Bloodshot #7

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Re: Bloodshot #7

Post by Carson »

Keith wrote:Initial thoughts...

Honestly, a bit of a let down. Thinking this may be more to my own imagination hyping this one up after reading the previews on how essential an issue this would be, and expecting something really earthshaking (i.e. Bloodshot finding out he is Solar and Erica's love-child). In light of what we now know about Harbinger Wars, I see how this is a big issue and will be a "woah" to those not up on upcoming events, but after reading it I was just left feeling "tell me something I didn't know." :(

On top of that, the art has taken a huge step back, IMO. Not familiar with the Matthew Clark/Stefano Gaudino combo before, but the style was to "draft"-ish to me.

Be curious to know what you all think... I imagine some might call be whackadoo for this review. Don't get me wrong, I love Bloodshot and am curious to see where this is all going, just felt let down by this issue.
Art: The art was a definitely a downgrade. I miss Lozzi's bloodshot.

Story: We did seem to cut away to a flashback for a whole issue, right when I expected some big current events in the PRS basement. I felt like it should've ended with "and now back to our regularly scheduled Bloodshot."

That said, I really enjoyed the back story we got this issue. It set up how Kuritech went rogue nicely. I wish he would've had a moral issue with kidnapping kids and keeping them, not just because they are psiots. Notice how he was ok with kidnapping and holding a dozen or so kids over the course of a year and only decided to go rogue once he realized they were psiots? Why is that?
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

I've read some complaints about the art on a couple different forums but all in all I must say that I really enjoyed it. I like the way Bloodshot himself looked and the overall presentation was done really well, I seriously wouldn't mind if this was how the art in the book was moving forward even though I enjoy the regular artist as well. I wonder if they'll use this guy as a regular on anything upcoming in the future?
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

manga4life wrote:I've read some complaints about the art on a couple different forums but all in all I must say that I really enjoyed it. I like the way Bloodshot himself looked and the overall presentation was done really well, I seriously wouldn't mind if this was how the art in the book was moving forward even though I enjoy the regular artist as well. I wonder if they'll use this guy as a regular on anything upcoming in the future?
I believe Matthew Clark will be illustrating one of the Harby issues coming up.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I enjoyed this issue. It really gave a needed backdrop on how Bloodshot operated.
I re-read Bloodshot #1 after this and it made more sense. The kidnapped Harbinger kids are going to play
a big role in Harbinger Wars. I think it was important to see what they have exprerienced before
their confrontation with Bloodshot in issue #8. As the arc progresses there will be some ahh-ha moments.
I also enjoyed the art by Matthew Clark and Stefano Gaudiano.
I may be bias though as I got a nice look on how the process works from Stefano:

Larger scan here:
http://sonicdan.com/Valiantart/2012/BSH7_008E.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More about that later... :thumb:
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Awesome Dan! Glad you posted this. I really enjoy seeing the whole process. This may answer some questions people have about blue lines and inking in the digital age.

Very cool of Stefano, too! Interesting stuff.

Also agree with your assessment of Bloodshot and why they chose now for the flashback history. :thumb:
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

I've finally figured out one of my favorite things about this issue that separates it from others of its kind. I greatly appreciate the effort put into making his amnesia make sense. The whole "let's erase his mind and implant new memories often to keep him ready to kill", the intentionality of it, is a refreshing change to the typical trauma = amnesia formula we've seen with Wolverine, V1 Bloodshot, etc. It's new (at least to me) and I think it's handled really well.

Carson

Post by Carson »

Jaknife wrote:I've finally figured out one of my favorite things about this issue that separates it from others of its kind. I greatly appreciate the effort put into making his amnesia make sense. The whole "let's erase his mind and implant new memories often to keep him ready to kill", the intentionality of it, is a refreshing change to the typical trauma = amnesia formula we've seen with Wolverine, V1 Bloodshot, etc. It's new (at least to me) and I think it's handled really well.
Great point. I do enjoy that they are handling it a little differently than we've seen in the past. He was literally brainwashed after EVERY mission, and basically deactivated between missions. Nice new way to handle that "brainwashed weapon" theme.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

That, and the reasoning behind it. Every soldier needing a reason to keep doing what no one should have to do/experience. Whenever I read histories or retellings of life in the trenches, I can't even wrap my head around the level of horror, fear and stress, trying to function with that weight and maintain some humanity.

In Bloodshot, they give him a purpose, a drive (saving his daughter/other families/justice), and no memories of past failures, horrors or successes.

Reminds me of Memento. A man who's own memories and lack thereof are used to manipulate him. Awesome movie if you haven't seen it.

Carson

Post by Carson »

pixierosa wrote:That, and the reasoning behind it. Every soldier needing a reason to keep doing what no one should have to do/experience. Whenever I read histories or retellings of life in the trenches, I can't even wrap my head around the level of horror, fear and stress, trying to function with that weight and maintain some humanity.

In Bloodshot, they give him a purpose, a drive (saving his daughter/other families/justice), and no memories of past failures, horrors or successes.

Reminds me of Memento. A man who's own memories and lack thereof are used to manipulate him. Awesome movie if you haven't seen it.
GREAT film. Nolan can do no wrong. From the Prestige to Inception to the recent Batman trilogy, the guy is a genius.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Paradigm38 wrote:I thought this one was the best so far. Solid glimpse of some valuable background information... and some "future" Harbingers? :clap:
I agree! Best issue of the series so far. Because Bloodshot has a secretive history it's inevitable we'll have these flashback issues from time to time and I think this makes the whole Bloodshot story the more interesting for it! I really felt for the character when it shows how PRS wipe his mind and 're-set' him for the next mission along with a massive dose of emotional blackmail. Controlling dead soldiers to shoot at Bloodshot was a nice touch too!

I enjoyed the art from Matthew Clarke, the body proportions he draws are realistic and not over blown.

The only downer for me is the return of Chainsaw next issue! facepalm

4 out of 5 Excellent read!

Carson

Post by Carson »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:The only downer for me is the return of Chainsaw next issue! facepalm
Couldn't agree more. Enjoyed this issue a lot! When I saw next issues preview I kinda felt dread that those crazy bad guys are coming back next issue. Didn't he freeze and shatter one of em?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Carson wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:The only downer for me is the return of Chainsaw next issue! facepalm
Couldn't agree more. Enjoyed this issue a lot! When I saw next issues preview I kinda felt dread that those crazy bad guys are coming back next issue. Didn't he freeze and shatter one of em?
Well, we all know covers are not exactly cannon...or even remotely related to the content of a book most times. What we do know is two members of Chainsaw were still alive and moving in on Bloodshot as he entered the Nursery.

I doubt they are long for this world, but I don't mind them. I think they are there to provide a glimpse into how far PRS is/has gone to create living weapons.

I've heard some complain their look is unrealistic--not world outside your window. So a chalk-white guy with a giant red circle on his chest who heals from massive wounds in minutes is? Archer & Armstrong faught Vampire Ninja Nuns and telepathic Nazi monks...Lets not forget we're reading comics here.

Carson

Post by Carson »

BugsySig wrote:
Carson wrote:
Well, we all know covers are not exactly cannon...or even remotely related to the content of a book most times. What we do know is two members of Chainsaw were still alive and moving in on Bloodshot as he entered the Nursery.

I doubt they are long for this world, but I don't mind them. I think they are there to provide a glimpse into how far PRS is/has gone to create living weapons.

I've heard some complain their look is unrealistic--not world outside your window. So a chalk-white guy with a giant red circle on his chest who heals from massive wounds in minutes is? Archer & Armstrong faught Vampire Ninja Nuns and telepathic Nazi monks...Lets not forget we're reading comics here.
New VALIANT comics at that :high-five:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Carson wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Carson wrote:

New VALIANT comics at that :high-five:
:high-five:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Carson wrote:
Jaknife wrote:I've finally figured out one of my favorite things about this issue that separates it from others of its kind. I greatly appreciate the effort put into making his amnesia make sense. The whole "let's erase his mind and implant new memories often to keep him ready to kill", the intentionality of it, is a refreshing change to the typical trauma = amnesia formula we've seen with Wolverine, V1 Bloodshot, etc. It's new (at least to me) and I think it's handled really well.
Great point. I do enjoy that they are handling it a little differently than we've seen in the past. He was literally brainwashed after EVERY mission, and basically deactivated between missions. Nice new way to handle that "brainwashed weapon" theme.
I like this concept as well, but it's not original. It the exact concept used in Dollhouse.
Carson wrote:
pixierosa wrote:That, and the reasoning behind it. Every soldier needing a reason to keep doing what no one should have to do/experience. Whenever I read histories or retellings of life in the trenches, I can't even wrap my head around the level of horror, fear and stress, trying to function with that weight and maintain some humanity.

GREAT film. Nolan can do no wrong. From the Prestige to Inception to the recent Batman trilogy, the guy is a genius.
Agree totally. Nolan is by far my favorite filmmaker. The Prestige is my favorite film.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote:
Carson wrote:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Bugsy. Yes, as comic book readers we do have to suspend disbelief to a large extent, but there still needs to be a level of logic or explanation otherwise the story becomes less enjoyable (even if that explanation is 'magic'!).

I've certainly got issues with Bloodshot as a character and am still hopeful of answers as to why he has certain abilities eg he can change the appearance of his face, camouflage his skin, he has ablity to 'grow' new limbs when one is severed, and if suitable explanations aren't forthcoming then it will definitely influence how I perceive the series. Surely as readers, we don't except any nonsense given to us by creators and just accept it because it all make believe anyway? :?

Besides, my issue with Chainsaw is more around the visual design, I think the concept is excellent but I'm disappointed with the look of the group. As has been said before, it's very Image 1990's, over sized guns etc aka very poor.

Like you guys I'm very glad to have Valiant back, I just want the books to maintain a high level of quality, which includes character design. Issue #7 was very strong, I just want #8 to good too.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Carson wrote:

Gotta disagree with you on this one Bugsy. Yes, as comic book readers we do have to suspend disbelief to a large extent, but there still needs to be a level of logic or explanation otherwise the story becomes less enjoyable (even if that explanation is 'magic'!).

I've certainly got issues with Bloodshot as a character and am still hopeful of answers as to why he has certain abilities eg he can change the appearance of his face, camouflage his skin, he has ablity to 'grow' new limbs when one is severed, and if suitable explanations aren't forthcoming then it will definitely influence how I perceive the series. Surely as readers, we don't except any nonsense given to us by creators and just accept it because it all make believe anyway? :?

Besides, my issue with Chainsaw is more around the visual design, I think the concept is excellent but I'm disappointed with the look of the group. As has been said before, it's very Image 1990's, over sized guns etc aka very poor.

Like you guys I'm very glad to have Valiant back, I just want the books to maintain a high level of quality, which includes character design. Issue #7 was very strong, I just want #8 to good too.
The inside cover in the first issue covers many of those abilities.

If the design is the issue, I get it because hey are changed very little from their short lived 90s incarnation.

I also don't think Garcia did them much justice. I like his art very much overall, but their depictions were a bit lacking.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

I can understand why some "Filipinos" wil say this. However, this event was in the a jungle provice of the Philipines.

It would be correct to say "Translated from the Fillipino" than to say "Translated from Tagalog" because different languages/dialects are spoken in the Philippines.

According to Wikipedia:

"Philippine languages are often referred to by Filipinos as dialects, partly as a relic of the inaccurate vocabulary used in literature during the American period (1898–1946).[7] While there are indeed many hundreds of dialects in the Philippines, they represent variations of no fewer than 120 distinct languages, and many of these languages maintain greater differences than those between established European languages like French and Spanish."

The Beyonder wrote:A few Filipino friends had some eyerolls at the "Translated from the Filipino" dialogue box.

http://instagram.com/p/UjZ7Ufm8pe/

Most told me it probably should have been "Tagalog". At worst, it was a bit like saying "Translated from the English".

Otherwise, I enjoyed this issue a lot, and really liked the art.

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

I just re-read this issue again and I've got to say, the scene of "Ray" calling his "wife" who just happens to be an agent basically reading from a script is just so sad to me. I feel bad that Bloodshot really was used and abused by the agency and I'm really hoping that eventually he gets some piece of mind, what a terrible ordeal (but makes for a great story).
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

Maybe I’m off-base, but if you follow the idea of the singularity - Bloodshot as a character is not so far off base from what a lot of smart people believe will happen in about 30 years. The idea that nanites, little computers, coursing through someones’ blood stream repairing tissue and even changing his appearance doesn’t seem that far-fetched. The idea of downloading and storing memories in a computer database and therefore living forever through a computer is standard science fiction lore. (And its an idea that's a lot more cooler and interesting than just explaining healing powers by saying yr a mutant)

You can read more about the singularity on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Things like camouflage that changes based on your surroundings is something the is already being developed and is done through the bending of light..
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/invisibility-cloak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fact that many of these things have come to fruition in a comic book universe shouldn't need much further explanation. This is a world that has immortals, Psiots, Alien’s and Alien Technology, Magic and Necromatic energy .. the fact that they might be a little ahead of us in terms of the “singularity” and advanced computer technology is by far not the craziest thing to be found in this universe.

Because of these interesting idea's - I’m loving this comic right now, it’s the one series that is head and shoulders better than the original, IMO. I think the character and the concept and the story direction is far superior. (Although I do love the blood of heroes and the connection to Rai in the original).

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by pixierosa »

bygranddesign wrote:(Although I do love the blood of heroes and the connection to Rai in the original).
I think we're going to be seeing a tie-in with the blood of heroes in this Valiant universe. If you look at the Harbinger issues with the Bleeding Monk in his Harada "sanctuary", you'll see that there are large canisters of what looks to be blood. Very familiar to the canister of heroes blood used for the new Rai...

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

drmirage wrote:I can understand why some "Filipinos" wil say this. However, this event was in the a jungle provice of the Philipines.

It would be correct to say "Translated from the Fillipino" than to say "Translated from Tagalog" because different languages/dialects are spoken in the Philippines.

According to Wikipedia:

"Philippine languages are often referred to by Filipinos as dialects, partly as a relic of the inaccurate vocabulary used in literature during the American period (1898–1946).[7] While there are indeed many hundreds of dialects in the Philippines, they represent variations of no fewer than 120 distinct languages, and many of these languages maintain greater differences than those between established European languages like French and Spanish."

The Beyonder wrote:A few Filipino friends had some eyerolls at the "Translated from the Filipino" dialogue box.

http://instagram.com/p/UjZ7Ufm8pe/

Most told me it probably should have been "Tagalog". At worst, it was a bit like saying "Translated from the English".

Otherwise, I enjoyed this issue a lot, and really liked the art.
It should not have been "Tagalog" because the kidnapper is from Basilan which is a province from the South. Most likely it should have been Tausug.

I was actually confused by the timeline. The flashback shows that Bloodshot was in the Clark Airbase which is part of the old US military bases in the Philippines. Those bases were closed around 1991. The Abu Sayyaf group, the group who mostly conduct the kidnappings and hostage taking in the Basilan area, did not launch its initial public attack until 1995 which is well after American forces have left the Philippines officially.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

manga4life wrote:I just re-read this issue again and I've got to say, the scene of "Ray" calling his "wife" who just happens to be an agent basically reading from a script is just so sad to me. I feel bad that Bloodshot really was used and abused by the agency and I'm really hoping that eventually he gets some piece of mind, what a terrible ordeal (but makes for a great story).
I thought that that was a powerful scene as well.

I really felt for Bloodshot this issue. Seeing how PRS manipulated him and used him really made me dislike PRS and root for him to get some justice.

And I loved this issue, including the guest art.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I thought it was a great issue with plenty of backfill. Thought the art was fine, too.