Bloodshot #9 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Bloodshot #9 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

The line "We built Bloodshot from the ground up" made me wonder if he's human at all.

Wish Gamma's demise was more gruesome. Woulda liked to see her peel her skull into pieces trying to reach that itch. She had the physical strength for it judging by the way she b!tch-slapped Bloodshot around. Where's that old "Nobody can move that fast!" speed when Bloodshot needs it? :lol:

Is Clem an Alpha (or is it Omega, I can never remember now) Harbinger that can activate psiots? Who else could have activated the kids?

And I guess it needs to be stated for the record that Bloodshot's been unwittingly working for Harada since issue #1. Obvious now but...

I've said it before but the art's not my cuppa tea. Too blobby. It works well for Bloodshot since he's a shirtless knot of muscle but almost everywhere else it seems too undefined. Maybe it's the heavy inking. I dunno. And the color palette seems to include brown and gray and not much else.

But a good issue with some poignancy.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

jmatt wrote:The line "We built Bloodshot from the ground up" made me wonder if he's human at all.
I have wondered if he is the grey goo they have alluded to previously or if he is made of the same stuff as the grey goo.

Maybe the grey goo was an attempt to copy what became Bloodshot?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Chiclo wrote:
jmatt wrote:The line "We built Bloodshot from the ground up" made me wonder if he's human at all.
I have wondered if he is the grey goo they have alluded to previously or if he is made of the same stuff as the grey goo.

Maybe the grey goo was an attempt to copy what became Bloodshot?
I think Gray Goo is just unchecked nanite outbreaks consuming everything in their path into a giant blob of just more nanites.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Great issue and conclusion to the second arc, sets up HW very well. I almost need to catch my breath and look at all the pieces in place.

Kuertich- Former handler of Bloodshot nudged by Harada away from PRS?

Pulse- Unfourtunatley dead now :cry: PRS has had there hooks in her for a long time as she was the one who shut down Bloodshot while he was shutting down the Grey Goo incedent at Atalee Nevada. What a tragic life though being forced to do these things at a young age then being put on cold storage in straight jackets.

Bloodshot- The tradegy of Pulse definetely provides a motivation for Bloodshot but the patern for him is now (and has always been) a tradegy or crisis motivating his actions. Bloodshot is being manipulated by Kuertich and Kuetich is working for Harada.
Bloodshot #0 would be an amazing book, the origin of Bloodshot.

Kara- I like her as the new "Hotshot" for HARD Corps, her action of sparing Chainsaw Command may lead to more in the future. What if the raisin dude ends up working for HARD Corps?

That's a lot of stuff going on with all these core characters, this issue really delivered the goods and set the stage for what is to come.

And yeah I hope Bloodshoot eats Gamma (eww) :oops:

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

hawkeyeps wrote:What if the raisin dude ends up working for HARD Corps?
He does remind me of the Softcore character from the original HARD Corps.

Raisin dude. :lol:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So I'm in denial about Pulse, so I've got a few ideas on how to have her survive as a character:

1. Pulse is dead for good - I won't accept this.

2. Pulse is dead, but she becomes part of HardCorps and is revived using their implants. She becomes one of the psiots who can transmit powers to the team members.

3. Pulse isn't actually dead and is whisked away by Harada or PRS for nefarious purposes.

4. (my favorite theory) Pulse is dead, but becomes a face of the nanites (like the Kid) for Bloodshot, so that the character can still live on in the book.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

I'm not entirely convinced she is dead. We thought Gafti was dead a few months ago and look how that turned out.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Blood of Heroes wrote:I'm not entirely convinced she is dead. We thought Gafti was dead a few months ago and look how that turned out.
:hope:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Now THAT'S how you write a comic book! One of the best issues of VEI so far in my opinion. This moves Bloodshot up the ranks in my eyes. A&A this month was awesome too, but I kind of felt like this book was INCREDIBLE.
Pulse, we'll see you soon, I'm sure.
Gamma, good riddance.
Interesting that some of the kids took note that Bloodshot wasn't how he "once was", or whatever the exact quote was. Is there a mindreader in the bunch? Or could they really tell that he's not the boogeyman they thought he was? Or just the lesser of two evils between him and Gamma?

Awesome issue. Very pumped for Harbinger Wars, and more Clayton Henry work! Although I've liked just about everything Manuel Garcia has done!
:headbang:
Oh, and I guess this smiley is one way to find out if Pulse is really dead or not... ---> :poke:

Mandrakk
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Mandrakk »

It was a nice issue,I loved it but I was very sad to see Pulse go I really liked her and truly hope that the New kids are worth here death,It was the first Comicbook death that had an impact on me for a long time(Joe in Harbinger does not count,having read the original series I Knew he would buy it eventually).
Regarding Gamma's power:When Peter and Kid Harada got upset,their power went of and killed the source of their problem or in the latter's case protected them from the danger(a freaking nuke,no less)so I would think that the Psiots can somehow use their emotions as power,so Gamma using other peoples' emotions to empower herself does not seem out of place to me.
The Kuretitch reveal was not surprising at all it was rather obvious(some would say too much)but was nice nonetheless,and from that comes my only real problem with the issue:the last line:"But Now it's time for Toyo Harada to take over"which sounds way to Liefeldian for my tastes.
Oh and on a side note,I think the kids from #7 were indeed taken away from Harada.

Helios
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by Helios »

I'm not sure why, but all these new Harbinger kids are so interesting to me I actually want to see a Troublemakers series with a bunch of them in it. Even throw Bloodshot into the mix occasionally, y'know like wolverine & the X-Men except cooler.
Last edited by Helios on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Welome to the board Mandrakk :)

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Helios wrote:I'm not sure why, but all these new Harbinger kids are so interesting to me I actually want to see a Troublemakers series with a bunch of them in it. Even throw Bloodshot into the mix occasionally, y'know like wolverine & the X-Men except cooler.
Word...I have said a few times that Generation Zero, from those Clayton Crain preview pages of Harbimger Wars, look a lot like the Troublemakers.

I also like that they are tying some of the children's powers into other characters (as stated in an interview). So the kid who travels through another plane of reality could be traveling through Deadside, or the plane of existence Ivar can access. Or the little girl, who sounded like she might be Cajun, West Indian or West African, could tie into Shadowman somehow.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

hawkeyeps wrote:Welome to the board Mandrakk :)
Thank you very much 8-)
BugsySig wrote:I also like that they are tying some of the children's powers into other characters (as stated in an interview). So the kid who travels through another plane of reality could be traveling through Deadside, or the plane of existence Ivar can access. Or the little girl, who sounded like she might be Cajun, West Indian or West African, could tie into Shadowman somehow.
Oh ? which interview are you refering to ? I must have missed that one.As for the kid traveling through deadside I do not think so,the place seems too dangerous for that I would think it is either a whole new plane or the Ivar one like you said.To me the guy who might be able to somehow touch deadside is Clem since he can "put his fingers in the minds of the dead".

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Mandrakk wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:Welome to the board Mandrakk :)
Thank you very much 8-)
BugsySig wrote:I also like that they are tying some of the children's powers into other characters (as stated in an interview). So the kid who travels through another plane of reality could be traveling through Deadside, or the plane of existence Ivar can access. Or the little girl, who sounded like she might be Cajun, West Indian or West African, could tie into Shadowman somehow.
Oh ? which interview are you refering to ? I must have missed that one.As for the kid traveling through deadside I do not think so,the place seems too dangerous for that I would think it is either a whole new plane or the Ivar one like you said.To me the guy who might be able to somehow touch deadside is Clem since he can "put his fingers in the minds of the dead".
Wish I could remember which interview...it was definitely recently, but I don't remember if it was Dysart, Warren or Dino.

I don't know if that was one of the kids they were referring to, but the "other plane of reality" thing seems to tie in with a few concepts we've seen already. Not necessarily Deadside, but that is a border between many different places.

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

BugsySig wrote: Wish I could remember which interview...it was definitely recently, but I don't remember if it was Dysart, Warren or Dino.
Ok,oh well I will find eventually.
BugsySig wrote:I don't know if that was one of the kids they were referring to, but the "other plane of reality" thing seems to tie in with a few concepts we've seen already. Not necessarily Deadside, but that is a border between many different places.
It does indeed seem to tie with a lot of already mentionned concepts,I am mostly thinking about one the "places you have never dreamed of" Darque mentions in Shadowman #1.As for the tie in thing,I wonder what the relationship between Harbinger abilities and Necromantic energy is,and what would happen if a Psiot learned to harness said energy in the ways Dox can.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Mandrakk wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Wish I could remember which interview...it was definitely recently, but I don't remember if it was Dysart, Warren or Dino.
Ok,oh well I will find eventually.
BugsySig wrote:I don't know if that was one of the kids they were referring to, but the "other plane of reality" thing seems to tie in with a few concepts we've seen already. Not necessarily Deadside, but that is a border between many different places.
It does indeed seem to tie with a lot of already mentionned concepts,I am mostly thinking about one the "places you have never dreamed of" Darque mentions in Shadowman #1.As for the tie in thing,I wonder what the relationship between Harbinger abilities and Necromantic energy is,and what would happen if a Psiot learned to harness said energy in the ways Dox can.
Here it is: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/harbing ... rview.html
Joshua has created about 30 new characters for Harbinger Wars and they're unlike anything else that we're currently seeing in comics. He's also laid out some pretty cool rationales that will tie a few of them into other Valiant characters beyond Bloodshot and Harbinger alone.
:thumb:

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

BugsySig wrote:
Joshua has created about 30 new characters for Harbinger Wars and they're unlike anything else that we're currently seeing in comics. He's also laid out some pretty cool rationales that will tie a few of them into other Valiant characters beyond Bloodshot and Harbinger alone.
Thanks Man :thumb:

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Mandrakk wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Another interesting quote from the end of that interview: "Dropping them [HARD Corps] into the mix of Harbinger Wars is going to ensure things are explosive – and, rest assured, they are not an element that Bloodshot, Harada, or the Renegades will be anticipating."
So this does rule out Kuretich being funded by or working with the group that is controlling HARD Corps. I guess it was revealed that Keuritich was working for Harada in this issue? So that ties a bow on that theory. The fact that this team dropping in is going to surprise Harada is very interesting. Somebody was keeping this team/project WAY secretive to keep it off his radar.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

What I noticed in the interview was that Dinesh said Re Apparition in the Valiant universewhen talking about the H.A.R.D Corps,meaning that there was one in the Verse's past and that it had a great role and that it is thought to have been destroyed or something like that...Which might indicate that some people ,say Harada,had to deal with an incarnation of the corps,also for some reason I think they will be extremely dangerous and perhaps not as easy to control as the ones from the pre reboot Valiant verse.

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek

Post by Xtianhardy »

greg wrote:
Xtianhardy wrote:The only thing I didn't like about Gamma is the fact that her eyes didn't seem to glow when she used her powers. I thought it was established in Harbinger that the psiots eyes glow yellow when they're using their powers?
Do Archer's eyes glow? :hm:

Some people with abilities may not be psiots. :hm: :hm:
I'm not convinced yet that Archer is a psiot, but it's stated explicitly in Bloodshot #9 that Gamma is.

I know that Archer has unique powers, and some connection to the Nevada facility, but it's also stated that his powers come from the Akashic Record, or at least, he is able to tap into the Akashic Record and that is what allows him to know every fighting style/weapon use/etc.
Last edited by Xtianhardy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:39:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek

Post by Xtianhardy »

vaevictis wrote:To me, this issue also makes me believe even more strongly that Rai is imminent. Since Kuretich is working for Harada AND we know from Bloodshot #1 that he downloaded everything from Bloodshot, we can also assume that between the Blood of Heroes and the Bleeding Monk, Harada had everything he needed to create the first iteration of Rai. He likely wanted to use the technology to control Psiots like Pete.
I always thought that what they were downloading from Bloodshot in #1 was just a record of all the atrocities he'd committed. It had never occurred to me that they might try to create another being like Bloodshot out of that information. Man, wouldn't this be something. Great speculation!
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

I will be writing up a eulogy for Pulse sometime this week and posting it to my blog, she deserves it and has become one of my favorite supporting characters in comics since her appearance back in issue #2 or whatever one it was. She's earned her eulogy.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Mandrakk

Post by Mandrakk »

Yeah liked her too,as I said earlier,I really hope the new kids are worth here death.Hope that Kara won't know a similar fate during the Harbinger war.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Mandrakk wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Another interesting quote from the end of that interview: "Dropping them [HARD Corps] into the mix of Harbinger Wars is going to ensure things are explosive – and, rest assured, they are not an element that Bloodshot, Harada, or the Renegades will be anticipating."
So this does rule out Kuretich being funded by or working with the group that is controlling HARD Corps. I guess it was revealed that Keuritich was working for Harada in this issue? So that ties a bow on that theory. The fact that this team dropping in is going to surprise Harada is very interesting. Somebody was keeping this team/project WAY secretive to keep it off his radar.
Well, they could still be working for PRS. Remember, Kuretich was not aware of why they were hunting the kids originally, and left shortly thereafter. In a govt or private facility, its also not unusual for a group working on one project to be unaware of a group working on something else.

I also doubt Bloodshot, even when he was under PRS control, was kept apprised of anything outside his current mission. And as for Harada, while he obviously has moles in PRS, and the data downloaded from BS's brain via Kuretich, he isn't running PRS and may have only limited knowledge of their projects.

I agree these guys may have been kept "on ice", so to speak, just for an occasion such as this.