[Bloodshot] Do you think Gamma is an important character?

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
[Bloodshot] Do you think Gamma is an important character?

Post by Baramos »

So far she's been treated a bit like Chainsaw as just being an impediment for Bloodshot and other characters, but I'm actually pretty interested in her background and origin since so far she's the sole psiot we've been shown actively working for Project Rising Spirit in what appears to be a willing matter. Every other psiot we've seen has been antagonistic towards PRS, right?

She's also very old so I assume she's been around with powers for decades (we know it's at least been several years she's been working with PRS due to having known Pulse when she was a prisoner ther). Her name might also have meaning--I originally read it as like the way a very young kid would mispronounce "Gramma", but perhaps her code name is part of a greek alphabet progression? Like there might be other psiot operatives working for PRS named Alpha, Beta, etc.?

Just some thoughts. What do you guys think? She might just be a run-of-the-mill antagonist to be used as an obstacle an then discarded.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
Re: [Bloodshot] Do you think Gamma is an important character

Post by Blood of Heroes »

The idea that her name could be either "grandma" or a Greek letter had occurred to me. However, I don't think she'll be all that important.
We might see her in flashbacks, maybe a Bloodshot 0 appearance, but that's it. Maybe she'll be a love interest. :lol:

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Love gone bad. Perhaps this is why she is sucha controle freak. And lives absorbing fear. Like a battered woman now has the power to destroy like flamingo and her x. Sure would be a great back issue.
I Miss the good old days.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

There was an earlier Harbinger war... she definitely could have been in it.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I do wonder what happened to make her such a nasty old biddy.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I have mentioned in other posts that I think one-shot/chracter spotlight comics would be a great idea focusing on the 'lesser' characters that populate the ongoing series such as Gamma, Doc, etc.

A SPOTLIGHT: Gamma would be a nice addition to the collection imo.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Dr. Solar wrote:I do wonder what happened to make her such a nasty old biddy.
Maybe Aram jilted her at the alter in 1940.

One thing's for sure, I don't wanna see her in the Swimsuit Issue.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Blood of Heroes wrote:The idea that her name could be either "grandma" or a Greek letter had occurred to me. However, I don't think she'll be all that important.
We might see her in flashbacks, maybe a Bloodshot 0 appearance, but that's it. Maybe she'll be a love interest. :lol:
How about a Gamma cover by Grampa? :P

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

I'm not a huge Gamma fan, she never really excited me as a reader and I'm kinda hoping she either disappears or dies soon.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Mandrakk
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Mandrakk »

I think we might get to see Gamma again in some flashbacks from the first Harbinger war when she was young,explaining why she sided with Project Rising Spirit,and I must say that I am rather curious to see why a Psiot would voluntarily work for PRS.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Mandrakk wrote:I think we might get to see Gamma again in some flashbacks from the first Harbinger war when she was young,explaining why she sided with Project Rising Spirit,and I must say that I am rather curious to see why a Psiot would voluntarily work for PRS.
Maybe she's not a Psiot. What if she has a similar implant to HARD Corps? She could have been using that specific power because it is very effective at controlling the children. Perhaps if Chainsaw Command wasn't taken down, he would have uploaded a different power during he fight with the kids... :?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Xtianhardy
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Xtianhardy »

manga4life wrote:I'm not a huge Gamma fan, she never really excited me as a reader and I'm kinda hoping she either disappears or dies soon.
Ditto.

I always thought Gamma looked kind of stupid tbh. I'm glad she's gone and I hope she doesn't come back. She looked too much like a cartoon character imho

But I'll agree insofar as I wish we'd get some more back story on some of these characters. I'd like to know more about Kara and her past. That's kind of my only problem with this title, aside from that flashback issue this series has almost been all forward momentum and no pausing for reflection.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I really liked Gamma. She was very scary, and was an excellent villain. While I loved seeing her killed by the PRS kids, I hate to see her go.

As far as people that have a problem with lack of backstory, I think it is intentional. I think it is a strategy to put us in the same mindset as Bloodshot. He doesn't know what's going on with anything in his life, so neither do we. It's actually one of my favorite things about this book. I could see how it would aggravate some readers though. It's sorta like Memento. The movie is set up in a way that it makes you experience anterograde amnesia to some extent.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

I hate her. Way too cartoonish. I half expected tweety bird and sylvester to make a cameo. A truly lame character that I hope stays gone. I think she is the worst part of the series so far. The same thing could have been accomplished better with a more realistically scary character.

NapoleonBlownapart
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Magnus, Robot Fighter (2010)

Post by NapoleonBlownapart »

Baramos wrote:but I'm actually pretty interested in her background and origin since so far she's the sole psiot we've been shown actively working for Project Rising Spirit in what appears to be a willing matter. Every other psiot we've seen has been antagonistic towards PRS, right?
There's no reason for her not to work for PRS. Other psiots are getting kidnapped and forced to work for the military, but since her life is working out pretty well she has no reason to care what happens to them.

Personally, I liked Gamma. She's more than just a sadistic old woman; her power makes her the only person who could keep a bunker full of young Harbingers from escaping. I wouldn't want to see her come back because I really hate it when dead comic book characters get resurrected, but she has been my favorite villain since Valiant came back.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

I would assume most people would pass out before being able to actually dig into their brain, so I don't know that she's dead. Definitely blinded, though.

If they did kill her that would be fine, I would still be interested in the first Harbinger War in the future and her involvement in it, if she was.

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

I think will see more of her as the back story reveals, I believe one of the books will be focusing on the back story for a 4 issue arc.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

hawkeyeps wrote:I think will see more of her as the back story reveals, I believe one of the books will be focusing on the back story for a 4 issue arc.
Just curious, what makes you think that? Did you read something somewhere?

Personally I didn't like the Gamma character. I thought the idea for the character worked and made sense, but was a bit lame and uninteresting in execution. I really don't want to see any more of her full stop, in back story or anywhere.

But as Lorddunlow said, I like that the Bloodshot story has kept readers in the dark as much as the character is, because it helps us empathise with the character and want to root for him to succeed in his mission even more. It's been very well done so far :)

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I think will see more of her as the back story reveals, I believe one of the books will be focusing on the back story for a 4 issue arc.

Personally I didn't like the Gamma character. I thought the idea for the character worked and made sense, but was a bit lame and uninteresting in execution. I really don't want to see any more of her full stop, in back story or anywhere.

But as Lorddunlow said, I like that the Bloodshot story has kept readers in the dark as much as the character is, because it helps us empathise with the character and want to root for him to succeed in his mission even more. It's been very well done so far :)
I think he's referring to the Harby HW issues, which will flash back to the first confrontation between Harada and PRS.

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

I think he's referring to the Harby HW issues, which will flash back to the first confrontation between Harada and PRS.
Ah, that would make some sense.