So i heard a rumor..

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KnightOfKhonshu
Working on the first full appearance of me
So i heard a rumor..

Post by KnightOfKhonshu »

I work at a comic shop, and I've heard today from my boss that a Valiant rep mentioned something about a Turok book being put out this year. Now, I'm not sure if they meant classic stuff or new material, but the fact of the matter is, Valiant didn't own the rights to the character (along with other gold key published works). So I wonder what's up..just thought I'd mention it.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: So i heard a rumor..

Post by kevinbastos »

I could go for THAT!

Finally, my hoard of Dark Key is gonna PAY OFF! :high-five:

Well, one step at a time, right?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

KnightOfKhonshu

Well let's hope it turns out true lol. I'd love some Solar.

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

Didn't Dinesh say that he'd talk about the Gold Key characters away from audio equipment at the NYCC panel? Did anyone ask him about and if so, did he swear them to secrecy about it? :hm:

KnightOfKhonshu

Who knows, it probably won't be until the winter, most likely. But I have my fingers crossed.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Funny...Turok would be the Gold Key character I would least like to see return, yet he seems to be the popular favorite around the net.

I also figured he would be the least likely to buy the rights to since he actually has some name recognition from the 90s books and games. On the other hand, his ownership might be the least convoluted of the three, so you never know.

I don't think VEI, after the issues a few years back before Dark Horse picked up the rights, would license the characters. I would only expect it if they purchased them outright.

Maybe it is just a deal for collecting the VH1 Turok, and that is one of the previews in the Valiant Masters FCBD book?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

My expectation is that if one comes, they all come.

I can't imagine a scenario that would play out that goes:

"Well, here's the thing. Magnus is the one character we REALLY want. Give us him, and let us go on our way."

"SWEET! You know those characters we bought out, and over the course of two and a half years produced... like twelve TOTAL comics? Someone just offered us a package deal for 'em... But we said no. We thought we'd continue to do nothing with them..."
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

KnightOfKhonshu

I'm thinking the same. But, like the thread name implies, it's a rumor, and an unconfirmed one at that. I hope someone has some news for us soon.
kevinbastos wrote:My expectation is that if one comes, they all come.

"Well, here's the thing. Magnus is the one character we REALLY want. Give us him, and let us go on our way."

"SWEET! You know those characters we bought out, and over the course of two and a half years produced... like twelve TOTAL comics? Someone just offered us a package deal for 'em... But we said no. We thought we'd continue to do nothing with them..."

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

kevinbastos wrote:My expectation is that if one comes, they all come.

Unfortunately it's more complicated than that. I know we discussed specifics after the DreamWorks/Classic Media deal and, though they are fuzzy now, I'm pretty sure we managed to figure out that Turok is no longer owned by the same people who own Solar and Magnus.

If you check the Classic Media website, Turok is TM & Copyright Classic Media (now DreamWorks), while Solar and Magnus are TM & Copyright Random House used under license to Classic Media. When Random House and Classic Split several years ago, it seems only Turok's IP was 100% maintained by Classic Media.

tetrisdork
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tetrisdork »

I just hope it is the clearance to get the classic VH1 and VH2 materials published in print and in digital (Comixology). I was surprised to see Turok when Rai #0 came out via Comixology*. So, it might be to clear additional elements and how much money Dreamworks Classics and Random House would want out of re-releases of archival content. Also, Random House is currently in the process of merging with Penguin Group, and I have vibes of how the Geneon/Universal merger made getting Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon a long hassle for Funimation.

*yes, I now realize that Solar and Magnus were also in Rai #0. Turok is the character that sticks out for me.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

tetrisdork wrote:I just hope it is the clearance to get the classic VH1 and VH2 materials published in print and in digital (Comixology). I was surprised to see Turok when Rai #0 came out via Comixology*. So, it might be to clear additional elements and how much money Dreamworks Classics and Random House would want out of re-releases of archival content. Also, Random House is currently in the process of merging with Penguin Group, and I have vibes of how the Geneon/Universal merger made getting Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon a long hassle for Funimation.

*yes, I now realize that Solar and Magnus were also in Rai #0. Turok is the character that sticks out for me.
All three have already been in multiple reprinted issues in the trades and digital. I think they just can't reprint their individual titles, or advertise their appearance in others. But if Turok is on the cover of A&A #3, then no big deal to reprint that as long as the solicit doesn't mention him.

KnightOfKhonshu

BugsySig wrote:
tetrisdork wrote:I just hope it is the clearance to get the classic VH1 and VH2 materials published in print and in digital (Comixology). I was surprised to see Turok when Rai #0 came out via Comixology*. So, it might be to clear additional elements and how much money Dreamworks Classics and Random House would want out of re-releases of archival content. Also, Random House is currently in the process of merging with Penguin Group, and I have vibes of how the Geneon/Universal merger made getting Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon a long hassle for Funimation.

All three have already been in multiple reprinted issues in the trades and digital. I think they just can't reprint their individual titles, or advertise their appearance in others. But if Turok is on the cover of A&A #3, then no big deal to reprint that as long as the solicit doesn't mention him.
yeah, i understood that, and i forgot about the whole Magnus and Solar thing. I guess it's just my wishful thinking telling my brain to forget useful info.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just can't see the GK3 in the Val universe. I guess anything is possible, but I just can't see it.

And I don't think they need it. At all.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Hmmm maybe

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i've said before, i'd love to see Valiant put out hardcover collections of Solor, Magnus, & Turok.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Elveen wrote:I just can't see the GK3 in the Val universe. I guess anything is possible, but I just can't see it.

The direction VEI has taken so far clearly shows they don't need the GK3 characters...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

betterthanezra wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just can't see the GK3 in the Val universe. I guess anything is possible, but I just can't see it.

The direction VEI has taken so far clearly shows they don't need the GK3 characters...

-Brian
+1
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

myron wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
+1
+1
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

I don't Think they NEED the GK characters, but I wouldn't turn my head at them, either.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

I agree with those saying adding GK characters at this point would feel like square peg in a round hole.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

betterthanezra wrote:

-Brian
I am on board with this as well. Solar, Turok and Magnus are some of my favorite characters ever. They have been an emphasis of my
collection for years. The Dark Horse Gold Key launch was handled poorly. Valiant, on the other hand, has done a phenomenal job.
There is added hassle of a licensed property that I don't think they need. The Valiant universe and the new books clearly stand up well, on there own, at this point.
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I am sure VEI COULD pull off adding the GK3 to the current Valiant universe. I'm also sure that they aren't NEEDED. About the most useful thing I can think of in having the GK3 back would be for another year 4000 title (Magnus) to help give a Rai title a more solid place to be. I would also love to have more Psi-lords, but that's me and they are already owned by VEI and therefore not a worry at this point.

Solar could be interesting, but again, not needed. Turok, I could totally do without. The best thing about him was his blood-brother relationship with Aric. Both 'men out of time' and all.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

carter3175

Post by carter3175 »

I could do without Turok....Solar, I want bad!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Erica Pierce :hope:

vaevictis
Favorite character: Phil Seleski

Post by vaevictis »

Solar I think would fit in nicely and gives that Cosmic level character (eventually). Magnus, in my opinion cannot stand alone and is best as a piece in a bigger world. Turok is my least favorite of the three and is best as a supporting character. My point being that I think part of why DArk Horse didn't have much success with them is because each book was an independent character in an independent world. You have to build each one from the ground up (which really wasn't done).
Vae Victis - Woe to the Conquered!