Bloodshot:Reborn #0 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot:Reborn #0 discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and XO Manowar #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr109/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Bloodshot:Reborn #0 discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

So, has anyone put a time stamp on this yet?
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Don't know if it'll matter, but could all of Bloodshot USA have happened AFTER Divinity III?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I wish I could comment on this issue, but my LCS got shorted by Diamond, so I have to wait and see if it comes in 2 weeks from now before I'll get to read it. C'est la vie!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Image

Don't know if it'll matter, but could all of Bloodshot USA have happened AFTER Divinity III?
I think you are right.
I Miss the good old days.

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

Pretty sure hes talking about Divinity I, they never tried to control or contain kazmir

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I think we can safely say this issue takes place around the time of the first Harbinger: Renegade arc. I recall they mentioned the events of Bloodshot USA having already occurred in the issue #4.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Great issue!

Seeing how the Squad members have been upgraded and can change their appearances now they would be perfect soldiers on Secret Weapons team but I guess it's too late for that now.

I really dig Guedes' art and hope we'll see more stuff from him but IIRC LaRosa and Suayan will share art duties on BSS.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Enjoyable issue, bridging Bloodshot USA to the next series (Salvation). Good to tie up loose ends, was slightly surprised that Kozol is actually dead but there's clearly a ready made replacement for him and PRS in the new org Project Omen (I think it was called).

Still not happy Kay is still alive, I don't feel it was worth killing her and bringing her back breaking the 'dead is dead' rule.

Interesting that Magic is pregnant, although teasers for the new series shows Bloodshot with a small child around 9 years old, does that mean we're in for another time hop into the future? :?

Overall a quiet but enjoyable issue 3.75/5

Sunlight on Snow

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyable issue, bridging Bloodshot USA to the next series (Salvation). Good to tie up loose ends, was slightly surprised that Kozol is actually dead but there's clearly a ready made replacement for him and PRS in the new org Project Omen (I think it was called).

Still not happy Kay is still alive, I don't feel it was worth killing her and bringing her back breaking the 'dead is dead' rule.

Interesting that Magic is pregnant, although teasers for the new series shows Bloodshot with a small child around 9 years old, does that mean we're in for another time hop into the future? :?

BSS will have 2 timelines - the present day and 8 years into the future - and then there's BS 4001 (in the FCBD Special).

http://valiantuniverse.com/2017/03/02/e ... september/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Enjoyable issue, bridging Bloodshot USA to the next series (Salvation). Good to tie up loose ends, was slightly surprised that Kozol is actually dead but there's clearly a ready made replacement for him and PRS in the new org Project Omen (I think it was called).

BSS will have 2 timelines - the present day and 8 years into the future - and then there's BS 4001 (in the FCBD Special).

http://valiantuniverse.com/2017/03/02/e ... september/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting and ambitious. I like the sound of this but as with BOD it concerns me that laying down the future is restrictive to later storylines. For example, from BOD we know Commander Trill converts in the future and becomes a 'good guy', so any current story we see Trill in we know he won't die, which kind of mutes the story somewhat.

But, if this story is well written and VEI can keep up with continuity then it should be good.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dinesh has been recently quoted online confirming that Kay is dead... facepalm
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I very much enjoyed this issue and thought the art was terrific. It's a nice denouement to the last arc.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:

Hmmm...wonder what he means? :hm:

Sunlight on Snow

grendeljd wrote:

If Kay was really dead and this was another appearance/persona of Deathmate just like the Bloodshots can change theirs then the whole "she's fighting back the memory suppression programming" part at the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd issue of the BS Island arc doesn't make much sense (anymore).... unless it does (somehow). :screwy: :? Anyone else have a crazy theory?

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

A complaint/criticism - Valiant never seems settled on the public's knowledge of PRS. In this issue, it's reported that PRS was a shadowy organization previously unknown to the general public, but in Imperium we see that PRS is openly advertising and selling psiot inhibitors to the world. So which is it?

I'm of two minds on Kay/Deathmate... a) no no no she's dead and needs to stay dead, but b) the argument could be made that it's not really her. Looks, like, talks like, has the memories... sure, but not the Kay McHenry before she died. Kinda like in Dracula, when Lucy comes back as a vampire. Van Helsing had to convince everyone that she was no longer the woman they knew, but a monster. if Valiant brought her back as the exact same character she was before, (like pretty much every Marvel/DC character... looking at you, Jean Grey) then I wouldn't be debating this, but now she is something completely different.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

We don't need to compare Kay/Deathmate to Dracula. Compare her to Bloodshot. His first missions that we saw (in flashbacks), he looked nothing like Ray and he even believed he was those other soldiers/fathers. Deathmate was "made from" Kay, but it isn't Kay... it's the nanites.

Go farther... crazy theory time... "She" will become a "he"... go farther? Go Father.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

greg wrote:We don't need to compare Kay/Deathmate to Dracula. Compare her to Bloodshot. His first missions that we saw (in flashbacks), he looked nothing like Ray and he even believed he was those other soldiers/fathers. Deathmate was "made from" Kay, but it isn't Kay... it's the nanites.

Go farther... crazy theory time... "She" will become a "he"... go farther? Go Father.
I like what you did there! :lol:

Yes, I'm down with the theory that Kay isn't really Kay and if that's the explanation then that keeps the 'dead is dead' rule in tact. :thumb:

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

I really like this issue. Valiant did a great job humanising Ray. A daughter is a great way to go. Still waiting to see what happened with Aric's daughter. Really enjoying all the females good way to get in on the feminist crowd. Hopefully Kay doesn't gender change that's just to out there. It would suck in society's bs and may get more readers so ya go for it.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

nonplayer wrote:I really like this issue. Valiant did a great job humanising Ray. A daughter is a great way to go. Still waiting to see what happened with Aric's daughter. Really enjoying all the females good way to get in on the feminist crowd. Hopefully Kay doesn't gender change that's just to out there. It would suck in society's bs and may get more readers so ya go for it.
Blood hound was awsome.

Sunlight on Snow

nonplayer wrote:Blood hound was awsome.
Bloodhound IS awesome!

Someone mentioned it before (VCR?) the mutt should get its own origin story and one-shot.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

If Kay was really dead and this was another appearance/persona of Deathmate just like the Bloodshots can change theirs then the whole "she's fighting back the memory suppression programming" part at the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd issue of the BS Island arc doesn't make much sense (anymore).... unless it does (somehow). :screwy: :? Anyone else have a crazy theory?
I'd go with what Greg said - she's essentially a corpse animated by nanites, just like Ray Garrison is. He has managed to recover his mind to a point where he's become almost human again, but the technology that created him (and Deathmate) originally made him like a mindless organic-robot. His physical appearance is the look of his original body, not a conscious (or unconscious) projection by the nanites. It was established early on that maintaining those false physical impersonations was very draining on the nanites and would generally only last for a limited time.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Keith wrote:A complaint/criticism - Valiant never seems settled on the public's knowledge of PRS. In this issue, it's reported that PRS was a shadowy organization previously unknown to the general public, but in Imperium we see that PRS is openly advertising and selling psiot inhibitors to the world. So which is it?
I don't think PRS was ever in the general public's awareness - I think they've always been a shady secretive organization. As far as the advertising in Imperium goes, I always took that as advertising that was specifically targeted at classified, high level top secret types within the government or military etc. only. The "commercials" were probably not ever shown on tv, for example. Kind of like big budget slide presentation/sales pitches for a very select audience.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Yes, I'm down with the theory that Kay isn't really Kay and if that's the explanation then that keeps the 'dead is dead' rule in tact. :thumb:
I dunno. If she looks like Kay and has Kay's memories, she's Kay.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

When they 'upgraded' the older Bloodshots to have the same nanites as Ray, Capshaw says they'll be able to control their appearance 'like Ray' and indeed they all change colour to their human form. However, my understanding was that BS/Ray could only do this for a short amount of time (based on the early part of the run) and that he was only his human colour in Bloodshot Reborn when he had less nanites in him. Does this mean the older Bloodshots now have less nanites as they are human colour or is Lemire inventing a convenient special ability just to fit in with the story? :? Else wouldn't Ray be 'normal' skin colour all the time if he could be?