War Mother #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: War Mother #1 Discussion

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

nonplayer wrote:
FlipMega wrote:After reading through the responses here, I had to go back and read the 4001 one-shot again as well.

Moose is spot on regarding the personality/emotional intelligence of Flaco. In 4001 Ana specifically states that she always wipes his memory after each mission and so effectively he is learning everything for the first time, every time. Hence the coaching dialogue we see here. Definitely wanting more from Flaco as well, JMatt

I do love the idea of this character and this world, but I too feel like it is lacking some catch, some substance. I dont have a ton of FVL experience as I am not really attracted to A&A, but I agree with some of the detraction here. The dialogue is a little too kitchy at times and doesnt really pace well in this world (for me). Also agree it feels a little rushed a gappy. A lot of first issues suffer from this as the writer tries to get people up to speed quickly but this feels different. The 4001 issue has similar problems but its largely in the latter frames.

All said, I am intrigued and I want it to be good so I will read it until it isnt :)
If your a knight and go into battles and your wepon had to re learn how to swing and how to be sharp and you and your whepon get better and better. why would you wipe it each time.
I hope that's not the case.
Do you wipe your sons memory? if it's a mother son relationship there would be no wiping of memories.
Imagin if xo ManOwar suit had to re learn each time Aric put it on.
Based on current events in XO 2017 I bet Aric would be fine with wiping Shanhara's memory.

When Ana was still the scavenger of the Greenlings led by Sylvan she had to turn off Flaco after each mission (see 4001 AD WM one-shot). Now, she's the leader of the Grove people and doesn't have to follow orders anymore, and she decided to not wipe Flaco's memory anymore.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

Edit: oops wrong thread

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:I think flaco aims. I don't see Ana doing any aiming.
Unless I read it wrong, she comments on her amazing shot to Flaco. But yes, at one point she commands auto-fire and Flaco takes out the three pursuers closing in on her.

Unless the bullets are guided somehow, Flaco would have to orient his barrel at each of them. I suppose if it had some kind of internal gyroscopic device that could throw its mass around and reorient the direction its pointing, that's possible. But that would probably break her grip on the weapon.

Whatever. It's comics. :)

braddos
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by braddos »

Great first issue... I was able to pick up the variant and blank sketch covers from my LCS too... looking forward to seeing where this goes. I've been a huge Valiant fan since the first time I saw Valiant titles on the racks of my fav LCS in the 90s! Now I'm introducing my son to all my fav characters and he's loving them too.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Welcome to the board!

braddos
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by braddos »

Thanks! Love reading these posts, I've already learned alot! great spot!

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Baramos »

There's a real-life auto-aiming rifle that will only fire when the reticle is in the correct position on the target, so Flaco probably works similarly in "auto-aim" mode. The barrel could be wobbling all over the place but as long as it lines up with the Urbanites at any point in moving around it will fire at that point in time and hit them.

Anyway, I liked the book quite a bit, reminded me of playing Fallout for some reason despite the jungle setting. Flaco reminds me so much of a VATS Pip-Boy system, for one thing. Adds a lot of personality to the book.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I like that it reminds me a lot of Rogue Warrior.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

The Mono Men were an American garage punk band, based in Bellingham, Washington. Their sound contained elements of grunge, but the Mono Men filtered these through a mimicry of 1960s Washington proto-punk, garage rock bands such as The Sonics.
I Miss the good old days.