Valiant Timeline / Chronology (VEI)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Watchtower
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Valiant Timeline / Chronology (VEI)

Post by Watchtower »

The problem with putting specific dates comes down to the decompression of comic books. Back in the 90s you could fit a full story into a single issue, and VH1's timeline system benefited from that. Nowadays that same story can easily take 4-5 issues, which means there's not a whole lot changing all at once for a monthly comic.

I also don't think the "months pass between issues" idea works anymore. The arcs are flowing too seamlessly. A&A's the only Valiant comic that I could maybe sorta see spanning large lengths of time, what with all the world spanning and Faraway hijinks. In fact, I'd be amazed if the arcs for XO and Bloodshot occurred more than a week from each other.

With all that said, while I do think we have to assume comic book time is in full effect I can also see it all occurring in one jam-packed as hell year. I give props to the timeline for trying to work with what's given without stretching for more than what's there.

DIrishB
Favorite character: Ivar
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by DIrishB »

Watchtower wrote:The problem with putting specific dates comes down to the decompression of comic books. Back in the 90s you could fit a full story into a single issue, and VH1's timeline system benefited from that. Nowadays that same story can easily take 4-5 issues, which means there's not a whole lot changing all at once for a monthly comic.

I also don't think the "months pass between issues" idea works anymore. The arcs are flowing too seamlessly. A&A's the only Valiant comic that I could maybe sorta see spanning large lengths of time, what with all the world spanning and Faraway hijinks. In fact, I'd be amazed if the arcs for XO and Bloodshot occurred more than a week from each other.

With all that said, while I do think we have to assume comic book time is in full effect I can also see it all occurring in one jam-packed as hell year. I give props to the timeline for trying to work with what's given without stretching for more than what's there.
Thanks.

As for the timeline, it is tough as very few exact dates are given, and references to time passing (between arcs or whatever) are even more rare.

We've only had a few specific dates so far: August 2012 in Harbinger #0, January 2013 in Harbinger ongoing (#13 I believe), Halloween 2013 in Shadowman #11, and November 5, 2013 in the most recent A&A.

However, that indicates at least a year has passed in their timeline since XO #1. It's possible to assume Harbinger #0 occurs before the rest of the series since (if I recall correctly), there's no mention of Peter or the events from the ongoing, so it could be placed before or after the series beginning. But, given the January 2013 date occurring in Harbinger during the Harbinger Wars crossover that means Harbinger #1 would occur in November 2012, since there's a one month jump during the first arc while Peter's at the Harbinger Foundation. That would only leave a couple weeks to a month for him to track down the various Renegades and recruit them, as well as for his broken arm to heal which occurred at the end of the first arc, which would take a few months at least.

As for XO, I don't think much time happens between the first few arcs, however I think a fair amount of time occurs after the Planet Death arc as the Vine ship carrying Aric and his people travels back to Earth. While he travels extremely fast in just the suit, the Vine ship, while likely capable of fast travel (faster than light speed likely), it would still take awhile based on the vast distances in space.

Eventually I'm going to do a huge read through of all the issues released so far and double check for any mistakes I made or things I missed, but I'm pretty OCD so I'm quite confident in everything so far.

That said, generally I think its safe to assume a real time progression of the fictional timeline using the real world timeline as a basis. However, as you noted, each arc's issues tend to follow immediately after the previous one. So this tends to force a few month gap between each arc to align the timeline as such. This is also why I don't use specific months for placements unless they're specifically given in the issue itself, which as stated is pretty rare. But I'd say XO, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and A&A began (in Valiant's timeline) in Summer 2012, the same as when the relaunch happened. The most recent issue of Shadowman (#13) revealed Jack had only been Shadowman for a few months, and with #11 occurring on Halloween I'd say that shows Shadowman beginning during Summer 2013 and going right up to Fall/Winter 2013 with #13.

Eternal Warrior occurs sometime in 2010, and next arc will bring us to 4001. Q&W just mentioned or alluded to the Sect Civil War in its most recent issue, and since the second arc of Q&W occurs immediately after the first, I'd assume Q&W #1-8 occur soon after the current arc of A&A. As for A&A's timeline, with all the globe trotting it's easier to assume and account for several month gaps between arcs.

The crossovers, like Harbinger Wars, Unity, and the upcoming A&A/Bloodshot crossover are helpful in terms of the timeline as they show a concurrence between the titles.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Shadowman #13X, thanks to jthuconn for mailing me a copy. Will update for today's releases tonight or tomorrow.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #19, Archer & Armstrong #16, and Unity #2.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #20, Bloodshot and HARD Corps #17, and Eternal Warrior #4.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #20, Archer & Armstrong #17, and Unity #3.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #21 and Eternal Warrior #5.

Special thanks to Magnusr for pointing out a correction for Harbinger #20's "Now" portion.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Archer & Armstrong - Archer #0 and Shadowman #15.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Harbinger #21 and Eternal Warrior #6.

I also added all the announced upcoming new titles through September for the Valiant Firsts new titles and all the existing titles.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated the upcoming releases based on May's solicitations.

Interestingly, looks like Eternal Warrior is taking a break. There's no EW issue in May, likely as a way to make room for all the Valiant First titles. I'm guessing it'll take a 3-4 month break and start up again in October.

I'm also thinking Shadowman (the ongoing) will take a several month break after End Times finishes, with that supernatural corner of the Valiant verse being filled by Dr. Mirage.

I'm also thinking Delinquents may be a one-shot, or a four issue mini and another of the ongoings (maybe Q&W) will take a break while that releases.

This Valiant Firsts thing is wreaking havoc with my solicitation scheduling.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #22 and Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps - H.A.R.D. Corps #0

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but how do you account for the events taking place in the Faraway?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Keith wrote:Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but how do you account for the events taking place in the Faraway?
So far I'm just placing them in "present day". Obviously Faraway features time and space distortions of some kind, so that makes it just about impossible to accurately place them. It would also not make sense to place the A&A arc taking place in Faraway in the past, since it would make no sense were some diehard actually to read it in the timeline order. So the scenes with Faraway in A&A #0 are set at the beginning of the timeline (the earliest date in the Valiant universe shown so far), and the modern day Faraway scenes from the A&A arc are placed following the previous arc and before the next.

However, as for Ivar's time travel (shown in the issue with him and Armstrong traveling through time drinking heavily), those are placed in italics to denote the time travel aspect.

Any suggestions are always welcome, though.

obijuan
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher

Post by obijuan »

Very nice and dedicated work.
:clap:

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

DIrishB wrote:Updated for X-O Manowar #22 and Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps - H.A.R.D. Corps #0
Yes good work!

Just wondering, how does Bloodshot #0 and HARDCorps #0 matched up, I only saw BS0 under 1992 / 1993.
Is that right?

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker

Post by kjjohanson »

DIrishB wrote:
Keith wrote:Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but how do you account for the events taking place in the Faraway?
So far I'm just placing them in "present day". Obviously Faraway features time and space distortions of some kind, so that makes it just about impossible to accurately place them. It would also not make sense to place the A&A arc taking place in Faraway in the past, since it would make no sense were some diehard actually to read it in the timeline order. So the scenes with Faraway in A&A #0 are set at the beginning of the timeline (the earliest date in the Valiant universe shown so far), and the modern day Faraway scenes from the A&A arc are placed following the previous arc and before the next.

However, as for Ivar's time travel (shown in the issue with him and Armstrong traveling through time drinking heavily), those are placed in italics to denote the time travel aspect.

Might I suggest a separate timeline for the Faraway (since I imagine we'll end up seeing others enter the Faraway in future issues)?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

obijuan wrote:Very nice and dedicated work.
:clap:
Thanks!
AnthonyF wrote:
DIrishB wrote:Updated for X-O Manowar #22 and Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps - H.A.R.D. Corps #0
Yes good work!

Just wondering, how does Bloodshot #0 and HARDCorps #0 matched up, I only saw BS0 under 1992 / 1993.
Is that right?
No, there's a specific date of 1993 in HARDCorps #0 (among many others between the late 1960s' to early 90's). Also Bloodshot appears in HARDCorps #0's portion that takes place in 1993, so it likely happens soon after Bloodshot's creation. Or at least within a year of his creation.
kjjohanson wrote:
DIrishB wrote:

Might I suggest a separate timeline for the Faraway (since I imagine we'll end up seeing others enter the Faraway in future issues)?
Eh, I don't see the point. Time is weird in the Faraway, so it may likely be confusing to split up the timeline, as opposed to just using the character's (Archer, Armstrong, Mary Maria) own present time to set those particular issues. There's no evidence to point to it occurring at a different time so far. If there is in the future I'll definitely change it to reflect that, but currently it probably works best to leave it in "present time". This allows for a nice, all in one approach.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Archer & Armstrong #18 and Quantum and Woody!: Goat #0.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #20 and Unity #5.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for X-O Manowar #23, Shadowman #16, and Harbinger - Bleeding Monk #0.

DIrishB

Post by DIrishB »

Updated for Eternal Warrior #7.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Whew! Already it's very convoluted.

How are they going to keep up with continuity a few years down the road? Their writers are going to have to read everything really closely, especially when they do Eternal Warrior, Armstrong, and Timewalker stories.

Great work!
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

AnthonyF
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

bamaphilosopher wrote:Whew! Already it's very convoluted.

How are they going to keep up with continuity a few years down the road? Their writers are going to have to read everything really closely, especially when they do Eternal Warrior, Armstrong, and Timewalker stories.

Great work!

Or they can just treat EW like Wolverine and Spider-man, and anything goes.

There's less :!: that way.

:P

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

They'd better develop a continuity bible for their writers, at this rate. lol

I hope the site administrators consider making this a sticky thread, because I know I'd like to refer to it again and again.
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

VEI needs their version of this amazing thing:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Holocron ... y_database" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It comes with a keeper, a Guardian of The Holocron!

Sorry, I had to type that! :P
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo