X-O MANOWAR #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Re: X-O MANOWAR #8 Discussion

Post by hawkeyeps »

Confirmed, very cool!

Good job Phoenix8008 :clap:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I think maybe the key to the bonding is the fact that the Vine was oppressed at the time.

We see the Vine pulling down trees and it's possible they percieve it as the plants giving the armor to them to protect the plants and this how plant life became sacred to the Vine. For in protecting the plants their race was also liberated.

It's possible the seed or pod chose the Vine simply because they were the opressed and that is why they have not been able to bond since, because they are now liberated. Aric was probably the first oppressed being to try bonding with the armor since this original incident.

This also ties in with the fruit scene with Alexander and Aric, Alexander thinks the Vine's beliefs are false and maybe he's right.

Basicly the Vine missed the point all together and built an entire culture around these false perceptions.

Perhaps that's why Gafti may eventually get the armor as he is now the oppressed and Aric would be the opressor invading the Vine home world.

That is great example of "with great power comes great responsibility", if this power is abused it can turn on you.
Interesting. I could totally see that as well, although I have a few issues that make me wonder if this was supposed to be the case. The artwork we've seen showing the Vine person getting the X-O armor looked like a stylized retelling of the history. This may even be what their history book is supposed to be showing. It's like a mythical story for them. It wouldn't be unheard of for an imperfection pertaining to someone that is a cultural hero to be 'airbrushed' out so that it is no longer referenced.

Also, why do all the Vine still have the other classes of Manowar armor that still function fine without turning on the 'oppressors'? I understand they may not be self aware like the Manowar, but it seems a little weird that they have all these others but not the main one. Unless they are just purely technological offshoots of the techno/organic unique Manowar armor.
I think the Commando class is a result of trying to understand and replicate the XO, but again they miss the point entirely and all they get is a weapon of war because that is all they were focused on when Shanhara is actually so much more than that.

Aric's current relationship with the armor is much the same, it's a weapon used to crush his enemies nothing more.

I can see Aric having a revelation during Planet Death and his relationship and understanding of what the armor is and who he is will be a major development for the character.

I can see a bit of set up happening when they show Aric in 400 AD as a reckless driven warrior, brute force lacking wisdom.

Another ineresting mystery is what happened to the original Vine XO dude, how did he finally die?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I think maybe the key to the bonding is the fact that the Vine was oppressed at the time.

We see the Vine pulling down trees and it's possible they percieve it as the plants giving the armor to them to protect the plants and this how plant life became sacred to the Vine. For in protecting the plants their race was also liberated.

It's possible the seed or pod chose the Vine simply because they were the opressed and that is why they have not been able to bond since, because they are now liberated. Aric was probably the first oppressed being to try bonding with the armor since this original incident.

This also ties in with the fruit scene with Alexander and Aric, Alexander thinks the Vine's beliefs are false and maybe he's right.

Basicly the Vine missed the point all together and built an entire culture around these false perceptions.

Perhaps that's why Gafti may eventually get the armor as he is now the oppressed and Aric would be the opressor invading the Vine home world.

That is great example of "with great power comes great responsibility", if this power is abused it can turn on you.
Interesting. I could totally see that as well, although I have a few issues that make me wonder if this was supposed to be the case. The artwork we've seen showing the Vine person getting the X-O armor looked like a stylized retelling of the history. This may even be what their history book is supposed to be showing. It's like a mythical story for them. It wouldn't be unheard of for an imperfection pertaining to someone that is a cultural hero to be 'airbrushed' out so that it is no longer referenced.

Also, why do all the Vine still have the other classes of Manowar armor that still function fine without turning on the 'oppressors'? I understand they may not be self aware like the Manowar, but it seems a little weird that they have all these others but not the main one. Unless they are just purely technological offshoots of the techno/organic unique Manowar armor.
I think the Commando class is a result of trying to understand and replicate the XO, but again they miss the point entirely and all they get is a weapon of war because that is all they were focused on when Shanhara is actually so much more than that.

Aric's current relationship with the armor is much the same, it's a weapon used to crush his enemies nothing more.

I can see Aric having a revelation during Planet Death and his relationship and understanding of what the armor is and who he is will be a major development for the character.

I can see a bit of set up happening when they show Aric in 400 AD as a reckless driven warrior, brute force lacking wisdom.

Another ineresting mystery is what happened to the original Vine XO dude, how did he finally die?
Perhaps the original Vine XO is Shanhara? Or at least the consciousness inside it... :hm:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BugsySig wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

Perhaps the original Vine XO is Shanhara? Or at least the consciousness inside it... :hm:
Ohhhhhh... Ahhhhhhh... I had NOT thought of that angle yet! But would that mean that the original armor it used to liberate the Vine got destroyed? Or that whatever the Vine host found was just part of the equation and the Vine host completed it and made the whole of Shanhara? Don't know. But I hadn't thought of the consciousness inside Shanhara yet and that could provide a very good reason for the armor to literally 'choose' it's wearer based on their mental state or personality. I had really been looking at the armor so far as an 'it', not something with a mind of its own despite some of the artwork kind of showing otherwise (like the armor pulling away from unconscious Aric 'reluctantly').
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:

Ohhhhhh... Ahhhhhhh... I had NOT thought of that angle yet! But would that mean that the original armor it used to liberate the Vine got destroyed? Or that whatever the Vine host found was just part of the equation and the Vine host completed it and made the whole of Shanhara? Don't know. But I hadn't thought of the consciousness inside Shanhara yet and that could provide a very good reason for the armor to literally 'choose' it's wearer based on their mental state or personality. I had really been looking at the armor so far as an 'it', not something with a mind of its own despite some of the artwork kind of showing otherwise (like the armor pulling away from unconscious Aric 'reluctantly').
What leads me to think that is a scene from the original XO #0 where the armor is "picked" from a type of tree, and raised/grown by the Spider Aliens. Then at some point a Spider Alien puts it on and is encompassed in energy and disappears. The next we see of it is when Aric pulls the control ring at the end of the issue.

In the brief glimpse we have had of the preview, the armor seems to decend from a tree around a Vine (slave?). Maybe he/she eventually dies and their consciousness becomes part of the armor. Now, like some have said, the armor is seeking someone like him/her: an oppressed slave fighting injustice.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Wow, lots of great ideas & sharp insights in this thread, everyone!

I loved the issue, the disgruntled truce and contrast of personalities/fighting style between Ninjak & Aric was great. I have gone back and reread the whole arc as well, it's such a good read. I am enjoying the development of Arics character with the flashbacks & brief moments of private reflection he has had, they complement the harried state Aric has been in - on the run/on the attack - the entire time he has been back on earth (which has only been a few short days. This was more apparent when re-reading 5-8 all at once).

I was a bit surprised at the built in gun cannons on the MI-6 building... Not sure by the drawing if they were meant to be Vine tech, they looked like old earth tech military cannons. But speaking of the art I am really impressed with Lee Garbett's work on this arc, I sincerely hope he does more XO in the future.
BugsySig wrote:What leads me to think that is a scene from the original XO #0 where the armor is "picked" from a type of tree, and raised/grown by the Spider Aliens. Then at some point a Spider Alien puts it on and is encompassed in energy and disappears. The next we see of it is when Aric pulls the control ring at the end of the issue.

In the brief glimpse we have had of the preview, the armor seems to decend from a tree around a Vine (slave?). Maybe he/she eventually dies and their consciousness becomes part of the armor. Now, like some have said, the armor is seeking someone like him/her: an oppressed slave fighting injustice.
I like this idea - that the bond between a host & The armour is so strong the armour takes on aspects of the host as well as vice-versa.

Remember in VH1 how the second XO suit Aric got from the seed revealed it needed a biological host to absorb in order to develop into the full suit? It had a different personality than Shanhara. This could still be a key secret of the new VEI XO as well...

What if a host stays with the fully 'grown' XO for too long and is absorbed into it? The Vine priests & council members have been repeatedly worried about what will happen, the longer Aric bonds with Shanhara... What if he becomes somehow fused with it?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;