Bloodshot USA #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot USA #4 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Divinity III #2, and Savage #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Re: Bloodshot USA #4 Discussion

Post by Brapbrap »

i loved the crazy stuff they did with the art at the climax of the story, dont think i have ever seen an event comic before where the big moment is so artistically stunning. liked the resolutions, am interested to see where kaymate goes and love that they kept bloodhound with ray.

my only little criticism is that they killed off kozol in 2 panels, valiant literally has only got 4 big recurring villains atm (kozol, harada, trill and darque) and it was not a suitable death for kozol at all, shouldn't have been killed at all in my opinion and i really hope he comes back as some sort of nanite kozol honestly.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I was kind of bummed / confused about apparently killing of Kozol too.
Especially since Dysart posted a exert of his upcoming Imperium script and it specifically mentions Kozol.
Great issue though. Bloodshot has been consistently awesome since the 2012 launch.
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I am half expecting Kozol to return, too. It does look like the FBI may have been the ones hauling off his body bag since Festival was there, but then again she may have just been observing. I thought this was well done. It was an action-oriented event, yet it built up the characters even more, like Magic for instance.

Thought it was a nice touch that it closed the way the Reborn series opened - focused on a motel. I think that sums up his transitory life.

My non-spoiler review for All-Comic: http://all-comic.com/2017/bloodshot-u-s-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

sonicdan wrote:I was kind of bummed / confused about apparently killing of Kozol too.
Especially since Dysart posted a exert of his upcoming Imperium script and it specifically mentions Kozol.
Great issue though. Bloodshot has been consistently awesome since the 2012 launch.
While it did seem like a very deliberate neck twisting action by Deathmate, I think its possible for him to survive it - people injure/break their necks all the time without dying. I think he'll be back again soon, he has become kind of a key villain in the modern Valiant universe. I can't see them wanting him killed off like this. Pixie makes a great point too, we've seen that Dysart is working on a script that he is in.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Overall I have not enjoyed this mini-series very much. Great mindless fun action, and very well drawn at that [love Braithwaites art], but the core premise is just too flawed for my tastes.

PRS can be as secretive as they want, and try to cover their tracks all they want to stay out of public awareness, but governing agencies around the world know they exist. Diane Festival is not the only person in the world who is aware of them and has some files on them. They wouldn't have gotten away with such a hair-brained scheme. Kozol was shamefully reduced to a 1 dimensional mustache twirling villain for much of the series.

And bringing back Kay as Deathmate feels cheap. The emotional notes Lemire was trying to hit with the interaction between her & Ray & Magic all fell flat for me. He has much more of a relationship established with Magic for there ever to have been any question of who he would chose between her or Kay. He was with Kay for all of a hot minute in The Valiant. Her death was tragic & he clearly feels guilt over that, but it doesn't equate to real love to me.

I have really like the addition of the squad of outdated Bloodshots to the cast of characters though - I hope to see more of them in the future. Its a shame that the most interesting one, who we know the least about [Quiet Man], was killed off.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I'm compleatly opposite. I enjoyed this run since the beginning. It make a circle effect that I really like. I'd preferred if kay died but what ever more hero's for future events.
Kozol death made me very happy and I hope he's dead. I remember back in bloodshot the guy before Kozol died kinda un epically so I'd expect Kozol to be dead. But that being said wasent Kozol boss said it was his last chance or some crap so hopefully there a meeting like last time and it's decided to resurrect Kozol for some sinister plan.
Blood shot better continue because it's been consistently good. Thanks again Valiant money well spent.
I Miss the good old days.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I wonder if this leads directly into Secret Weapons with the other Bloodshots and Kay?
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

The dog is the best, btw. Nothing better ever happen to that pooch.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

jeremycoe wrote:I wonder if this leads directly into Secret Weapons with the other Bloodshots and Kay?
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who saw that...

I came here to ask that same basic question.

Did anyone else feel like the shot of Deathmate, and the remaining Bloodshot squad walking into Gate HQ had a Secret Weapons feel to it?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

grendeljd wrote:
sonicdan wrote:I was kind of bummed / confused about apparently killing of Kozol too.
While it did seem like a very deliberate neck twisting action by Deathmate, I think its possible for him to survive it - people injure/break their necks all the time without dying. I think he'll be back again soon, he has become kind of a key villain in the modern Valiant universe. I can't see them wanting him killed off like this. Pixie makes a great point too, we've seen that Dysart is working on a script that he is in.
The super killing mechine and intent kaymate had in killing him and she screws up a standard neck break.
Nanite infused sounds better

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

pixierosa wrote:The dog is the best, btw. Nothing better ever happen to that pooch.
My wife is a huge dog lover... she couldn't read the scenes in prior issues where Bloodhound would get hurt by Deathmate. Pretty sure if anything happens to that dog, this may be the end of my wife's comics reading adventure.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I think it's a fabulous wrap-up to a great arc. The whole series has been great. :clap:

The climax was especially gratifying superhero stuff. Good guys battling insurmountable odds, fighting to the last breath to save the city and perhaps all of humanity, heroes falling... and the big rescue by the super-villain turned super-heroine.

And in the denouement, Bloodshot gets the girl, to coin a phrase.

Fantastic.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

pixierosa wrote:The dog is the best, btw. Nothing better ever happen to that pooch.
+1

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

hawkeyeps wrote:
+1
I could read an entire mini regarding that dog and his adventures. Back in the 80's Canada had a show called littlest hobo. I used to love watching that dog save people from burning buildings and helping gramps with his heart medication.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nonplayer wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
+1
I could read an entire mini regarding that dog and his adventures. Back in the 80's Canada had a show called littlest hobo. I used to love watching that dog save people from burning buildings and helping gramps with his heart medication.
"Maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down... Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on..." :thumb: :clap:

I love that Bloodhound is sticking around too :D

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:Overall I have not enjoyed this mini-series very much. Great mindless fun action, and very well drawn at that [love Braithwaites art], but the core premise is just too flawed for my tastes.

PRS can be as secretive as they want, and try to cover their tracks all they want to stay out of public awareness, but governing agencies around the world know they exist. Diane Festival is not the only person in the world who is aware of them and has some files on them. They wouldn't have gotten away with such a hair-brained scheme. Kozol was shamefully reduced to a 1 dimensional mustache twirling villain for much of the series.

And bringing back Kay as Deathmate feels cheap. The emotional notes Lemire was trying to hit with the interaction between her & Ray & Magic all fell flat for me. He has much more of a relationship established with Magic for there ever to have been any question of who he would chose between her or Kay. He was with Kay for all of a hot minute in The Valiant. Her death was tragic & he clearly feels guilt over that, but it doesn't equate to real love to me.

I have really like the addition of the squad of outdated Bloodshots to the cast of characters though - I hope to see more of them in the future. Its a shame that the most interesting one, who we know the least about [Quiet Man], was killed off.
I agree with the plus and minus points made by Grendel about the plot, Kay, Kozol, Bloodshot squad etc although I did enjoy the the mini overall, certainly not perfect but lots of action.

I'd have preferred Kay to have died at the end of this mini, not sure I'm liking her cheating death. Kozol had become a bit ridiculous by the end so I'm not sorry to see him go but I'm not convinced he is actually dead.

I found Lemire's writing of Ninjak a bit irritating, the quips seemed unnatural and at the wrong moments. No spider-man treatment for Ninjak please!

This mini fell a little short of what I was hoping for but I'd still give it 3.75/5!

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

grendeljd wrote: "Maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down... Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on..." :thumb: :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Donovan wrote:
grendeljd wrote: "Maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down... Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on..." :thumb: :clap:
:high-five:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

slack wrote:Did anyone else feel like the shot of Deathmate, and the remaining Bloodshot squad walking into Gate HQ had a Secret Weapons feel to it?
Not sure how I'd feel about that. How many books based on nanite-infused killing machines does the VEI universe need?

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio

Post by Phoenix8008 »

grendeljd wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
+1
"Maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down... Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on..." :thumb: :clap:

If the relationship carries on for quite awhile, it gives even more meaning to the final scene from the Fall of Bloodshot issue where the small dog is laying down with him as he's dying. Way to backfill even more emotion into that scene VEI!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
+1

If the relationship carries on for quite awhile, it gives even more meaning to the final scene from the Fall of Bloodshot issue where the small dog is laying down with him as he's dying. Way to backfill even more emotion into that scene VEI!
Yes!! Great observation, man! :clap:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:If the relationship carries on for quite awhile, it gives even more meaning to the final scene from the Fall of Bloodshot issue where the small dog is laying down with him as he's dying. Way to backfill even more emotion into that scene VEI!
Alright, since we've gone all Sarah McLachlan over the dog :P , we should think up an appropriate name for him. I mean, Ray's not gonna wander around calling him Bloodhound, is he?

Rex, Fido and Rover are out -- too conventional. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe... Kozol? :wink:

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I wonder if Bloodhound can see/sense/interact with Bloodsquirt as well? I can see Bloodsquirt riding Bloodhound into battle!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote: I can see Bloodsquirt riding Bloodhound into battle!
Thanks. Now I can't unimagine that. facepalm

:D