Harbinger Renegade #7

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Harbinger Renegade #7

Post by jmatt »

I'm sorry. Was I snoring?

tevans333
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Harbinger Renegade #7

Post by tevans333 »

jmatt wrote:I'm sorry. Was I snoring?
Agreed, and the art was below standard I thought.

Harby has been my favorite book since I was a kid. The 2012 relaunch couldn't have been better. But now, this, ugh.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I love Animalia (feisty little thing) so her prominent role in this issue was welcomed. I enjoyed #5 & #7 more than #1-4. That's not saying much, but it is what it is, this is the creative team we got.... :thumb:

:rant: I wish they stop drawing Monica like she's six or something, she's twelve, she should be much taller than that, at least to Jay's shoulder.:?
#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr132/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

While not the level of intensity of issue #5, I didn't mind the slower pace and overall sense of mourning in this issue. Nice touch to see Animalia reach out to Telic's mother.

I just wish there hadn't been the issue #6 interruption. I think that issue should have been place before or maybe after the Massacre arc. Or maybe it could have been its own Stormbringer #0 issue like we saw for Commander Trill. Also would have liked to have seen the moments where the Renegades actually found out about Gen Zero. Not to play Monday Morning Quarterback, but I feel we lost something with those two points.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Did Rafer forget how the first arc and issue #4 had ended? Wouldn't this issue be the perfect time to talk about Jay's ability? Even if he hadn't discovered it yet it should have been mentioned. While reading this issue I couldn't help but think he hadn't even been activated. At the end, Kris is talking about taking care of latent psiots who'd like to be activated.... what about Carolyn?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

It also seems to be easier for Animalia to get away in a Humvee than as a bird. Where did the helicopters go? Heck, if there was a need to have Animalia kill 2 more guys then they should have let her do a bird-to-Cthulhu transformation in midair and rip the helicopters! It would have been more realistic.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

What got me was Animalia got shot out of the air. So was it a bullet probably not since it made her transform 300 feet obove the earth. It must have been a spyoit inhibitor round so Animalia fell 300+ feet to the ground we are to asume since it time jumped and she's sneeking around on the ground. I find the lay out of the story choppy like separate segments. Here is torqs freak out. Here is the mother scene. Here is this. Seemed set up and forced scene. I don't like Raffer and want Dysart back I'm actuelly full heartedly thinking of dropping this title it's to bad because it's supposed to setting up for Harbinger Wars 2 but it's so not good and I'm not feeling it. I'm going to give it one more issue and if it's still sour in my mind It's gonezo.
I read the walking dead yesterday. It was captivating, interesting, funny, impactful. Introduced a new charater with out selling its self as a big deal. I have been so disappointed in Valiants comics lately and I'm so looking forward to Divinity and bloodshot as I'm hoping the new titles will fill the void.
I Miss the good old days.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tevans333 wrote:Agreed, and the art was below standard I thought.

Harby has been my favorite book since I was a kid. The 2012 relaunch couldn't have been better. But now, this, ugh.
I don't like to post negatively about other people's work, but this is a commercial product and VEI needs honest feedback. I can't stand Robertson's artwork. If I picked this off a shelf and thumbed through it, I would never consider purchasing it.
nonplayer wrote: I find the lay out of the story choppy like separate segments. Here is torqs freak out. Here is the mother scene. Here is this. Seemed set up and forced scene. I don't like Raffer and want Dysart back...
I felt the same way. I can't say how I'd actually improve it but I'm not a writer and that's not my job. But yeah. Choppy. Not a Rafer fan.

If you're only gonna put out six or seven books a month, then they should be top notch across the board.

Manaf82
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2010
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Manaf82 »

This was just boring.I believe Rafer was instructed to write a book to bring Renegades from the end of Harbinger to Harbinger Wars 2 by the editorial.So that is what basically this book is..A Wikipedia entry expanded to like 10 issues..

I wasn't a fan of the VH1 Valiant,but after reading the VEI Harbinger,it became my favorite book of the Valiant books..Rafer is an average writer,probably a good person,but an average writer as far as his Valiant work is considered..Also was the editorial on drugs to think that people would consider this couple of issues as good..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel my "SQUEEING SQUEE"

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

This was an 'ok' acceptable read but it's bizarre how editorial decided to take a break after issue 4, then massively hype issue 5 then do a flashback issue 6 then back to this? Issue 5 was underwhelming so this issue didn't have big shoes to fill.

Art is not to my taste. Pete has find from having a full on ZZ Top beard to looking like a 12 year in some panels. Again, editorial need to take responsibility for this and make necessary changes to try and resurrect this series from the doldrums. I think a change of art would go a long way.

3/5 - readable but not memorable

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Pete has find from having a full on ZZ Top beard to looking like a 12 year in some panels.
QFT