CBR: Valiant Looks Back on 2012, Forward to 2013

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
CBR: Valiant Looks Back on 2012, Forward to 2013

Post by jaden_sai »

As 2012 comes to a close and we look back over the last twelve months at the biggest events in comics publishing, one to make numerous lists would have to be the resurgence of Valiant Entertainment after nearly a decade out of the game. The publisher came out swinging with strong sales numbers for each of its four Summer of Valiant launch titles -- "X-O Manowar," "Harbinger," "Bloodshot" and "Archer & Armstrong" -- and each series has continued to pull solid numbers. Valiant launched its fifth title, "Shadowman," in October, with strong sales for the issue leading to a reprint.

In order to gain some perspective on the year of Valiant's rebirth, CBR News spoke with Executive Editor Warren Simons, Publisher Fred Pierce, Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani, Marketing Manager Hunter Gorinson and Sales Manager Atom Freeman to discuss the performance of the initial titles and how the publisher hopes to combat the dreaded "standard attrition," the publisher's first crossover event "Harbinger Wars" and what it has planned for the remainder of its first year as a newly reborn publisher.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!
Re: CBR: Valiant Looks Back on 2012, Forward to 2013

Post by etos45 »

Some interesting stuff in there. Looks like Q&W will be the next title launched since they are using the same "who is that?" method they used with Shadowman. I'm also curious to see what the invitation cover is.

2013 sounds like it's going to be an interesting year. :thumb:

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

:cloud9:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

etos45 wrote:Some interesting stuff in there. Looks like Q&W will be the next title launched since they are using the same "who is that?" method they used with Shadowman. I'm also curious to see what the invitation cover is.

2013 sounds like it's going to be an interesting year. :thumb:
It's good to hear that they are happy with the numbers so far and are not letting that drive their stories. I think/hope if they stick with this approach their numbers will pick-up.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Very happy to hear that they are pleasantly surprised at where the numbers are for sales. As long as they think they're doing fine and the story and characters take precedence over the sales, I think the sales will grow and the company will do fine.

And I bet that is Woody of Quantum & Woody staring at Flamingo in Harby!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Very happy to hear that they are pleasantly surprised at where the numbers are for sales. As long as they think they're doing fine and the story and characters take precedence over the sales, I think the sales will grow and the company will do fine.

Not to toot my own horn, but I called that last week when the preview came out. :D I now demand to be properly cited in APA style from this point forward whenever said appearance of said character is mentioned. :mad:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Very happy to hear that they are pleasantly surprised at where the numbers are for sales. As long as they think they're doing fine and the story and characters take precedence over the sales, I think the sales will grow and the company will do fine.

Not to toot my own horn, but I called that last week when the preview came out. :D I now demand to be properly cited in APA style from this point forward whenever said appearance of said character is mentioned. :mad:
SHOWBOAT :rant: :high-five: :censored:

Chris Campbell
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

Quantum and Woody would be amazing. My head just spins thinking Bout who could step in and write that.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:

I'm sure you're probably the one I heard it from, because I had to go a google quantum and woody to see what they looked like to figure out who you were talking about. I never ready any of the original as I stopped with VH1.
Viva la Valiant!

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

I'm sure you're probably the one I heard it from, because I had to go a google quantum and woody to see what they looked like to figure out who you were talking about. I never ready any of the original as I stopped with VH1.
Haha. Well the look is one thing, but that is also exactly where I might picture woody and the look I would picture on his face. :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Haha. Well the look is one thing, but that is also exactly where I might picture woody and the look I would picture on his face. :lol:
And an appropriate name he would have for being in that location! :D
Viva la Valiant!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

And an appropriate name he would have for being in that location! :D
I wonder what Wacker thinks of Woody?

Groan inducing I know but I couldn't resist :P

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Great interview! I love the fact that they are not worried with sales to the point where these dictate the editorial line. I hope they can stay that way for a loooooooooong time.
I don't think that Q&W will be the next title, though.

In VALIANT we trust.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Carson

Post by Carson »

I'm completely stoked about the 2013 plans so far, Planet Death and Harbinger Wars look to be awesome, and I'm looking forward to Darque on earth.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Great article, sounds like they are really putting a lot of thought into things. Very much looking forward to next year.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Yet another reason to be hopeful for Valiant's prospects in 2013: Just heard that Disney has decided to not renew Dark Horse's contracts for doing the Star Wars comics so that Marvel can start doing them again (I know, big surprise there). Anyway, with Dark Horse losing market share from it's Star Wars comics, that should drop them maybe from 5th place to 6th in the publisher rankings. This might take awhile though as Dark Horse will still get to finish anything they have in the pipeline and Marvel won't be doing the Star Wars comics exclusively until around 2015... just in time for the new episode 7 movie coming out don'tcha know.

Still, I'm happy for anything that helps Valiant move up in the ranks but I'm sure they would have gotten there in time regardless.
Viva la Valiant!