Secret Weapons #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Secret Weapons #2

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

The pros' review: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr126/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and the rest!
http://www.comicsthegathering.com/revie ... -weapons-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Secret Weapons #2

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

What a fantastic second issue! Absolutely loved it.... and the wonderful Nikki!
Great review!

I think the whole family issue thing is emphasized by them sitting around a table that displays a Casablanca movie poster. I've yet to watch the movie but I believe it's about the choice between love/family and fighting for a cause (against Nazis). I also loved the short flashback and seeing them as young recruits of Harbinger Foundation and Owen embarrassing himself by conjuring a pink bra.

Owen. It's obvious that he's been in love with Nikki for quite some time (and to her he's just a very good friend). Some items may be based on what's on his mind (mostly Nikki) and every other item he conjures will come in handy later on... even the pink balloon. I didn't get the meaning of the wooden plaque with fish playing "Take Me to the River"? Who's song is it anyway?

Unfortunately we did not get to the glowing baseball bat guy in this issue. After the minor cliffhanger at the end of the first issue it would have been nice to see what's happened to him especially since we have Rex-O in this one. Kinda weird!

It's still an amazing second issue and story by Eric Heisserer. I did not expect him to be such a good story teller in the comic book medium but he surely is. Let's hope he will stay with Valiant and Harbinger for a long time. Heisserer is the new Dysart!

The art is... the artwork alone makes this an easy perfect ten. Raul Allen and Patricia Martin are the perfect addition to Eric Heisserer and they seem to be getting better and better whit each panel. There are so many wonderful moments in this one starting with Livewire going full matrix like, Nikki (and Owen) walking on the tracks, the many perspectives of the Casablanca movie poster, Nikki with angel wings and a blue wig over her pink her, Rex-O and the pink balloon. :lol:

Perfect issue from an amazing creative team.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: I didn't get the meaning of the wooden plaque with fish playing "Take Me to the River"? Who's song is it anyway?
Talking heads? That would be about right, as Eric would be a teen during the 80's, probably loves 80's music
Moose

WhoDoo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico

Post by WhoDoo »

TheeBaldMoose - Great question offline about who is CheapJack, and does he play a larger role.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

VEI better not be making me get interested in new Psiots just to kill them off in 2yrs for Harbinger Wars 3.
I have a feeling these rejects are going to learn to use their powers and grow them beyond what they even knew they could do.
Livewire was my draw into this book but I'm glad to say I'm curious about these "rejects" now as well.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Captain Craig wrote:VEI better not be making me get interested in new Psiots just to kill them off in 2yrs for Harbinger Wars 3.
I have a feeling these rejects are going to learn to use their powers and grow them beyond what they even knew they could do.
Livewire was my draw into this book but I'm glad to say I'm curious about these "rejects" now as well.
I'm beginning to think these new kids will be replacing the Gen Zero kids, maybe adding Animalia as a new Teen group...
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️-This Book Is Amazing!!!! Writing. Art. Colors. Everything is on point.... :thumb:

This should be an on-going title.... :clap:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:Unfortunately we did not get to the glowing baseball bat guy in this issue. After the minor cliffhanger at the end of the first issue it would have been nice to see what's happened to him especially since we have Rex-O in this one. Kinda weird!
That looked like Martin's head in the fridge. He also was the only one, that didn't have a character bio in this issue. Off panel death? His psiot ability, being what it was, all he could do is run, and Rex-O had him cornered... :?
#StayValiant

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote: I didn't get the meaning of the wooden plaque with fish playing "Take Me to the River"? Who's song is it anyway?
Talking heads? That would be about right, as Eric would be a teen during the 80's, probably loves 80's music
The original song was actually by Al Green. I assumed that ithe was included because it's kind of like a gospel song and Owenjoy was seriously injured.

He summons a pillow for comfort but doesn't use it. Also looks like a lawn mower, which I assume was due to the tall grass.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I enjoyed this issue. It felt like not much happened but progression of charaters was good. I jut hope it doesn't fall flat. Nothing *SQUEE* me off more than being led along for the ride to have it be a bust.
Like blue balls.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
The original song was actually by Al Green. I assumed that ithe was included because it's kind of like a gospel song and Owenjoy was seriously injured.

He summons a pillow for comfort but doesn't use it. Also looks like a lawn mower, which I assume was due to the tall grass.
At least they utilized the van. I get what you are referencing, it'll be fun piecing these together from now on.

The umbrella though... From book #1, it wasn't just for the ladder. Then why the shot gun at work?
Moose

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

At least they utilized the van. I get what you are referencing, it'll be fun piecing these together from now on.

The umbrella though... From book #1, it wasn't just for the ladder. Then why the shot gun at work?
The gun was to get him fired so he could leave work and get led to Nikki, who was in trouble.

Also the umbrella was used to stop rexo projectiles, I believe.

I could be way off base, but I was struck by the oddity of a balloon filled with hydrogen. That seems too specific to be a coincidence or accident.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Really good issue, a worthy follow up to Dysart's work.

Sunlight on Snow

agent_graves wrote:⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️-This Book Is Amazing!!!! Writing. Art. Colors. Everything is on point.... :thumb:

This should be an on-going title.... :clap:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:Unfortunately we did not get to the glowing baseball bat guy in this issue. After the minor cliffhanger at the end of the first issue it would have been nice to see what's happened to him especially since we have Rex-O in this one. Kinda weird!
That looked like Martin's head in the fridge. He also was the only one, that didn't have a character bio in this issue. Off panel death? His psiot ability, being what it was, all he could do is run, and Rex-O had him cornered... :?
Ooops. I did notice the head but didn't think much of it. Great observation! :thumb:

Sunlight on Snow

Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

The gun was to get him fired so he could leave work and get led to Nikki, who was in trouble.

I could be way off base, but I was struck by the oddity of a balloon filled with hydrogen. That seems too specific to be a coincidence or accident.
Good point! Especially since he's attached to Nikki.

Seems like all these items serve a purpose and none is random.

The fishy thing playing "take me to the river" - being a gospel song - makes perfect sense as he just mentioned "hospital's fine" and he may think he's going to die otherwise. I like it!

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:

The fishy thing playing "take me to the river" - being a gospel song - makes perfect sense as he just mentioned "hospital's fine" and he may think he's going to die otherwise. I like it!
So, you're saying these manifestations are subconscious with designs for futuristic needs/wants/desires?

Hydrogen balloon as a bomb to effect Rexo...
Pillow for comfort
lawn mower because the grass was too tall
Fish plaque because he thought he was going to die (these three had no futuristic twist in them though, they were current desires)
Van to get him to the hospital now (also a current need, nothing futuristic here)

Maybe, due to the injury, his psyot ability worked faster than it normally would on that last four. We have seen this in many movies, someone's abilities work overtime when injured/stressed/etc.

As far as the umbrella's, Rexo's projectiles went straight through it. It had to be a future need, as he used it (then left it) when he pulled down the ladder.

The Bra is a stumper. Obviously a future want, and it shows that he has feelings for her, yet in the time they have been together, he's never pulled another article of female clothing out. The bra incident was when he was younger (how much younger). Was it because of immaturity? If so, then he somehow has a little more control over his psyot ability now.
Moose

Sunlight on Snow

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote: Talking heads? That would be about right, as Eric would be a teen during the 80's, probably loves 80's music

So, you're saying these manifestations are subconscious with designs for futuristic needs/wants/desires?

Hydrogen balloon as a bomb to effect Rexo...
Pillow for comfort
lawn mower because the grass was too tall
Fish plaque because he thought he was going to die (these three had no futuristic twist in them though, they were current desires)
Van to get him to the hospital now (also a current need, nothing futuristic here)

Maybe, due to the injury, his psyot ability worked faster than it normally would on that last four. We have seen this in many movies, someone's abilities work overtime when injured/stressed/etc.

As far as the umbrella's, Rexo's projectiles went straight through it. It had to be a future need, as he used it (then left it) when he pulled down the ladder.

The Bra is a stumper. Obviously a future want, and it shows that he has feelings for her, yet in the time they have been together, he's never pulled another article of female clothing out. The bra incident was when he was younger (how much younger). Was it because of immaturity? If so, then he somehow has a little more control over his psyot ability now.
Yes... to all of it. :thumb:

Except for the van that seems to be remote controlled by Livewire.

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

My own theory is that Owen's real power is to send items to himself from the future, which is how he knows what he needs for events that have yet to unfold. Either that or, as Chris said, he can subconsciously see the future. But then both the precognition and conjuring powers would be effectively subliminal. I'm hoping there is a more active nature to it. :high-five:

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I still want to know more about Cheap Jack. I think we might see him again, especially with the panel regarding the purchases go towards his orphans "needing a new home". This has me thinking Gen Zero and Rook being destroyed. Maybe he is housing what is left of the children that were left in Rook? I wanna know this!

I now see where Livewire commanded the Van...
Moose

Sunlight on Snow

Thegreatmagnet wrote:My own theory is that Owen's real power is to send items to himself from the future, which is how he knows what he needs for events that have yet to unfold. Either that or, as Chris said, he can subconsciously see the future. But then both the precognition and conjuring powers would be effectively subliminal. I'm hoping there is a more active nature to it. :high-five:
If future-Owen is sending present day-Owen all these items then future-Owen is quite the funny guy.

Sunlight on Snow

TheeBaldMoose wrote:I still want to know more about Cheap Jack. I think we might see him again, especially with the panel regarding the purchases go towards his orphans "needing a new home". This has me thinking Gen Zero and Rook being destroyed. Maybe he is housing what is left of the children that were left in Rook? I wanna know this!

I now see where Livewire commanded the Van...
Perhaps Nikki was an orphan, too? She mentioned that she cried a lot when she was young. Maybe she lost her parents at a young age?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

In a twitter conversation with Eric, he stated Cheap Jacks items at the flee market are his orphans, so no go on my theory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

WhoDoo
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico

Post by WhoDoo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:In a twitter conversation with Eric, he stated Cheap Jacks items at the flee market are his orphans, so no go on my theory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Dang, that would have been a great twist.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I'm really enjoying this. :clap:

Sunlight on Snow

Thegreatmagnet wrote:The pros' review: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr126/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He really didn't get enough time to shine!" :lol:

Chris laughing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:The pros' review: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr126/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He really didn't get enough time to shine!" :lol:

Chris laughing... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for posting the link again here, g-magnet! I've been busy this week & am late getting to it. :high-five:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;