Bloodshot's Day Off

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Bloodshot's Day Off

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

My review for anyone interested: http://comicsthegathering.com/review/th ... hots-day-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VCR's review: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr124/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Bloodshot's Day Off

Post by grendeljd »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:My review for anyone interested: http://comicsthegathering.com/review/th ... hots-day-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VCR's review: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr124/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You did my job for me! :lol: :high-five:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Sorry to steal your thunder, Shakes. I must say, I'm curious what the Canadians thought about the issue...

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:Sorry to steal your thunder, Shakes. I must say, I'm curious what the Canadians thought about the issue...
Have you listened in yet? Sad to say, there were no Canadians involved in the making of VCR this week, unless Chris snuck in at the eleventh hour...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I did listen to the episode and enjoyed hearing from the Future Mrs. Genius. But was just curious about what the rest of the VCR crew thought.

I really enjoyed the backstory we got for these characters, but I have to admit I have problems reconciling this story with Bloodshot Reborn 0. Also, I'm not sure if promoting this story as Bloodshot's Day Off was really representative of the tone of the story.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Canadian chirping in.
It was OK. 2.25 out of 5
I really don't like one shots.
The art was good the story was OK.i think if I were a military guy this might be a stronger issue for me. But because I'm not it didn't really jive. I do like how it's tied into fourth of July I think it hit on that Mark.

What about the rest of the blood squad?
I think a four part mini going into the back stories of each squad member would have been better than this.
It felt like filler to fill a void between bloodshot ongoing entertimos.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Coming from a military man's prospective, I guess I enjoyed it a little more than the OTV crew.

All of the military branches are usually at each others throats, very competitive. We also talk mad crap to each other, routinely. Army and Air Force go rounds, Marines and Army, Navy and Marines are a little closer, but they still go rounds, etc. Like the beginning of the book, we don't want to spend any more time with each other than we absolutely have to.

Going on leave (our day's off) is tough, just like in the book. For many of us, it seems like home hasn't moved forward. The people you used to call friends, haven't evolved like you have. While a troop might think that things have changed at home, they haven't. The problem is you (the military person) has changed, and gotten better, or become a better, more independent person. This does cause minor depressions as people struggle to find themselves (depicted quite well in the book, I might add).

It isn't until later, when we are back amongst the people we have served with, that we start to realize just who we all are, and how we all fit into the world.

I work with a few fellow service members, and while we chirp at each other regarding our different branches, other people just don't get us. We are a different breed, we talk different, act different, but we hold each other to a much higher standard because of the way we chose to live. My co-worker and I are rough on each other, and it makes others kind of cringe. They often think we are fighting or that we don't get along at all, when we get along better than anyone else in the building.

Sure, we aren't the most pleasant, sure we can be real a-holes to each other and to others that aren't like us, but at the end of the day, just like in war, all we have is each other.
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

BTW, your Shadowman and your BS day off episodes got me through my entire workout today, thanks!
Moose

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:BTW, your Shadowman and your BS day off episodes got me through my entire workout today, thanks!
Heck yeah! Glad to help.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

"Bloodshot’s Day Off #1 is the heartfelt story of two Soldiers returning home after spending a lifetime at war. It touches on a what many soldiers leave behind, and are often unable to return to; however, it also provides a sense of hope, and of the camaraderie that exists between all who have answered their nation’s call to arms."

http://all-comic.com/2017/bloodshots-day-off-1/

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Coming from a military man's prospective, I guess I enjoyed it a little more than the OTV crew.

All of the military branches are usually at each others throats, very competitive. We also talk mad crap to each other, routinely. Army and Air Force go rounds, Marines and Army, Navy and Marines are a little closer, but they still go rounds, etc. Like the beginning of the book, we don't want to spend any more time with each other than we absolutely have to.

Going on leave (our day's off) is tough, just like in the book. For many of us, it seems like home hasn't moved forward. The people you used to call friends, haven't evolved like you have. While a troop might think that things have changed at home, they haven't. The problem is you (the military person) has changed, and gotten better, or become a better, more independent person. This does cause minor depressions as people struggle to find themselves (depicted quite well in the book, I might add).

It isn't until later, when we are back amongst the people we have served with, that we start to realize just who we all are, and how we all fit into the world.

I work with a few fellow service members, and while we chirp at each other regarding our different branches, other people just don't get us. We are a different breed, we talk different, act different, but we hold each other to a much higher standard because of the way we chose to live. My co-worker and I are rough on each other, and it makes others kind of cringe. They often think we are fighting or that we don't get along at all, when we get along better than anyone else in the building.

Sure, we aren't the most pleasant, sure we can be real a-holes to each other and to others that aren't like us, but at the end of the day, just like in war, all we have is each other.
+1 to all of your solid observations - while I'm not in the military, and don't endanger my life for a living (well, not quite as directly - I work as an industrial electrician in a massive steel factory so there is a risk attached around live high voltage equipment), I can relate to a lot of the sentiment you expressed in regards to being part of a group of people whose life experiences make it difficult to relate to others who don't have life altering experiences.

I thought this was a well crafted story, even if calling it Bloodshots Day Off may have set up certain expectations for a tone that wasn't present in the story (I generally don't think badly of something just strictly based on it not meeting my personal expectations). Taking it for what it was, I liked reading a backstory for the two versions of Bloodshot we saw, particularly Tank man, as he is as far removed from modern culture as Captain America is.

I also enjoyed the art - I'm a fan of Khari's style, especially when there isn't a heavy use of dropped in Photoshop backgrounds.

Not sure what the continuity conflict is that greatmagnet spotted, I might have to re-read the zero book as well to catch it... was there specifically a Project Rising Spirit organization as far back as the 40's? Or were they something else at the time that became PRS later?

All in all, I'd give it a 3.25/5 "Memories are a funny thing, everyone has different 'taimo's"

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:My review for anyone interested: http://comicsthegathering.com/review/th ... hots-day-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just read your review (good stuff, man!), and yeah - now that you mention that it does seem like quite a gaff in continuity.

It's possible you could explain this leave of absence as something that occurred before they cut the guys loose in BS:RB #0, but there is still the matter of lost memories that is typical of most Bloodshot incarnations. That's a tough one. I should still re-read that zero issue for myself before saying much more on the subject.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Not a military person at all... but a huge fan of Bloodshot and the Squad nonetheless. :lol:

Nice one-shot and back stories, very well written by Eliot Rahal again. :thumb:

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I thought this was a very good issue. Exactly what the issue title describes, although not what many of us may have assumed. I really enjoyed it and hope Rahal is given more opportunity to write for Valiant.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Sunlight on Snow

jeremycoe wrote:I thought this was a very good issue. Exactly what the issue title describes, although not what many of us may have assumed. I really enjoyed it and hope Rahal is given more opportunity to write for Valiant.
Yes, please!

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:I also enjoyed the art - I'm a fan of Khari's style...
The art was the worst part of the book for me. I kept thinking "My eyes! My eyes!!!". Evans doesn't do it for me and he was more Evansy than ever in this issue.

Overall, I enjoyed the issue. Wasn't what I was expecting and that's a good thing.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Though this was just 'ok'. I'm interest in Rahal doing more writing for Valiant as his effort in the A&A one shot was decent. One shots are not easy to do do I don't want to be too harsh but anything nazi relate so boring and over done!

3/5 - readable

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

This was a delightful one shot. I liked getting the backstory on Tank and Viet Man. I'm holding out that somehow Cold Man will return to us. After all, continual resurrection was part of their initial schtick so I hold out hope.

Sunlight on Snow

Captain Craig wrote:This was a delightful one shot. I liked getting the backstory on Tank and Viet Man. I'm holding out that somehow Cold Man will return to us. After all, continual resurrection was part of their initial schtick so I hold out hope.
Cold Man is still alive.
Quiet Man died at the end of BS USA and he actually died from (nanite) overdose.

Deathmate > Ray > Quiet Man > the rest couldn't even absorb any nanites (Viet Man: "It's not working.")