Shadowman #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Re: Shadowman #2

Post by KXXX »

Tim wrote: I think it is. Some of the scenes with Ninjak in X-O were pretty harsh and I was pretty vocal about my dislike for some of the scenes in Bloodshot, but this book is looks like it's just going to push it farther than I care to read, based on the two issues I've read.
I'm glad that you mentioned Bloodshot... that was where I was going to declare hypocrisy. That stuck out in my mind as being worse somehow, but I suppose it's a matter of the eyes that see it.

I end with a sincere apology that you won't be able to enjoy the book along with us :(

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

KXXX wrote:that was where I was going to declare hypocrisy.
Glad you didn't have to do that.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

Tim wrote:
KXXX wrote:that was where I was going to declare hypocrisy.
Glad you didn't have to do that.
I hope you didn't take that as me being a :censored:

Tim

Post by Tim »

No worries, man! :thumb:

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

This was awesome issue! The supporting charcters really devolped in this issue. It almost felt like a movie. We saw thetwsit at getting a talior suit! That was really funny. The end left on a huge cliff hanger.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I'm looking forward to finding out what the deal is with little Ju Ju Monkey from the cover of 3, maybe it's Josiah's way of training Jack from the deadside.

I also found it interesting that Darque said he needed to work it from his side while Twist was working things from our side.

What if Josiah is still "alive" and battling Darque on the Deadside?

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

Tim wrote:
KXXX wrote:
Tim wrote:I'm probably going to end up dropping my first Valiant title with this one. There's nothing wrong with the book as far as the way it's written and drawn, but it's just too dark for me. Not into horror or gore and the scene with all the mutilated bodies in the first issue was just not something I want to see and I don't see it toning down. Honestly, it probably shouldn't tone down to be the kind of book it's trying to be, but it's just not a book for me. Zircher's art is great, though.
I'm interested in this line of thought. Is it really that far removed from the violence we've seen of the re-launch to date?
I think it is. Some of the scenes with Ninjak in X-O were pretty harsh and I was pretty vocal about my dislike for some of the scenes in Bloodshot, but this book is looks like it's just going to push it farther than I care to read, based on the two issues I've read.
Tim sounds like you don't like graphic violence in your comics. Is that a correct statement?

Tim

Post by Tim »

carter3175 wrote:
Tim wrote:
KXXX wrote:
Tim wrote:I'm probably going to end up dropping my first Valiant title with this one. There's nothing wrong with the book as far as the way it's written and drawn, but it's just too dark for me. Not into horror or gore and the scene with all the mutilated bodies in the first issue was just not something I want to see and I don't see it toning down. Honestly, it probably shouldn't tone down to be the kind of book it's trying to be, but it's just not a book for me. Zircher's art is great, though.
I'm interested in this line of thought. Is it really that far removed from the violence we've seen of the re-launch to date?
I think it is. Some of the scenes with Ninjak in X-O were pretty harsh and I was pretty vocal about my dislike for some of the scenes in Bloodshot, but this book is looks like it's just going to push it farther than I care to read, based on the two issues I've read.
Tim sounds like you don't like graphic violence in your comics. Is that a correct statement?
Correct. Conflict is necessary for good stories, and a certain level of violence is going to naturally be a part of that especially in the superhero genre, but I think that things like that can be portrayed in a more subtle manner and be just as effective or often even more so.

We have to think about and process so much disturbing information just living our lives. I don't like to import even more into my entertainment.

Kurokashi-san
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Kurokashi-san »

I give this issue a 4.5 out of 5.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Tim wrote:
carter3175 wrote:
Tim wrote:
KXXX wrote:
Correct. Conflict is necessary for good stories, and a certain level of violence is going to naturally be a part of that especially in the superhero genre, but I think that things like that can be portrayed in a more subtle manner and be just as effective or often even more so.

We have to think about and process so much disturbing information just living our lives. I don't like to import even more into my entertainment.
I usually follow that belief it's why I don't read invincible. I've dub this style violence for the sake of violence.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

greg wrote:
Not many belief systems put a rock above a bone when it comes to 'death energy'.
Rock always beats bone. Paper beats rock though. I think bone beats Spock.

As for your refusal to watch B5 - you're missing out on a great show.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed Shadowman #2, particularly as I'd read some of the early posts on this forum about the issue, think that helped when reading the parts about 'necromantic energy'. Great ending, really sets it up for issue #3, nice work!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote: As for your refusal to watch B5 - you're missing out on a great show.
If the guy with the stupid hair is supposed to be a stupid guy... maybe I should give the show a chance.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: As for your refusal to watch B5 - you're missing out on a great show.
If the guy with the stupid hair is supposed to be a stupid guy... maybe I should give the show a chance.
Greg, don't bother.

Here's what typically happens:

B5 Fan: "Dude, you should watch Babylon 5, it's such a great show."

So you start watching the first season, and it kinda sucks.

B5 Fan: "Just hang in there, season 1 is all setup, season 2 is where it starts to get good."

So you watch Season 2, and it really kinda just seems like more of the same.

B5 Fan: "Trust me, it all really starts to pay off in season 3."

So you stick with it and watch Season 3. Still, you think, "meh".

B5 Fan: "It's all leading to season 4, and it's awesome!"

You're in this far, might as well get the big payoff, right? Eh, it was ok. I guess. Well, at least there is just one more season to go.

B5 Fan: "Sorry, man. Season 5 isn't that great."

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Dr. Solar wrote:
greg wrote:
Greg, don't bother.

B5 Fan: "Just hang in there, season 1 is all setup, season 2 is where it starts to get good."

You're in this far, might as well get the big payoff, right? Eh, it was ok. I guess. Well, at least there is just one more season to go.

:lol:

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

So I went back through the book. I'm not sure I am buying Twist. I could not take him as a serious character. He kind of looks ridiculous in a tailor made white suit. I mean if he was in a human form and changed and ripped out of the suit maybe. :? I dunno just saying :? I am not sure what the tone or mood of this book is going to be. To me it has a superhero feel to it. Its not dark and its not a light book, its feels in between. It is way too early to pass judgement on this book. I was hoping for something edgy, dark almost similar to the Acclaim Shadowman, or Miller's Daredevil or even Batman when it comes to the dark corners of his universe. This guy is in New Orleans, the Voodoo capital of the United States and for those of you who have never been there, it has a certain feel and vibe to that place. That place has some serious history man! I'm going to buy this book and continue to read it to see where it goes because I am curious and I will support Valiant. Don't get me wrong ALL of the Valiant books have been quality I just need to look at this book with a new set of eyes.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dr. Solar wrote:
greg wrote:
Greg, don't bother.

This sounds very familiar but I would not describe myself as a B5 fan.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dr. Solar wrote:
greg wrote:
Greg, don't bother.

:funnypost:

But B5 is an awesome series. The 5th season is mostly bad, but the finale and the Neil Gaiman episode make up for the rest of the season.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

Anyone else share my opinion at all on shadowman?

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by KXXX »

carter3175 wrote:Anyone else share my opinion at all on shadowman?
I understand. It's weird so far. Twist is kind of goofy, but I think we'll find that's more intentional than anything. I think it's good that it's (thusfar) in the grey zone you describe. Keeps it interesting. I'd like to see it move towards the dark soon.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I was quite happy with the 2nd issue, but I know what you mean about the white suit on Twist, without knowing his background (eg was he human?) it's difficult to understand why he would value looking smart (I'm not saying white suits are smart by the way ! :P )? But that aside, I liked how the issue moved the story along. Could it be edgier? Yeah probably, but then if it's to fit in with the other titles then perhaps this is why it's not a mature/vertigo type book?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

KXXX wrote:
I understand. It's weird so far. Twist is kind of goofy, but I think we'll find that's more intentional than anything. I think it's good that it's (thusfar) in the grey zone you describe. Keeps it interesting. I'd like to see it move towards the dark soon.
I think it just needs to figure out if its Hellblazer or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not saying it has to be either, just that Darque seems like a legit scary evil badass while twist is kinda Whedon-esque. That part is a bit all over the map in terms of tone for me.

That doesn't mean I don't like the character of Twist, because I do, but Darque has been my favorite part (even though they have been short glimpses), so I hope the tone of those scenes continues.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

I give this 4.5 out of 5.

Mr. Twist in a white suit was just fun.

Like many here, loved the magic discussion.

And the pace continues to be great.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I posted a thread with an interview with FVL and he discusses how the Geomancer's power works. He brought in some quantum theory and basically talked about them tapping into the charged, or "life", particles. The new big bad, the Null, work in opposition to that by tapping into the uncharged "void".

Thought that was interesting given the discussion over "Necromantic" energy and "magic" from this book.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

cavemold

Post by cavemold »

i really like the magic is going to be part of this book and twist is pretty cool villain. :D