XO Manowar #7 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
XO Manowar #7 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

I guess I will start this one off, too. The perks of digital comics and a school that gets the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off. :lol:

Another solid issue. This second arc has really taken off. We get the assembling of our "heroes" and a lot of background on the Vine (including our second glimpse of Avagis) and their "purpose." I use the "" because it isn't much of one. I have to believe there is more to the plantings than even they know, otherwise it seems like a lot of work for no benefit.

We also are yet to get an explanation for the time-lapse between Aric's abduction and return to Earth. I am assuming the Vine are extremely long lived (like plants) and that the colony ships travel at greater than light speed or in some kind of "space" outside of time. I suppose they could always flash back and show Aric in stasis at some point, too, but it doesn't seem likely from what we have seen thus far... :hm:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: XO Manowar #7 Discussion

Post by ShadowTuga »

This was a(nother) fantastic issue. I really LOLed a couple of times ("would you like a cherimoya?") with the dynamic between our "heroes".
I'm also intrigued by the fact that even Alexander doesn't seem to know his own culture that well; I mean, they're not simply trying to preserve their species and growing exotic fruit on the side, are they? :?
And I'm really loving Garbett's art in this arc: simple, yet I can easily read the character's emotions. That and the Shadowman nod... 8-)

5/5. I can not find a flaw in this comic.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Loved this issue! I am liking Garbett's art the more I see of it, although I still prefer Nord overall. I loved the look of the Commando class armor!

The story itself is great. I love the concepts used to create the Vine. The fact that they leave the plantings behind (essentially forever) was a pretty interesting aspect I never would have thought of. Cannot wait for the next issue!
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ShadowTuga wrote:This was a(nother) fantastic issue. I really LOLed a couple of times ("would you like a cherimoya?") with the dynamic between our "heroes".
I'm also intrigued by the fact that even Alexander doesn't seem to know his own culture that well; I mean, they're not simply trying to preserve their species and growing exotic fruit on the side, are they? :?
And I'm really loving Garbett's art in this arc: simple, yet I can easily read the character's emotions. That and the Shadowman nod... 8-)

I must have missed that...please enlighten me :D

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

BugsySig wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:This was a(nother) fantastic issue. I really LOLed a couple of times ("would you like a cherimoya?") with the dynamic between our "heroes".

Page 20, 2nd panel. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ShadowTuga wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Page 20, 2nd panel. :thumb:
First silhouette of Sadiq. :thumb:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Great issue, I love the texture that Venditti is bringing to the Vine.

The differences between the Soldiers, Priests, Plantings and Alexander are very interesting. I think they mirror a realistic society, just as we all don't think alike why should any another species be of one mind as is the comic book standard.

You have the Soldiers who see themselves as a dominant species and are total *SQUEE* who use others for target practice and seem driven to destroy no matter what.

Then you have the Priests with their whole belief system which may seem more altrustic but at the same time they also take slaves and work them to death in their gardens.

Then you have the Plantings who are on earth and are Vine and always have been Vine and they are listening to everything going on with Vine proper doing and their thing just because that's the thing they've always been doing.

Then you have Alexander who is like "wait a minute...I'm Vine and I know what the Vine are all about... but that kind of sucks, I'm much happier being human."

At first I didn't like the new Vine as much as the old Spider Aliens just bassed on grossness and detestability factor but now I like them more due to the depth that is being brought to them. I'm sure they will be a big part of the VU for a long time and some may end up being heroes (Spylocke with Rai :hm: ).

That said a lot them are still *SQUEE* and I'm sure there will be plenty for XO to Paff!

Also some great brutal and witty moments out of Ninjak, I think the panel where Ninjak was standing in the shadow (pg.21) was also a shout out to the black out cover of Shadowman, I had to hold it up to the light to see it better but that's what it reminded me of.

Full marks for this issue :clap:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

BugsySig wrote:We also are yet to get an explanation for the time-lapse between Aric's abduction and return to Earth
I think we can assume this is basic Special Relativity at work.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I picked up my copies and read them on my lunch break I agree 5 outta 5 absolutely amazing.
I do plan to re read them. But on thing had me confused. Who was the boy at the beginning tossing the rock.
I first thought Aric. But Im unsure.
I Miss the good old days.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

nonplayer wrote:I picked up my copies and read them on my lunch break I agree 5 outta 5 absolutely amazing.
I do plan to re read them. But on thing had me confused. Who was the boy at the beginning tossing the rock.
I first thought Aric. But Im unsure.
That's Avagis, the Vine planting who replaced the Visigoth baby in XO #1. :thumb:

As he gets more attention, I am sure he will be a major player in the book at some point. Its similar to the way Darpan has been used in Harbinger.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dr. Solar wrote:
BugsySig wrote:We also are yet to get an explanation for the time-lapse between Aric's abduction and return to Earth
People do pay attention to me. 8-)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dr. Solar wrote:
You know what they say when we assume...

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

4.5 / 5. I still have Harbinger to go, but from this month's round of books, this is the best issue so far. Great art and the plot is moving along nicely. The issues light on the action are usually the best. That way, when you build up to the action, it explodes and pays off. Since the Aric character doesn't have any depth yet, the more Alexander, the better, IMO.
ASM Crossover Home

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

This issue was epic, I loved the ending where Ninjak and Aric were talking about stealth vs power and how Ninjak told Aric he better be ready, it was very well written and definitely set the stage for the next issue. Ninjak is my personal favorite character in all of Valiant right now, his fighting style, characteristics, look, feel, and overall awesomeness has really grown on me and I'm really excited to see how this invasion works out in issue #8 next month.

Alex is definitely a sly cat too, his plan has been awesome and I trust him in this skirmish against the Vine, his character has been growing on me for the past 2 issues as well and I look forward to see where his story goes in the near future.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Can't wait to read #6 and 7! Maybe early next week. :!:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Best issue of Manowar yet. What else is there to say. Fantastic. Brilliantly paced.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Very Much Enjoyed this Issue! :clap:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

For me, November has been the best month across the Valiant line since the re-launch, even Archer & Armstrong (#4) impressed me this month and I've been unsure about that comic thus far. But, X- O is my number one title and issue #7 was exceptional. Loved the first few pages referencing more about Avagis and the other young plantings, this thread seems like it will gather momentum in the coming issues.

V-Ditti's ability to mix 'quiet' moments and high octane action has been one of the main reasons I enjoy this title so much and this issue was no exception. Stand out shock moment has to be the last panel of page 17, "right arm, Fire, left arm, Fire!".... the human captives having their arms blown off was @$$&ing gruesome! Anyone see that coming? I didn't!!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:For me, November has been the best month across the Valiant line since the re-launch, even Archer & Armstrong (#4) impressed me this month and I've been unsure about that comic thus far. But, X- O is my number one title and issue #7 was exceptional. Loved the first few pages referencing more about Avagis and the other young plantings, this thread seems like it will gather momentum in the coming issues.

V-Ditti's ability to mix 'quiet' moments and high octane action has been one of the main reasons I enjoy this title so much and this issue was no exception. Stand out shock moment has to be the last panel of page 17, "right arm, Fire, left arm, Fire!".... the human captives having their arms blown off was @$$&ing gruesome! Anyone see that coming? I didn't!!
I can honestly say that every issue I read this month was the best issue of each series since their premier issues, and some were even better than their premier issue. If this is the trend at VEI, then I am really looking forward to 2013 and beyond.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

BugsySig wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:For me, November has been the best month across the Valiant line since the re-launch, even Archer & Armstrong (#4) impressed me this month and I've been unsure about that comic thus far. But, X- O is my number one title and issue #7 was exceptional. Loved the first few pages referencing more about Avagis and the other young plantings, this thread seems like it will gather momentum in the coming issues.

I can honestly say that every issue I read this month was the best issue of each series since their premier issues, and some were even better than their premier issue. If this is the trend at VEI, then I am really looking forward to 2013 and beyond.

:thumb: I agree. They continue to improve each month.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I liked this one OK, but wouldn't mind a little more heat. And I don't think I like Ninjak, dude seems kind of like a *SQUEE*.

The plot reminded me of this one from Three Amigos:
Sam: Why don't you tell the boys about the Cochise picture, Morty?

Morty: Sandy and Irving are working on it right now. You meet Cochise. At first you think he's a terrible guy. You fight. Then you get to know him. You come to respect each other, and at the end of the picture ... you're friends!

Flugleman: We send you boys to Baja. We shoot the picture in eight days. What do you think?

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

Dug the issue and was glad to see the curtain pulled back a bit on the vine. I would still like to see some more character development out of Aric soon. He is not the defining part of this book yet for me like in the original.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I really think that Alexander's (and other plantings) understanding of the Vine is based on what he has been told by the homeworld Vine. I don't think it's true, but a cover to tell the plantings. It just doesn't make any sense. If it is true then the Vine are merely hive-mind/plant-like indeed and would not be very difficult to eliminate - unless they're based off Kudzu - that stuff is hard to get rid of.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Enjoyed this issue. Cant wait for next one. The truce scene was pretty cool.

Jaknife

Post by Jaknife »

I like Alexander more than I liked Ken. I'm not sure I like that the aliens are called 'the vine'. I mean, I get it, with them being all nature-y and stuff, but an english word, or one thats really easily translated into english... not sure how to phrase it, but I just feel they could be referred to amongst themselves as something more alien. I do think they seem far more menacing than the spider-aliens, who all looked like goofballs.

I wonder whether there will ORB industries or something similar, or whether they will go in a whole new direction from the powerful ceo of the past.

I like this book, but it hasn't really gripped me yet. I just cant help but feel that my familiarity with v1 is filling in gaps(character personalitys, background details, etc) that new valiant has left. If this was the first time id read a valiant title, im not sure id really care for it as much. aric seem pretty thin as a character thus far.