Britannia #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Britannia #4 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #14], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr95/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Britannia #4 Dicsussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Satisfied with the ending, great book! Such a fantastic series, can't wait to see if there will be more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Re: Britannia #4 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Per Bleeding Cool:

Ave Imperator,
Morititury Te Salutant

Axia Redit
Adventum
MMXVII

Hail Emperor,
We who are about to die salute you

Axia Returns
Coming
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Satisfied with the ending, great book! Such a fantastic series, can't wait to see if there will be more!
I would agree, a pretty good wrap up. Listening to VCR now... (I miss Chris' spoiler pause song :lol: )

To me, wyrd = ward. Like the wards Shan places on things...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:To me, wyrd = ward. Like the wards Shan places on things...
Good point --- these ancient beings that respond to Shan or Punk Mambo or the creatures from Wrath of the Eternal Warrior were clearly around during the Britannia times... and even thousands of years earlier in Celtic times. It makes sense that the "science" of the mysticism has always been there. It has just changed names (or accents).

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Excellent miniseries!
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

The wyrd woman said Orkus came from the Dark Side. Are we to assume that she is talking about the Deadside?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Keith wrote:The wyrd woman said Orkus came from the Dark Side. Are we to assume that she is talking about the Deadside?
That's what I got from it. She may not have a real name for it, or it hadn't been named just yet, but I think the reference is the same.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Decent finish to this mini and I'm glad there's another in the pipeline. Whilst this didn't blow me away, I like the fact that Valiant take risks on interesting concepts. Ryp's art was top quality so hopefully they keep this team together as they do with Divinity.

3.75/5 :thumb:

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

It wasn't a mind blowing wrap up but satisfying none the less, would like to see more. The art was stellar and I loved all the attention to detail and historical fact.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

QUARTZ wrote:It wasn't a mind blowing wrap up but satisfying none the less, would like to see more. The art was stellar and I loved all the attention to detail and historical fact.
That's one of my favourite elements of this mini too - all the rich historical detail. And more specifically, it's historical detail that doesn't have to be historically accurate to be appreciated.., it's all woven into the tapestry of this fictional story in a manner that enhances the reading experience. Moreso if you're also familiar with those historical details too - at least for me it was.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

I thought this was a strong wrap up to the mini

It was a satisfying self contained story. It will be cool at some point to see this story and these characters get woven into the larger fabric of the universe but I'm good with it not at this point

This is the best thing Milligan has done for Valiant and I look forward to reading more about these characters
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Good stuff. Nothing to be OMGOMG but definitely a solid read until the end. Ork(c)us could be a red demon with a mace (D&D geekness syndrome) but that HPL-like "stuff" was cool.
Art was stellar, all troughout the series- Ryp is one of my top 5 Valiant artists for sure.
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

Just now catching up on the series, so actually a question about Britannia #3: Did anyone notice the dinosaur skulls on the wall in Eryn's hut? It would seem there is at least some connection to the Faraway there.

As others have said, I took Darkside to equal the Deadside. Orkus seems like the kind of being that would come from there, and I doubt Valiant wants to muddy up the mythology there any further than it already is.

Finally, does Bodmall's powers resemble the Geomancer's and if so, is she the Geomancer of that time period or does something for Eternal Warrior's side of things conflict with that? We know Gilad was active in fighting with the Visigoths some 350 years after this, can't think of anything in this era. And the powers seem so related to plants and the earth (the old woman who gives her power to Bodmall is covered in moss and vines) that the imagery seems to back this up.

So, if she is the Geomancer, what is the "sister wyrd" that the Vestal Virgins wield? The power of life? Or just fire as a "sister" to the earth, like the four elements? Rubria as Chief Vestal could be a being similar to a Geomancer but representing some other power that is "personified" in worship of Vesta. I don't think the "Houses" from Eternal Warrior are going to play any further role in the universe so this could be a move towards putting something else in there to expand the mythology of the universe past just Geomancers.

Anyway, just some thoughts, I am catching up on some older books I had passed over, so if anything I said here has been explored further in some other books I'd be glad to hear it.

Looking forward to seeing Axia back in 2017.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I really liked this mini and I am glad to hear that they are moving forward with another. It will be interesting to see how this relates to the VEI universe as a whole later on down the line. I really liked the fact that they didn't try to force the story to fit in with the VEI universe as it currently stands.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Baramos wrote:Just now catching up on the series, so actually a question about Britannia #3: Did anyone notice the dinosaur skulls on the wall in Eryn's hut? It would seem there is at least some connection to the Faraway there.

As others have said, I took Darkside to equal the Deadside. Orkus seems like the kind of being that would come from there, and I doubt Valiant wants to muddy up the mythology there any further than it already is.

Finally, does Bodmall's powers resemble the Geomancer's and if so, is she the Geomancer of that time period or does something for Eternal Warrior's side of things conflict with that? We know Gilad was active in fighting with the Visigoths some 350 years after this, can't think of anything in this era. And the powers seem so related to plants and the earth (the old woman who gives her power to Bodmall is covered in moss and vines) that the imagery seems to back this up.

So, if she is the Geomancer, what is the "sister wyrd" that the Vestal Virgins wield? The power of life? Or just fire as a "sister" to the earth, like the four elements? Rubria as Chief Vestal could be a being similar to a Geomancer but representing some other power that is "personified" in worship of Vesta. I don't think the "Houses" from Eternal Warrior are going to play any further role in the universe so this could be a move towards putting something else in there to expand the mythology of the universe past just Geomancers.

Anyway, just some thoughts, I am catching up on some older books I had passed over, so if anything I said here has been explored further in some other books I'd be glad to hear it.

As the post below yours says, I don't think the story seems too closely tied with the rest of the VU yet, so I'm wondering if you're trying to find meaning in the comic (relating to Bodmall's powers and the nature magic) that simply isn't there? Might be for all I know o/c and that's the fun of speculation, but I'll need a little more convincing before I can start considering those ideas :lol:

I definitely noticed the dinosaur skulls however, and did wonder how they could have come to be there :hm:

I also guessed that the 'Dark Side' may have been a reference to the Deadside. Like someone suggested it could be possible back in that time period that there simply wasn't a suitable expression for a place outside 'reality' and she just described it in her own way. The Saxons weren't a well educated bunch after all :lol: Or maybe that was the regional name at that time for the Deadside, same as how the Deadside could theoretically be named something else in the 4001U as language and knowledges develops and changes.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Baramos wrote:Just now catching up on the series, so actually a question about Britannia #3: Did anyone notice the dinosaur skulls on the wall in Eryn's hut? It would seem there is at least some connection to the Faraway there.

As the post below yours says, I don't think the story seems too closely tied with the rest of the VU yet, so I'm wondering if you're trying to find meaning in the comic (relating to Bodmall's powers and the nature magic) that simply isn't there? Might be for all I know o/c and that's the fun of speculation, but I'll need a little more convincing before I can start considering those ideas :lol:

I definitely noticed the dinosaur skulls however, and did wonder how they could have come to be there :hm:

I also guessed that the 'Dark Side' may have been a reference to the Deadside. Like someone suggested it could be possible back in that time period that there simply wasn't a suitable expression for a place outside 'reality' and she just described it in her own way. The Saxons weren't a well educated bunch after all :lol: Or maybe that was the regional name at that time for the Deadside, same as how the Deadside could theoretically be named something else in the 4001U as language and knowledges develops and changes.
Excellent points, I suppose it could all be newly formulated mythology that is now being added to the universe. The only reason I assume everything is connected is I remember back when Divinity came out, for some reason, and I don't know if it was just my own expectations or the way Valiant marketed it, but I thought it was going to be pretty much entirely disconnected from the rest of the Valiant universe...and then Divinity ended up fighting Unity! So now I guess I expect everything to be connected.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I finally got around to reading the last two issues of this mini. A really good story, that was beautifully rendered. Looking forward to the next one this week.. :thumb:
#StayValiant