Ninjak #0 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Ninjak #0 Discussion

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Here's the VCR episode for anyone that's interested: http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr133/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also did a joint review with another blogger: http://www.comicsthegathering.com/revie ... 3/ninjak-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Ninjak #0 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Great review, guys!

Enjoyed this book, as I really think there is more to the dead birds portion of this book than you guys let on. The psychology behind what he was doing is much, much greater, the control he desires is greater. He kills the birds, like he kills his foes, because he wants his world to be in his image. Nothing screams Sociopath louder than both of these actions. The killing of birds, and the killing of his foes are one and the same, to him. In his own fashion, he is anti-social and lacks a certain conscience when it revolves around life. He also tends to feel very little remorse or guilt regarding life up until he meets Angelina. I've always been curious about the psychology of sociopaths/serial killers.

I think his voyage to meet the Undead Monk helped him/touched him more than he realizes. Could have opened and closed all of his compartments, releasing them, making him see who and what he really was. Basically, eliminating the growing sociopath inside of him. All this happens before issue #5, like you guys said, and now we have the Colin King/Ninak we have all grown to love.

Regardless of what he says/does, he will always love Angelina/Roku. And, in the end, he may try and revert back to old habits, by compartmentalizing her, but he knows he can't. The Undead Monk has taken that from him, Roku is/was his weakness.

We also know that there is Livewire. Obviously not mentioned in this book, but I believe Livewire was a direct result of the Undead Monk's ability to "straighten him out". Without his visit to the Undead Monk, there would never have been Angelina/Roku and Ninjak, which means we wouldn't have Livewire and Ninjak.
Moose

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

Is anyone else impressed that this is a return to his first appearance in the VEI Universe? (Unless I am mistaken).
This is what happens when you try to work...

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

jxm640 wrote:Is anyone else impressed that this is a return to his first appearance in the VEI Universe? (Unless I am mistaken)?
Yes, very impressed! Pretty neat idea for the zero issue since we already knew about his upbringing, miserable parents, and all that, and now we finally know who Marco is was.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Far from one of my favorite #0 issue's, but I did enjoy the little flashbacks to his youth, and how his actions then, correlate now...
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was an excellent zero issue and the best Ninjak issue for a while. Great stitch back to his early XO appearance. The panel in this issue when he's on the phone with the fella on the end of his sword is almost identical to the XO #5 panel. :clap:

Enjoyed the different artist too, thought they used them to good effect. The arrow across the middle of the page separating the different stories was a smart move. Kindt gave recognition to someone else for this concept.

I'm very optimistic for the new Ninja k series, this was a good launch issue!

Ps the Ninjak vs the Valiant U cover was excellent too!

4.25/5 :thumb:

Alastor
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Aric/Rai/Bloodshot
Favorite title: X-O Manowar (2017)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Giorello/Crain

Post by Alastor »

I really liked this issue ! Matt Kindt completes his run on the character in a very nice way. The narration is made in an original way. I had never seen that before. Does anyone know Matt Kindt's inspiration?
It's really nice to finally read Ninjak's mission seen in X-O #5. And we still do not know what's in this briefcase! :lol:
I am very intrigued by the prologue of the next series. It's promising. Tomas Giorello on top, as always! I look forward to reading the first issue next week!

4/5.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

I loved it, excellent jump on point for readers, was very well done.