Rapture #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Gafti
Account inactive by user's request
Valiant fan since: March 2017
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu +All of them are amazing
Re: Rapture #1 Discussion

Post by Gafti »

"hold me closer, Geomancer........" - Elton John.
Stay Valiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:I really like what Tama says about the Book of the Geomancer being vague and constantly rewriting itself meaning whatever happened to the future of the Valiant Universe in the Book of Death.... stays in the Book of Death. It's official now!
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but my interpretation is that the book rewrites itself according to the actions happening presently. Hence, the future we saw in BoD may no longer be for certain.
Exactly.

Sorry for being as vague as the Book of the Geomancer. :lol:
:lol:

I think it's a correct statement to say that the future events as described in the main Book Of Death storyline are largely not going to happen anymore, as they averted the crisis & stopped Master Darque by the end of it. This revelation about how the Book of the Geomancer works in Rapture #1 is just a really great explanation that confirms it.

However, in my mind it *doesn't* mean that the events of the "Fall Of" one shots are also no longer true. I didn't think those stories were connected in any way to the outcome of the battle against Darque in the main BoD story, and therefore can still be considered as something that will someday come to pass.

Not that they're written in stone though - other events may yet occur which could alter the future as set out in those stories too.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:I really like what Tama says about the Book of the Geomancer being vague and constantly rewriting itself meaning whatever happened to the future of the Valiant Universe in the Book of Death.... stays in the Book of Death. It's official now!
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but my interpretation is that the book rewrites itself according to the actions happening presently. Hence, the future we saw in BoD may no longer be for certain.
Exactly.

Sorry for being as vague as the Book of the Geomancer. :lol:
:lol:

I think it's a correct statement to say that the future events as described in the main Book Of Death storyline are largely not going to happen anymore, as they averted the crisis & stopped Master Darque by the end of it. This revelation about how the Book of the Geomancer works in Rapture #1 is just a really great explanation that confirms it.

However, in my mind it *doesn't* mean that the events of the "Fall Of" one shots are also no longer true. I didn't think those stories were connected in any way to the outcome of the battle against Darque in the main BoD story, and therefore can still be considered as something that will someday come to pass.

Not that they're written in stone though - other events may yet occur which could alter the future as set out in those stories too.
Other events like Aric shagging an Azure beauty with a funny tail. :lol:

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Gafti wrote:
otomo wrote:I kinda didn't love it. I'll have more later but thought the story was a bit info-dumpy and for a billing of NINJA K / SHADOWMAN ... got like 2 pages of both.
When you have a meal, do you go for the main course first?
Same concept. This issue is just the salad and bread of a 4 course meal. Not meant to fill you up, but to wet your appetite.
Let it build. I think the payoff here will be satisfying. Just the promise of Rapture setting up a new arc for next year's Shadow man release is enough to keep me interested.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it though, and I do hope you get what you're looking for in the next 3 issues. I think you will.
Yeah I understand. It wasn't -bad- or anything but for something billed with those two characters on the headline... having a Tama talks to demon adventure is a little weak of an opening and left me feeling "meh". I get there's a lot to set up for his storyline. By contrast the X-O #1 made me hungry for more immediately. Eternal Warrior: Awakening did the same thing (so annoyed that's a one shot!). This was a bit slow. On the Shadowman front, I'm really sad that they didn't do more of a retcon for the character. the "we're locking you up with the Loa get it under control" as about the only Shadowman interaction in the issue just disappointed me because I hated that last Shadowman storyline so much. Just solidly meh for a single issue without much happening. Didn't feel like a full story unlike the other two I talked about either.

I trust Matt Kindt enough that I'm going to keep going on the series, but this is one of his weaker efforts that I've read in terms of Valiant comics. Hopefully they take Shadowman back to a better direction and I'll be happier again by the end.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:I think it's a correct statement to say that the future events as described in the main Book Of Death storyline are largely not going to happen anymore, as they averted the crisis & stopped Master Darque by the end of it. This revelation about how the Book of the Geomancer works in Rapture #1 is just a really great explanation that confirms it.
So then what, exactly, is the Book of Geomancer? If it's not a book of prophecy, what is it? I don't need a special book to know that the future can unfold in a myriad of ways.

In this issue, it seems to be a guide book, like Zagat's Guide to Demons and Deadside Restaurant Reviews.

Also, I recall that Tama was reluctant to even touch the book in BoD because it filled her with visions of the future. Was that squared by the end or was that disposed of for this arc?

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

jmatt wrote:So then what, exactly, is the Book of Geomancer? If it's not a book of prophecy, what is it? I don't need a special book to know that the future can unfold in a myriad of ways.

In this issue, it seems to be a guide book, like Zagat's Guide to Demons and Deadside Restaurant Reviews.

Also, I recall that Tama was reluctant to even touch the book in BoD because it filled her with visions of the future. Was that squared by the end or was that disposed of for this arc?
Think of Back to the Future and Marty McFly's photograph that would change as events in the past were changed. Time was NOT absolute, and the more events were altered from the original timeline, the more the future of the ***NEW*** timeline became.

I suspect that the Book of Geomancer is exactly like that photograph, always shifting and changing as events are altered; however, due to the Geomancer's role and relationship with the earth, she is aware of these changes to the timeline and to reality.

She was reluctant to use the book because the future was terrifying (at that point) and unaltered prior to the end of BoD #4. Once those events concluded and the power balance was restored, the future (and the book) were both altered. Tama became more confident, and also more experienced with the book and her role.

Remember, prior to all this she was blasted through time in a box from 4001 (?) followed by life on the run with Gilad while under constant attack from the Valiant Universe as well as Master Darque and Co. Now, with all this behind her, her head is no longer spinning from the highly significant and chaotic events, and she is able to think and act more like who she really is.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
jmatt wrote:So then what, exactly, is the Book of Geomancer? If it's not a book of prophecy, what is it? I don't need a special book to know that the future can unfold in a myriad of ways.

Think of Back to the Future and Marty McFly's photograph that would change as events in the past were changed. Time was NOT absolute, and the more events were altered from the original timeline, the more the future of the ***NEW*** timeline became.

I suspect that the Book of Geomancer is exactly like that photograph, always shifting and changing as events are altered; however, due to the Geomancer's role and relationship with the earth, she is aware of these changes to the timeline and to reality.

She was reluctant to use the book because the future was terrifying (at that point) and unaltered prior to the end of BoD #4. Once those events concluded and the power balance was restored, the future (and the book) were both altered. Tama became more confident, and also more experienced with the book and her role.

Remember, prior to all this she was blasted through time in a box from 4001 (?) followed by life on the run with Gilad while under constant attack from the Valiant Universe as well as Master Darque and Co. Now, with all this behind her, her head is no longer spinning from the highly significant and chaotic events, and she is able to think and act more like who she really is.
Great summation, DBS.

I wonder about the actual copy of the book. It's presumably the same copy that was in the box she travelled into the past with. If I'm reading you right, DBS, that book, already having experienced the true events of what would be history from Tama's standpoint (aka the future to everyone living in the here and now), was having a screwier Back to the Future situation where both Tama and David are the Geomancers at the same time, kinda. Call it Schrödinger's Book. Until BoD was resolved, Bothell Tama and David have the Geomancers power, and the events recorded in the book are a combination of two possible futures combined - the regular events and the events of Darque conquering this reality and the Deadside. Hence, some events seen in the Book of Death mini may still come to pass, just not in the context presumed in BoD.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Keith wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

Great summation, DBS.

I wonder about the actual copy of the book. It's presumably the same copy that was in the box she travelled into the past with. If I'm reading you right, DBS, that book, already having experienced the true events of what would be history from Tama's standpoint (aka the future to everyone living in the here and now), was having a screwier Back to the Future situation where both Tama and David are the Geomancers at the same time, kinda. Call it Schrödinger's Book. Until BoD was resolved, Bothell Tama and David have the Geomancers power, and the events recorded in the book are a combination of two possible futures combined - the regular events and the events of Darque conquering this reality and the Deadside. Hence, some events seen in the Book of Death mini may still come to pass, just not in the context presumed in BoD.
100% correct.

Even more, the Ivar, Timewalker "bubble issue" demonstrated infinite timelines and realities within the VU. I have Pere Perez's original DPS artwork depicting this framed and hanging in my art gallery right now.

So, there IS a timeline where Tama is dead.

There IS a timeline where Tama is NOT.

There is a timeline that we read now that follows the events that we saw in BoD.

There is a timeline that we do NOT read now that followed a very different series of events than what we saw in BoD.

and...

"The Fall of ..." books are still 100% in play.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Think of Back to the Future and Marty McFly's photograph that would change as events in the past were changed. Time was NOT absolute, and the more events were altered from the original timeline, the more the future of the ***NEW*** timeline became.
Yeah, that's kind of how I'm imagining it to be, where the future is amorphous and unfolding based on present actions. But that's everyone's view of the future.

I guess my point was that it's really not a rigid prophecy.

But as you say, a geomancer has a special connection to the book so perhaps they are able to see the connections between cause and effect with more clarity.

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

seems like a very interesting epic that even new readers can jump onto. I have never read shadowman before but he seems interesting.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Shadowman is kind of a work-in-progress. He's careened in a few different directions under VEI and they're trying to find his groove. I think they're homing in on it.

Brapbrap
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

yeah fall of is obviously canon, bloodshot 4001 follows right on from fall of bloodshot and seems like hes even going to be in salvation so its 100% still the canon future

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this, all the way. Liked Rex and Amy (I loved this bit, actually) and the whole Magic/Fantasy quest vibe. Great stuff!
Best book from Valiant in May, imho. :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Just pre-ordered the trade. Looking forward to reading this :thumb:

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

ShadowTuga wrote:I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this, all the way. Liked Rex and Amy (I loved this bit, actually) and the whole Magic/Fantasy quest vibe. Great stuff!
Best book from Valiant in May, imho. :thumb:
Poor Amy!