Faith and the Future Force #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Faith and the Future Force #2 Discussion

Post by pixierosa »

I liked it. I thought Neela was annoying as heck in Ivar, Timewalker, but here she's likeable. Kudos to Houser for accomplishing that for me. My favorite thing about this issue, other than those awesome panels of the gathered heroes, was how the Renegades related to each other as both friends and teammates. The Renegades titles is pretty grim stuff - this felt more at ease, and we got a couple of heartfelt moments as well as seeing them give each other crap. Felt like old times :)
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Faith and the Future Force #2

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

I wrote a review in case anyone is interested:

http://www.comicsthegathering.com/revie ... re-force-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Thegreatmagnet on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:47:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I'm still not sold on the story or villain, but I like the art, and the fact that continuity is intact.

Loved Faith's line about watching Wonder Woman again, lol
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

agent_graves wrote:I'm still not sold on the story or villain, but I like the art, and the fact that continuity is intact.

Loved Faith's line about watching Wonder Woman again, lol
This has been an enjoyable book, light hearted and fun. Curious to see what the end of the book brings
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Rapture #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr131/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Faith and the Future Force #2 Discussion

Post by pixierosa »

My review as well:
http://all-comic.com/2017/faith-future-force-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did everyone catch the subtle differences between issue one and two? Like the cats in the cafe? In issue one, they were real cats. Issue two, they're robotic.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

pixierosa wrote:My review as well:
http://all-comic.com/2017/faith-future-force-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did everyone catch the subtle differences between issue one and two? Like the cats in the cafe? In issue one, they were real cats. Issue two, they're robotic.
Yes, I bet the cafe scene is the key to solve the mystery. It's so Back in the Future-like. Future-Neela passing on a message to past-Neela so she (future-Neela) would know what to do later on. The question is when exactly is the cafe scene? Faith didn't know who Hitler is/was at the very beginning of FFF (#1). Past-Neela and mysterious cat lady, however, still know about Hitler and even know he was killed (before #1) but shouldn't have. In issue #2 they are still aware of the Civil War and that someone removed it from history (in issue #1). It's also interesting that the couple in the background of the cafe scene seems to be the same but the cafe itself and the waiter have already changed, as have the cats obviously.

Lots of other weird stuff going on.... future Shadow Woman being part of the team. New Japan still being a thing. Neela knowing about Gilad's favorite fast food (in Ivar Timewalker it was Ivar who visited Gilad in that cave, not Neela). We don't know Evil Robot's motivation but whatever he's doing it's already changing the future.... and the only constant seems to be past-Neela and the cat lady in that cafe. While everything around them is changing they're still wearing the same clothes. And what's up with the guy sitting behind Neela? He's acting surprised when Neela is talking about the violation of time travel. :o In issue #1 it looks like he could be Ivar (before he had ever met Neela) but in issue #2 he looks slightly different, and not much like Ivar anymore so he's probably not. :?

Mysterious cat lady? Anyone else think she looks kinda familiar? Well, I had to read the 2 issues a couple of times before figuring it out (without figuring it out). When Faith first meets Ank outside of Zipline Ank looks just like the cat lady which is really odd. Of course, the Zelig ship lets a fellow time traveler blend in trying not to raise suspicion and it never really seems to work that well (especially in case of Ank because of her size). Anyhow, how come Ank looks like the cat lady to Faith? Or, is the cat lady in the cafe scene really a cat lady, or another time traveler in disguise? :?

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Regarding 4001 Shadowman, I think she is in there because Jody Houser co-created that character.

Regarding the "cat lady" I think youre referring to Ankle who is using a zelig chip. Faith didn't see through Ank's zelig chip in issue 1 because she doesn't expect to see dinosaur people walking around in real life.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
pixierosa wrote:My review as well:

Yes, I bet the cafe scene is the key to solve the mystery. It's so Back in the Future-like. Future-Neela passing on a message to past-Neela so she (future-Neela) would know what to do later on. The question is when exactly is the cafe scene? Faith didn't know who Hitler is/was at the very beginning of FFF (#1). Past-Neela and mysterious cat lady, however, still know about Hitler and even know he was killed (before #1) but shouldn't have. In issue #2 they are still aware of the Civil War and that someone removed it from history (in issue #1). It's also interesting that the couple in the background of the cafe scene seems to be the same but the cafe itself and the waiter have already changed, as have the cats obviously.

Lots of other weird stuff going on.... future Shadow Woman being part of the team. New Japan still being a thing. Neela knowing about Gilad's favorite fast food (in Ivar Timewalker it was Ivar who visited Gilad in that cave, not Neela). We don't know Evil Robot's motivation but whatever he's doing it's already changing the future.... and the only constant seems to be past-Neela and the cat lady in that cafe. While everything around them is changing they're still wearing the same clothes. And what's up with the guy sitting behind Neela? He's acting surprised when Neela is talking about the violation of time travel. :o In issue #1 it looks like he could be Ivar (before he had ever met Neela) but in issue #2 he looks slightly different, and not much like Ivar anymore so he's probably not. :?

Mysterious cat lady? Anyone else think she looks kinda familiar? Well, I had to read the 2 issues a couple of times before figuring it out (without figuring it out). When Faith first meets Ank outside of Zipline Ank looks just like the cat lady which is really odd. Of course, the Zelig ship lets a fellow time traveler blend in trying not to raise suspicion and it never really seems to work that well (especially in case of Ank because of her size). Anyhow, how come Ank looks like the cat lady to Faith? Or, is the cat lady in the cafe scene really a cat lady, or another time traveler in disguise? :?
Man-O-Man, great sleuthing here! I'm thinking you're right about past Neela being the key to this all, and I would guess that cat lady is Ank as well. Now, I'm gonna go back and look at these books differently. Betting each time Neela goes back to get Faith, something is different there too! Ah, the subtle little changes!
Moose

Sunlight on Snow

Thegreatmagnet wrote:Regarding 4001 Shadowman, I think she is in there because Jody Houser co-created that character.

Regarding the "cat lady" I think youre referring to Ankle who is using a zelig chip. Faith didn't see through Ank's zelig chip in issue 1 because she doesn't expect to see dinosaur people walking around in real life.
Oh, yes of course, now I get it. The cafe scene is shortly before they actually go and meet Faith. facepalm

It's a little confusing because Cat Lady-Ank seems much smaller when sitting in the cafe than when she's meeting Faith in the streets.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

Who was the guy in the suit they recruited?

I like that Shadowwoman appears to be a giant. I wonder who's idea it was to get her and Rai?

Sunlight on Snow

tell wrote:Who was the guy in the suit they recruited?

I like that Shadowwoman appears to be a giant. I wonder who's idea it was to get her and Rai?
Looks like Neville Alcott (MI-6)

Rai - Gilad or Neela
Shadow Woman - Gilad or Rai

tell

Post by tell »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
tell wrote:Who was the guy in the suit they recruited?
Looks like Neville Alcott (MI-6)
I thought it was Neville too, but I couldn't think of any reason he would be in a fight, he doesn't go on missions he just doles them out...
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
tell wrote:I like that Shadowwoman appears to be a giant. I wonder who's idea it was to get her and Rai?
Rai - Gilad or Neela
Shadow Woman - Gilad or Rai
I don't think it could be Gilad unless the art is a goof, he looks too young to know Rai yet. For favorite to be fast food it has to be later than modern times, but way before the Eternal Emperor era. He is in a cave just like in the post-apocalyptic 9999 timeline, but I guess that could be after New Japan launched and *SQUEE* up the Earth.

Maybe Neela knows Rai, I don't remember her meeting him in Timewalker, but I'll give a time traveler the benefit of the doubt.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Not a fan of this series so far :|

Can't get past the ridiculous robot design, looks like plug socket! Also, having the Renegades back like nothing's happened without much development of the team in Harbinger Renegade seems weird.

Hats that the team up of all the various characters is once again (ala Valiant #3) just thrown together. There's no sense of any connection with many of the characters as their interactions have never been fleshed out (aside from Q&W with A&A and Unity). For example, Rai is from the future and now he's just there alongside (modern day) XO, Dr Mirage etc and there's no detail of how the characters respond to each other or how they even know they're on the same side! :? It's apparently their pivotal 'first meeting' and it's all such a 'throwaway moment! :!:

Let's all sign a form and agree this series (and the Valiant #3) isn't canon and didn't happen :high-five:

2.5/5

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Let's all sign a form and agree this series (and the Valiant #3) isn't canon and didn't happen :high-five:
the events of this issue may not have happened by the end of the story anyway.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

mateo107 wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Let's all sign a form and agree this series (and the Valiant #3) isn't canon and didn't happen :high-five:
the events of this issue may not have happened by the end of the story anyway.
We can only hope :hope: :P

Thegreatmagnet

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not a fan of this series so far :|

Can't get past the ridiculous robot design, looks like plug socket! Also, having the Renegades back like nothing's happened without much development of the team in Harbinger Renegade seems weird.

Hats that the team up of all the various characters is once again (ala Valiant #3) just thrown together. There's no sense of any connection with many of the characters as their interactions have never been fleshed out (aside from Q&W with A&A and Unity). For example, Rai is from the future and now he's just there alongside (modern day) XO, Dr Mirage etc and there's no detail of how the characters respond to each other or how they even know they're on the same side! :? It's apparently their pivotal 'first meeting' and it's all such a 'throwaway moment! :!:

Let's all sign a form and agree this series (and the Valiant #3) isn't canon and didn't happen :high-five:

2.5/5
As far as the pivotal first meetings, my theory is that when the story resolves, most of the characters will not remember the events of their meeting. So that could lower the stakes a bit on the first meetings. Just a crazy theory...