around committing attacks/crimes/etc wearing the uniform of Harada's foundation. It draws extra attention to him, the foundation and anyone else seen wearing he uniform.

I'd have preferred to see something like that again.

Good thinking on using stolen outfits. I'm sure we'll see them soon as well.
BugsySig wrote:I am surprised at all the negativity surrounding the art for this issue. After the cluster :censored: that was issue 5, I thought this was a big improvement as far as consistency. This has never been the top art book, and obviously VEI wants to go with something more "out-of-the-box" for Harbinger. So many took issue with Evans' work, and while it grew on me, I thought the change would be better received. I guess that bodes well for the next several issues, though, with the various well known artists stepping in.
Personally, I was trying not to be too harsh or negative about the art - it is good, I just felt overall that it doesn't suit the mood of the book. I don't want to see this tale given a cartoon flavour is all. I'm a much bigger fan of Khari's style for Harbinger, though you are right about #5 - Khari & Mathew Clark's art styles didn't flow well together, even if I do like them both individually.
It wasn't that you were overly negative, I have just seen similar comments here and in other places. I prefer Evans as well, but I felt the art was consistent and above average, so it didn't distract from the story, which was the real driving force in this book.

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

EDIT: Mistake post, please delete.
Last edited by manga4life on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

I love that Kris robbed the bank knowing that she was going to give the money to her parents to help with the bills, I also love that she seems to have smoothed things out with Peter while he recovers from his fight last issue. I am pumped that the team is starting to come together and is starting to read like a team book, I just hope that the new members who get introduced are going to be as great as the ones we've seen already. One note about this issue: I liked the guest artist just fine but Evans is so much better and I was a bit distracted reading this issue with the fill in artist, I do hope Evans plans on sticking around for a long time to come.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Spidey got Back
Oh no!!

This thread reminds me of what happens when we don't get new books, it's going to be a long haul to Jan.9 facepalm

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Spidey got Back
Oh no!!

This thread reminds me of what happens when we don't get new books, it's going to be a long haul to Jan.9 facepalm
Well... there IS a little thing called Christmas happening in between Valiant books coming out... it might provide a brief distraction from the withdrawal symptoms! :lol:

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

erwinrafael wrote:The funny thing is that one of the subtext of Faith's character is the implied criticism of people's surface judgment on fat people. On how having a fat character questions the conception of the ideal type of the superhero. And now we're seeing it on this board.
:thumb:

Well said.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

kjjohanson wrote:My main issue with Faith (assuming this version of Faith is anywhere near the original, and it has so far seemed that that is the intention) in this issue is that there is no way in hell she would read 50 Shades of Gray.
Considering how many women (to include teenagers) are reading this book, I think it was perfect for inclusion for her character and the story.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

I thought this was a superbly written issue. For me it was very believable character development that brings Kris into the 'renegade' group effectively, without feeling forced for the sake of having her there.

As for the art... well, I hate to criticize professional published work, but this issue was a bit inconsistent and the style didn't suit the flavour of the title, in my opinion.

As to the issue of Faith, I think there is some inconsistency there too. Like they can't quite settle on her look overall, and the different styles of art are reflecting this. I'd go so far as to say that even Khari alone is not quite settled on her look. Personally I have no issue with how fat Faith is portrayed as, though it does seem a tad overly exaggerated from time to time so far.
I am even later (as mine just made it to Japan). Did anyone else happen to notice Faith's eyes throughout the book? I get that she was activated last issue, but why are her eyes constantly glowing? I don't recall Pete's eyes glowing the entire time. Anyone have an explanation for this weird eye glowing?

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

tarheelmarine wrote:

I am even later (as mine just made it to Japan). Did anyone else happen to notice Faith's eyes throughout the book? I get that she was activated last issue, but why are her eyes constantly glowing? I don't recall Pete's eyes glowing the entire time. Anyone have an explanation for this weird eye glowing?
I think that's the indication of power being used.

Also, the banana smiley has been dangerously over-used in this thread.