Divinity and Solar... we can state it clearly now...

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Divinity and Solar... we can state it clearly now...

Post by greg »

Following Abram's introduction, crossovers, three mini-series, and Divinity #0 we can state it clearly now...

Abram is the Opposite-Solar for the Valiant Universe

Using the term "Opposite-Solar", I'm saying that first he has to be like a type of Solar who shares many of the same traits... but particular characteristics (both major and minor) are the opposite.

Sames:
1) The primary character was human in an "experimental-science group project" before an unexpected never-before-seen event.
2) The event made the primary character a "god" who had to "return" to his home afterward.
3) A female co-worker was later revealed as a "god" herself from the same experiment.
4) The primary character chose to "wear a costume" related to what they were wearing in the experiment.
5) The form that the primary character takes is essentially an illusion and changes by his thoughts.
6) These "gods" can alter reality and call matter and even life into existence from nothing.
7) These "gods" chose to give some humans a gift as a demonstration of their power.
8) The co-worker sought to alter all of events in the Valiant universe by "resetting" things using their power.
9) The co-worker succeeded in altering their world as they saw fit for at least a hundred years.
10) Another co-worker is eventually revealed to be a truly evil "third" god, angered by one of the other two.
11) The primary character stopped the co-worker's plans with the help of other Valiant universe heroes.
12) The primary character set things back the way they were, with minor adjustments.
13) The female co-worker became pregnant with what can be called a "god-baby".
... (to be continued as the story progresses)

Opposites from the list above:
Alt-1) Humanity: Solar was a white American, Abram was a black Russian.
Alt-2) Event: Solar was an Earth event that sent him back in space and time. Abram was a space event that sent him forward in time to Earth.
Alt-3) Female Co-worker: Solar's co-worker turned out to be "evil". Abram's co-worker turned out to be "good".
Alt-4) Costume: Solar, red costume with black inverted radiation triangle on front. Abram, red costume with white inverted triangle on back.
Alt-5) Form: Solar chose to be seen and interact with others. Abram often chooses to be unseen and act without anyone's knowledge.
Alt-6) Reality: Solar first chose to recreate the entire universe. Abram first chose to impact only a small desolate area in Australia.
Alt-7) Gifts to others: Solar created gold for some friends in poverty. Abram gave people their deepest desire even if it had no value.
Alt-8) Co-worker plans: Solar's co-worker wanted to end everything. Abram's co-worker wanted everything and more than before.
Alt-9) Plan setting: Solar's co-worker crafted the plan outside reality. Abram's co-worker enacted the plan within reality.
Alt-10) Third god: Solar angered Fred Bender by taking away his power after Unity. The co-worker angered Kazmir by taking away his power before Stalinverse.
Alt-11) Hero help: Solar was helped by heroes he chose. Abram was helped by heroes he refused.
Alt-12) Setting it back: Solar stopped damage to reality, but Gilad said it was a little different. Abram had to undo all the damage done, Red Brigade remained.
Alt-13) God-baby: Solar did not allow the co-worker's "god-baby" to live. Abram loves his co-worker.

:atomic:

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Divinity and Solar... we can state it clearly now...

Post by greg »

Also an interesting thing to note... this Valiant universe is now over 5 years old. The original Valiant universe was only 5 years old when it ended.

Soon, Divinity will be the "primary god" of the "longest running Valiant universe" so it might become more "fair" to say that Solar of the 1990s was the Opposite-Divinity.

The "longest running Valiant universe" is the one we're now reading as it happens. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Great post, Greg :thumb: :atomic: :thumb:

As much as I enjoyed Dr Solar initially in the early days of VH1, I like the VEI Divinity version of a godlike character much more so, in as much as we have seen of him so far.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Very well done, a very complete comparison. :thumb:

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I am amazed sometimes at the stuff you come up with. This is a top quality post, with excellent breakdown.

Never had any love for Solar, but Divinity, that's my type of god, I'd have a beer with him!
Moose

WhoDoo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: XO 90's Zero issue
Favorite character: Pete
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: LaRosa and Mico

Post by WhoDoo »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hope we get some more Savage soon to give you some content to break him down as such.
:thumb:
greg wrote:Also an interesting thing to note... this Valiant universe is now over 5 years old. The original Valiant universe was only 5 years old when it ended.

Soon, Divinity will be the "primary god" of the "longest running Valiant universe" so it might become more "fair" to say that Solar of the 1990s was the Opposite-Divinity.

The "longest running Valiant universe" is the one we're now reading as it happens. :thumb:
Very Great Point!

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Great comparison and contrast.

Divinity has become my favorite Valiant character.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Big Red wrote:Great comparison and contrast.

Divinity has become my favorite Valiant character.
+ A Milli... :clap:
#StayValiant

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Awesome post, Greg :clap:

TripleH_0225
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by TripleH_0225 »

Excellent post! Gave me a buffet-worth of food for thought!