Archer & Armstrong #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Archer & Armstrong #8 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

Savant wrote:Armstrong's not only an immortal, but also a cool cat whose hip linguistic skills pre-date the masses by hundreds upon hundreds of years.
I hope we don't see Armstrong become "the inventor" of modern phrases and practices ala Briscoe County Jr. :lol:

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

This remains the funniest series I've read in decades. I did indeed literally laugh out loud at the harem scene and Gilad's response.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:'Yo' and 'Bro'!...I didn't realise those phrases had been around since the 1100's? facepalm dear oh dear oh dear? As usual lots of interesting aspects to A&A but let down by lack of attention to detail.
If every dialogue in a period scene in a comic book is written like how the people are supposed to be speaking back in the day, you would never understand any of these books.
I agree with you but surely there's a happy medium to be had? For example, you wouldn't expect to read a comic book about cavemen telling each other to 'chillax' would you? :thumb:
+1

I really enjoyed the issue, and love the title in general so far - but that bit of seriously out of place jargon really took me out of it for a moment. I agree with Dallow, while I don't expect everything in this comedic story to be historically accurate, a certain amount of approximation would be appreciated. I think the scene could have been just as funny if he said something more in line with the time, or less specifically modern american slang.

Seriously good issue otherwise. :thumb:
What English that we would understand would approximate this?

SIÞEN þe sege and þe assaut watz sesed at Troye,
þe bor3 brittened and brent to bronde3 and askez,
þe tulk þat þe trammes of tresoun þer wro3t
Watz tried for his tricherie, þe trewest on erþe:
Hit watz Ennias þe athel, and his highe kynde,
þat siþen depreced prouinces, and patrounes bicome
Welne3e of al þe wele in þe west iles.
Fro riche Romulus to Rome ricchis hym swyþe,
With gret bobbaunce þat bur3e he biges vpon fyrst,
And neuenes hit his aune nome, as hit now hat;
Ticius to Tuskan and teldes bigynnes,
Langaberde in Lumbardie lyftes vp homes,
And fer ouer þe French flod Felix Brutus
On mony bonkkes ful brode Bretayn he settez wyth wynne,
Where werre and wrake and wonder
Bi syþez hatz wont þerinne,
And oft boþe blysse and blunder
Ful skete hatz skyfted synne.
Good point. If we have to be non-anachronistic... then THAT is what English looked like around 1100.
(Plus... every alien race ever encountered on Star Trek just happens to speak English... right?)

Yo, bro, let it go. :lol:
Once you learn that the letter þ is pronounced "th", you can pretty much follow the text if you speak it out loud.

Also, in 1100, the ruling class in England spoke French. The vulgar tongue may have resembled the above passage, however.