Armorclads #1 (2022)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Armorclads #1 (2022)

Post by greg »

Discussion of Armorclads #1 (2022)

Wearing suits to work on another planet to obtain Unobtainium Pure. Seemed like an obvious Avatar influence.

However, I am hopeful because the "villains" in the first issue are aliens... and spiders... in a title with "space armor".
Coincidence? I hope not.

If there's one thing Valiant 2012-present has been missing, it's Spider Aliens. :D

xo1_pg1_1992m.jpg
xo1_pg1_1992m.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Armorclads #1 (2022)

Post by SwiftMann »

It was an interesting read. Felt super derivative, but interesting and coherent, which is more than I can say for anything other than Rai in the last 2-3 years.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I'm still on the fence about trying this one. I can do without derivative crap... but you're kinda piquing my interest if theres actual VALIANT universe Spider Aliens making their VEI/VMG era debut!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

This was fine, not great but I’ll pick up the next issue. I assume somehow it fits into the Valiant Universe but after issue #1 there’s no obvious connection (unless the spider-alien thing turns out to be true).

I think I’m more open to this from DMG as it’s a new property and there’s no established bench mark (like there is for XO, Bloodshot etc)

TBH if it had the Image logo rather than the Valiant logo then I’d probably drop it after issue 1 but I *want* to like these books so I’m sticking with it. Never heard of the creators before and without Dinesh’s hype it’s difficult to get excited about this launch but I’m giving it a go.

3/5 - decent enough

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Thanks for the reviews. After reading Valiant's website the story seems to borrow some concepts from the Exosquad cartoon. It is worth reading issue by issue or waiting for the TPB?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:32:27 pm Thanks for the reviews. After reading Valiant's website the story seems to borrow some concepts from the Exosquad cartoon. It is worth reading issue by issue or waiting for the TPB?
IMO, when DMG do (or attempt to do) the right thing then support them by buying individual issues. In this instance they’ve launched a new book, ok story, reasonable art, no political agenda so I’ll support them by buying individual issues.

However, on the other hand, trash like Bloodshot, XO, Savage etc I avoid like the plague to send a clear message.

If enough people go likewise then maybe a message will eventually get through.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08:58 pm If enough people go likewise then maybe a message will eventually get through.
Are you saying there are too many people buying Valiant comics right now? :twisted: :P :D

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:12:35 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08:58 pm If enough people go likewise then maybe a message will eventually get through.
Are you saying there are too many people buying Valiant comics right now? :twisted: :P :D
Ha ha definitely not! :lol: I’m saying that fans have to show a discernible buying difference between the good stuff and the dross. Bit like a Pavlovian experiment, reinforce them when they do what we want!

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:35:59 pm It was an interesting read. Felt super derivative, but interesting and coherent, which is more than I can say for anything other than Rai in the last 2-3 years.
I have actually enjoyed Shadowman as well, but I'm only up to issue #4. I was thinking of dropping this title because I was not impressed with #1, but I'll keep it for now based on the comments here.
Side thought: wow have the subjects and comments dropped off here.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

cthulhu73 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:09:31 pm Side thought: wow have the subjects and comments dropped off here.
It couldn't be because the comics aren't made for the fans that have kept the brand and characters alive for all these years, could it? Couldn't be because the people who make this stuff only seem to care about being producers on wanna-be Marvel movies instead of actually caring about Valiant comics or the characters. Must be something else.