Shadowman #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Re: Shadowman #2

Post by Big Red »

"Alyssa, evil is not a toy. Don't poke that."

:D

Also, I love the book so far.

And I don't have a problem with Mr. Twist. Interesting character, IMHO.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:but I think I get him - there is a bit of a hip/cool cat flavour brought into the character to add something beyond just another stereotypical horned, grotesque 'demon' monster
Yes, but that's something I expect in an action/comedy like, say, Men In Black (the movie).

But it's not something I'd expect in something voodoo-ish, like Serpent And The Rainbow.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Big Red wrote:"Alyssa, evil is not a toy. Don't poke that."

:D

Also, I love the book so far.

And I don't have a problem with Mr. Twist. Interesting character, IMHO.
Lols!

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

Good issue, though not nearly as good as the first both with story and art but still a very good issue none the less (I loved issue #1 so damn much). I love Jack's character, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Twist and Darque, but I'm not digging Dox much as all and the girl that hangs out with him I could take or leave. Maybe with time they'll grow on me but as of right now they're just kinda hanging around, but man....these enemies are awesome and I can't wait to see a big showdown between Darque and Shadowman eventually. The plot has been good so far and I am really looking forward for issue #3.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

On one hand I can at least understand some people's issue with the Mr.Twist/white suit thing.
The other hand tells me he's a demon, consisting of multiple personalities most likely due to the souls wrapped into him---hence he's a bit twisted. Not easy to figure out and prone to be displayed with variation as any story might call for it.

I'm very much into this book. For fairness I will say the friend I lent the first two out to over the Holidays has reported back he's not ready to judge either way. He wanted more VALIANT superhero Shadowman and less Acclaim version. Yes, he didn't like Twist either.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Nice point on the twist name play. Also, some call spellcasting a "twist" (twist a spell), and since Darque created him, he essentially twisted Mr. Twist.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

pixierosa wrote:Nice point on the twist name play. Also, some call spellcasting a "twist" (twist a spell), and since Darque created him, he essentially twisted Mr. Twist.
Nice. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

I don't mind Mr. Twist wearing a suit, just because he's all disfigured and bloody doesn't mean he shouldn't shop at the Men Warehouse....

"You'll like the way you look, I guarantee it!"

Seriously though, Mr. Twist is awesome and is turning out to be one of my favorite villains in the Valiant Universe.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

manga4life wrote:I don't mind Mr. Twist wearing a suit, just because he's all disfigured and bloody doesn't mean he shouldn't shop at the Men Warehouse....

Seriously though, Mr. Twist is awesome and is turning out to be one of my favorite villains in the Valiant Universe.
its a shame hes going has his evil soul ripped out by issue 4 lol

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

cavemold wrote:
manga4life wrote:I don't mind Mr. Twist wearing a suit, just because he's all disfigured and bloody doesn't mean he shouldn't shop at the Men Warehouse....

Say what? He's no longer going to be evil after issue #4? Where did we hear this?
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:

Say what? He's no longer going to be evil after issue #4? Where did we hear this?
Or his heart ... hes going die ahhaha

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

cavemold wrote:
manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:

Again, where did we hear this?

Also, I kind of suspect that he's just a puppet for Darque and that Darque is going to be the thorn in Shadowman's side for years to come.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:
manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:

Also, I kind of suspect that he's just a puppet for Darque and that Darque is going to be the thorn in Shadowman's side for years to come.
Yea im just speculating lol

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

cavemold wrote:
manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:
manga4life wrote:
cavemold wrote:

Yea im just speculating lol
Shadowman appears to have Twist's decapitated head and is surrounded by his pink squigly parts on the Johnson cover for #4.

I can see him getting his tail kicked and when it happens I think we'll really see why Shadowman is so feared and respected on the Deadside. Another interesting facet is what is the true nature of the Loa that Jack is bonding with?

Twist may be some formerly evil human dude who got sucked in by Darque and "Twisted" by him, there is so much great history to be explored in this story and it's only 2 issues in. I have a feeling that this book will build a lot of momentum as it goes along as all the VEI books have.

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

I hope nothing happens to Mr. Twist for a while anyhow, he's a great character and this book has a great cast with amazing villains and a great lead character. I'm kind of reminded of early issues of Spawn, not so much with the story but more so with how great the art is and how dark the book feels, I miss those days lol.

Can't wait for issue #3!
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

For discussions of Mr. Twist, let's not forget that he may be an ancient character.

He showed up in "Club Humbaba" where the cops found him in issue #1.

Try using Google Images for "Humbaba" and you'll see ancient carvings of Mr. Twist's face. :D

Darque is potentially using an ancient "demon" who hasn't been seen in so long, he just wants a nice suit to become more "modern". :P

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

greg wrote:For discussions of Mr. Twist, let's not forget that he may be an ancient character.

Try using Google Images for "Humbaba" and you'll see ancient carvings of Mr. Twist's face. :D

Darque is potentially using an ancient "demon" who hasn't been seen in so long, he just wants a nice suit to become more "modern". :P
I just Google searched Humbaba and you're right, the carvings of the face looks somewhat similar to Mr. Twist. The fact that he may be ancient makes me think that maybe he'll stick around a little longer, I'm sure he will eventually lose his battle with Shadowman but I'm hoping that he doesn't die and that Darque pop's in and saves him or something.

All this Mr. Twist discussion is making me love his character even more, he's got a smart vocabulary and a great look and I think he's someone who could terrorize the Valiant Universe for some time to come.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

manga4life wrote:
greg wrote:For discussions of Mr. Twist, let's not forget that he may be an ancient character.

I just Google searched Humbaba and you're right, the carvings of the face looks somewhat similar to Mr. Twist. The fact that he may be ancient makes me think that maybe he'll stick around a little longer, I'm sure he will eventually lose his battle with Shadowman but I'm hoping that he doesn't die and that Darque pop's in and saves him or something.

All this Mr. Twist discussion is making me love his character even more, he's got a smart vocabulary and a great look and I think he's someone who could terrorize the Valiant Universe for some time to come.
+1!

He may get defeated by Shadowman by the end of the first story arc, but he is too cool to eliminate entirely so soon. That would be very cool indeed if PZ & JJ are using real historical reference to base the character of Mr. Twist on, to me that adds to the fact that he'll be a stable in the new Valiant U. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg

Post by greg »

From the Wiki page on Humbaba:

"Humbaba the Terrible, was a monstrous giant of immemorial age..."

"In various examples, his face is scribed in a single coiling line like that of the coiled entrails of men and beasts, from which omens might be read. This has led to the name 'Guardian of the Fortress of Intestines'."

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:From the Wiki page on Humbaba:

"Humbaba the Terrible, was a monstrous giant of immemorial age..."

"In various examples, his face is scribed in a single coiling line like that of the coiled entrails of men and beasts, from which omens might be read. This has led to the name 'Guardian of the Fortress of Intestines'."
Exactly. He is a big bag of intestines, poured into a really nice suit!

I know I'd want to wear a nice suit if I was one big gobbed mess of intestines... I'd be a little self conscious about that! :lol:

greg

Post by greg »

I point out the Humbaba details because I originally had a big problem with Mr. Twist.
He seemed very "not Valiant", or at least, "not early Valiant"... but the connection to "real-world" historical statues and carvings,
and the connection between Humbaba and Gilgamesh makes a lot of "Valiant sense" to me... considering the connections already established
between Armstrong, Gilad, and Ivar, with regard to the "great cataclysm" (which is both a biblical reference and a Gilgamesh reference).

It seems to me that Ivar may have been "on Deadside" until the (second) Boon was destroyed, so the crossing over (and back) could clearly be connected to Master Darque as well.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:I point out the Humbaba details because I originally had a big problem with Mr. Twist.
He seemed very "not Valiant", or at least, "not early Valiant"... but the connection to "real-world" historical statues and carvings,
and the connection between Humbaba and Gilgamesh makes a lot of "Valiant sense" to me... considering the connections already established
between Armstrong, Gilad, and Ivar, with regard to the "great cataclysm" (which is both a biblical reference and a Gilgamesh reference).

It seems to me that Ivar may have been "on Deadside" until the (second) Boon was destroyed, so the crossing over (and back) could clearly be connected to Master Darque as well.
I'm sure I've said it before, I think you have some great ideas about this stuff. I hope some of these connections / ideas are what the various writers have in mind [of A&A and Shadowman in particular, along with whatever happens with an eventual Eternal Warrior title], and we get to see some of this happen in the VU. The influence of real-world history & mythology on the foundations of the VU is particularly appealing to me, it would really raise my esteem of these books to new heights to see more of it.

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

That's the thing. Today's Valiant shouldn't be compared to 90's Valiant and people shouldn't complain that Valiant Entertainment's universe has different style characters or scenarios than the old VH1/VH2. It IS different, it SHOULD be different, and I think Valiant would be doing itself a favor by embracing it's roots through the hardcovers and separating itself with the monthly floppies. I've actually read elsewhere of old school Valiant fans NOT giving today's Valiant a try because it's different, which is stupid because it should be different and it should have major changes to pull in today's readers. If Valiant did nothing but cater to the old Valiant fans than they wouldn't last very long (in my opinion), they need to introduce characters that differ from VH1 as well as stories and business practices that are modified to work in today's market.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life