XO Manowar [2017] #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
XO Manowar [2017] #3 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Rapture #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr118/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Re: XO Manowar [2017] #3 Discussion

Post by Brapbrap »

another sketchy issue tbh, kindt is trying to cram in too much too fast and ends up not giving the big moments the gravitas they need as well as glossing over important plot points to fit his story into the page count. this series feels like a wikipedia plot synopsis of a good story rather than an actual good story so far.

Gafti
Account inactive by user's request
Valiant fan since: March 2017
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Cafu +All of them are amazing

Post by Gafti »

Brapbrap wrote:another sketchy issue tbh, kindt is trying to cram in too much too fast and ends up not giving the big moments the gravitas they need as well as glossing over important plot points to fit his story into the page count. this series feels like a wikipedia plot synopsis of a good story rather than an actual good story so far.
I could not disagree more. Another amazing issue.
What was glossed over? Legit question.
Aric hasn't even put on the armor yet, and we are on issue #4!
If anything, I'd call that more of a slow build, than a rushed wiki/Cliff's Notes job. I am loving this story. Matt Kindt is crushing it, and Giorello is doing next level art work. Not sure what more you could want.
Another 5 out of 5 "begin the bombardment" taimos for me.
Stay Valiant

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Brapbrap wrote:another sketchy issue tbh, kindt is trying to cram in too much too fast and ends up not giving the big moments the gravitas they need as well as glossing over important plot points to fit his story into the page count. this series feels like a wikipedia plot synopsis of a good story rather than an actual good story so far.
Gotta agree with Gafti on this one, this issue didn't feel like it was missing much at all. The pace was supposed to be hectic, they were trapped and needed to escape.

My problem lies with the inner communication between characters. We all know Aric houses great leadership skills, yet not once did I hear him correct the whining and crying in this issue. On more than one occasion (and not from the Lieutenant), the team cried out that they were doomed and done for, that the forces were too overwhelming. Just once (and quickly I might add), I would have loved to hear Aric snap at them telling them that he demanded their best to give him just a few minutes so they could get the skiff to them. I would have settled for a quick speech with him telling them to shut it, and fight harder, work better as a team, something.

Leadership demands great followership, and great followership helps makes great leaders. Their claim of loyalty at the end of the book would have been cemented a little more for me with just that little bit. Now, it seems like they will follow him, until it gets rough. Then they will whine for something better.

Hey, maybe I'm off on this. I could be wrong too.
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

This new run of xo has been good to me :o no complaints what so ever. The art is top notch, the wrighting is going fine for me. I'm still waiting to see some tail from thease aliens because warmother #1 didn't show tail.
other than that this is a great Valiant ingoing I can be proud of to have nicely organised with all my xo books in a complete series.
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I thought it was another great issue. So far, it's been an action packed roller coaster.

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

Bums me out that they're taking Giorello off X-O for this next arc. I hope the quality doesn't suffer. Those first 3 issues are some of the best comics art that I've ever seen.
Stay Valiant

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Gafti wrote:Bums me out that they're taking Giorello off X-O for this next arc. I hope the quality doesn't suffer. Those first 3 issues are some of the best comics art that I've ever seen.
I thought the first Arc was 5 comics long.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

http://delarroz.com/?p=1022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my review.

I thought this issue was about perfect. As for cramming too much in -- I'd actually like to see a lot more of this in comics. What's great about the old books is that they offered a lot more content per issue than current books do. Most books have an issue one that introduces us to a hero, we have a cinematic several pages of him getting up stretching and brushing his teeth then he steps outside the door and it says TO BE CONTINUED. This and the recent Eternal Warrior one shot really are high on the applause meter for me of ending what I consider lazy writing for the form. What's amazing is there is so much worldbuilding and depth there disguised in wall-to-wall action, and that's why this book is so strong in a nutshell.

I just hope, like has been mentioned already, the next arc which I see doesn't have Giorello is of equal quality. This art is too good and I hope it's just a "he needs to catch up and take a break" and not he's off the book.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

nonplayer wrote:
Gafti wrote:Bums me out that they're taking Giorello off X-O for this next arc. I hope the quality doesn't suffer. Those first 3 issues are some of the best comics art that I've ever seen.
The General arc starts with issue #4.
http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-24/exclusi ... ign=buffer
Stay Valiant

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Gafti wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
I could absolutely have gone for more issues by Giorello. He's defined this whole volume of XO right out of the gate. Such as strong Heavy Metal magazine/Euro sci-fi feel to it because of him. Would have been great to do something like the RAI series did just to keep him on it for the full story.

Having said that, they are still putting some top talent on the title - I think Mico Suayan is coming up after Doug Braithwaite takes a turn. :thumb:

And yeah, I think the first 3 or 4 story arcs are all just 3-parts each.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
Gafti wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
I could absolutely have gone for more issues by Giorello. He's defined this whole volume of XO right out of the gate. Such as strong Heavy Metal magazine/Euro sci-fi feel to it because of him. Would have been great to do something like the RAI series did just to keep him on it for the full story.

Having said that, they are still putting some top talent on the title - I think Mico Suayan is coming up after Doug Braithwaite takes a turn. :thumb:

And yeah, I think the first 3 or 4 story arcs are all just 3-parts each.
Just read that article Gafti posted - looks like it's Crain after Doug, then Mico for just one issue :/ ... but Ryan Bodenheim is in for #11, he's also amazing!

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

It has probably been suggested before, but I think this issue pretty well confirms that we are going to see at least one of the alien species on Gorin end up on earth in the future... all the details about their tech & culture revealed here sound awfully similar to the people & tech we saw in the War Mother 4001AD one-shot. Very cool!!

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:It has probably been suggested before, but I think this issue pretty well confirms that we are going to see at least one of the alien species on Gorin end up on earth in the future... all the details about their tech & culture revealed here sound awfully similar to the people & tech we saw in the War Mother 4001AD one-shot. Very cool!!
I was listening to your conversation on your podcast this AM, fantastic connection!
Moose

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Gotta agree with Gafti on this one, this issue didn't feel like it was missing much at all. The pace was supposed to be hectic, they were trapped and needed to escape.

My problem lies with the inner communication between characters. We all know Aric houses great leadership skills, yet not once did I hear him correct the whining and crying in this issue. On more than one occasion (and not from the Lieutenant), the team cried out that they were doomed and done for, that the forces were too overwhelming. Just once (and quickly I might add), I would have loved to hear Aric snap at them telling them that he demanded their best to give him just a few minutes so they could get the skiff to them. I would have settled for a quick speech with him telling them to shut it, and fight harder, work better as a team, something.

Leadership demands great followership, and great followership helps makes great leaders. Their claim of loyalty at the end of the book would have been cemented a little more for me with just that little bit. Now, it seems like they will follow him, until it gets rough. Then they will whine for something better.

Hey, maybe I'm off on this. I could be wrong too.
I thought he did a solid job of simply leading by example & taking charge of the group to keep them alive. The scenario they were in was a pretty fast paced & dangerous situation - it was all instinctive reaction on his part to just focus on survival and their goal of capturing the Cad Prez. He definitely cared about them a great deal, by trying so hard to keep them alive.

Tele-Viper
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite artist: Cafu

Post by Tele-Viper »

You should check out his work on the King Conan mini-series over at Dark Horse, phenomenal stuff!

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

More on the art: How about the look of the Cadmium president's shuttle with the classic car style grill? For me, details like that really make the difference between a good issue and a great one.
Stay Valiant

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Did anyone notice the weird water color art at the beginning? The president depicted in that portion of the book looked like
Nuro in Britannia. Or Britannia ish. Could there be a connection?

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Gafti wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
Well that's to bad. I love the idea of fully contained stories in one issue. But I also really like anything that gets out of the norm 4 parters

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:Did anyone notice the weird water color art at the beginning? The president depicted in that portion of the book looked like
If you look closely, they are dressed very Roman too. These scenes seem to come from the psyche of Aric, that's what he probably pictures when he thinks about that stuff
Moose

Gafti

Post by Gafti »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
nonplayer wrote:Did anyone notice the weird water color art at the beginning? The president depicted in that portion of the book looked like
If you look closely, they are dressed very Roman too. These scenes seem to come from the psyche of Aric, that's what he probably pictures when he thinks about that stuff
Oh wow. That's really 2 interesting takes by you both. Never thought about it like that.
The scissor hands slaves were a trip as well.
Stay Valiant

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Gafti wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Oh wow. That's really 2 interesting takes by you both. Never thought about it like that.
The scissor hands slaves were a trip as well.
Any universe connections are great and we all look for them. And hoe for them.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I saw the grill as well. The president's car was all chromed out! :lol:

And I also thought there were a few panels that had a War Mother vibe. I should listen to the VCR podcast.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:It has probably been suggested before, but I think this issue pretty well confirms that we are going to see at least one of the alien species on Gorin end up on earth in the future... all the details about their tech & culture revealed here sound awfully similar to the people & tech we saw in the War Mother 4001AD one-shot. Very cool!!
I was listening to your conversation on your podcast this AM, fantastic connection!
Thanks man! :high-five:

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Thanks man! :high-five:
It sounds odd, but it gets me through my warm-up/stretching portion of my workout (roughly 45 minutes), sometimes it'll last into a portion of my cardio. Takes my mind off the pain in my body, so I appreciate you guys!
Moose