Dysart's political soapbox grows wearisome.

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Dysart's political soapbox grows wearisome.

Post by pixierosa »

That's my feeling on this; he touches on current events, tries to include various types and opinions, but like most writers, will ultimately illustrate his own leanings whether intentional or not. For instance, disdain for the tea party or for extreme liberals will play out in someone's work unless they consciously avoid all mentions of said topic. Even showing situations where the characters are not not blatantly saying "Obama did this, Bush did that" will still set off someone who wants to see a political issue (like Kris mentioning her lowered house value. Come on! The value did drop b/c part of her neighborhood was destroyed. Property values depend on those around them. That's not a liberal/conservative issue!) I'm actually just sick of everyone who doesn't agree with a viewpoint thinking that someone is pushing an agenda mainly because it doesn't agree with theirs. Conspiracy theories are as bad as facebook political rants. :!:

I wouldn't be complaining if Kris was depicted as a teapartier. I wouldn't identify with her as much, but I wouldn't cry "foul" at the political reference b/c I was worried about people reading the story and getting the wrong idea about the tea party.

Let's face it: both sides of the political coin has good and flawed thinking. Both sides have extremists who are so vocal that they put everyone else on the defensive. If the characters suddenly start identifying themselves with beliefs I don't adhere to, I'll put on my big girl panties and deal, not complain about agendas or the writer's opinion. I'm intelligent enough to make my own decisions and am not swayed by fictional stories. (Yeah, Dr. Seuss, I'm still not eating green ham.) I'm also fortunate enough to not give a *SQUEE* what anyone else thinks of my decisions, as long as I know that I've done right by people and made the best choices possible.

This book isn't required reading. It's a personal choice.

Who knows? Maybe Kris and Joe started something. Or Pete/Joe. He definitely was flirtacious with Pete in his visions.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

I don't think Dysart's political leanings matter as much as if he can write viewpoints different than his own in a respectable manner. It's a rare thing but I'm willing to wait and see if he can provide an adequate counter-point to Kris. From what we've seen so far he doesn't seem to shy away from controversy or extremely flawed characters so I have faith (resisting Zephyr pun) in him.

I think Livewire would be the best choice as the philosophical rival of Kris since she seems more pragmatic where Kris seems more idealistic.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

I could see them butting heads frequently, just based on their strong personalities. Also think that they would have respect for each other.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:if Torque is played up a a major conservative he will also be mocked and shown to be an idiot to emphasize how only stupid people follow conservative ways.
That had occurred to me as well. In the name of "fairness" we could be treated to a character who is only there to be mocked in the debate.

And honestly, I'm going to try with all my might not to whine about the politics in next month's issue. I know people don't like it and I don't like being an unpopular, surly curmudgeon -- no matter how naturally it comes to me.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:It was like looking at a super redneck version of Sabretooth.
I always thought Sabretooth was pretty redneck when he was lucid. It was one of the things that I really liked about him.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Chiclo wrote:
I always thought Sabretooth was pretty redneck when he was lucid. It was one of the things that I really liked about him.
Oh, he was. Torque took it to another level. Bet he even had a comb in his back pocket :lol:

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

pixierosa wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Oh, he was. Torque took it to another level. Bet he even had a comb in his back pocket :lol:
I believe he was also mildy retarded, why wouldn't he get all the girls? :?

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I think Jmatt is entitled to his perspective so people should get off his back. I'm not particularly interested in US politics but you can tell from comments made on twitter that most comic book writers/artists are left wing.

That said, I do recall a thought bubble on the cover of Harbinger #1 saying "Obama is destroying the country". Now, I don't think Dysart was responsible for writing those thought bubbles but it does kind of even up the Republican/Democrat thing in the book...I think? :?

Either way Dysart is writing a great book right now so let's hope it continues!

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I keep thinking about Moore's perspective on writing the Watchmen. Writing a character who is sympathetic and believable, especially when that character clashes directly with individual perspective is terrifyingly difficult.

And, when I first read the book as a kid, I empathized with Rohrschach. At least his very clear perspective on right and wrong. Of course, he's psychotic, but...

Now, I lean everywhere else.

I have a similar feeling with this book. Is she probably a liberal? Yes. Is she believable? Yes.

Is the book enjoyable? Completely.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I think Jmatt is entitled to his perspective so people should get off his back. I'm not particularly interested in US politics but you can tell from comments made on twitter that most comic book writers/artists are left wing.

That said, I do recall a thought bubble on the cover of Harbinger #1 saying "Obama is destroying the country". Now, I don't think Dysart was responsible for writing those thought bubbles but it does kind of even up the Republican/Democrat thing in the book...I think? :?

Just to clarify - I wasn't "on his case" about his political opinions. Of those, I care little and believe everyone is entitled to their own choices. This is a great book. One of my favorites. I don't want to hear this same argument every time a new issue comes out. It doesn't need to be constantly criticized as being overly political with an agenda - and if not an agenda, then of not being responsible to those who may read it and be "swayed" somehow. That's paranoia. This is an entertainment piece. I don't care who says it, JMatt or anyone else - nothing in my own rebuttal is meant to be taken as a personal attack - there is no hidden political agenda behind the publishing of this book. Politics may seep into the storyline, but that's not surprising. Current events and such. Kevin said it very nicely, how difficult it can be to write a character with beliefs contrary to your own. Difficult sometimes to stomach, difficult to make them sympathetic and believable.

Anyhoo - I greatly enjoy Dysart's writing and the art on the book. You just don't find storylines like this anywhere else other than Valiant.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

pixierosa wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I think Jmatt is entitled to his perspective so people should get off his back. I'm not particularly interested in US politics but you can tell from comments made on twitter that most comic book writers/artists are left wing.

Just to clarify - I wasn't "on his case" about his political opinions. Of those, I care little and believe everyone is entitled to their own choices. This is a great book. One of my favorites. I don't want to hear this same argument every time a new issue comes out. It doesn't need to be constantly criticized as being overly political with an agenda - and if not an agenda, then of not being responsible to those who may read it and be "swayed" somehow. That's paranoia. This is an entertainment piece. I don't care who says it, JMatt or anyone else - nothing in my own rebuttal is meant to be taken as a personal attack - there is no hidden political agenda behind the publishing of this book. Politics may seep into the storyline, but that's not surprising. Current events and such. Kevin said it very nicely, how difficult it can be to write a character with beliefs contrary to your own. Difficult sometimes to stomach, difficult to make them sympathetic and believable.

Anyhoo - I greatly enjoy Dysart's writing and the art on the book. You just don't find storylines like this anywhere else other than Valiant.
Hi Pixierosa, I wasn't meaning you (or anyone else specifically) with my request to ease off Jmatt, it was purely coincidental that your rebuttal was recent, I'd just been skim reading the previous 3 pages. Apologies for that confusion.

I totally agree with focusing on and enjoying the book, Valiant readers are very lucky to have such a great writer on one of our books! :)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Actually, after you've been at the online political wars for a long time, it's easier to write a character that runs contrary to one's own perspective because you've heard all the arguments and you can anticipate where the discussion will go next.

In fact, I did it myself when I started this thread, I expected one of the first things that someone would point out was that Dysart had Harada create Medbots for war-torn areas and purchase oil and donate it to poor nations, as a way to portray the generosity of a rich industrialist. I was kinda surprised nobody did.