Quantum + Woody! (2017) #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Quantum + Woody! (2017) #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr146/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Quantum + Woody! (2017) #1 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Loved the beginning of your break down on this, only got through about half of it, due to some buffering issues.

I really enjoyed this book, felt like there was some heart to this. I think that Woody screwed up, and that he knows he screwed up, and is trying to somewhat make up for the problems he's caused. I point back to the "I love you bro" stated a handful of times in this book. I somewhat agree with you that the twitter feed was probably Woody's, but they/he did have some form of following, so it could have been a tip line or feed or something. The tips they get on the Twitter feed, the local paper gets a pic, they get a "one year later" newspaper spot, a "where are they" piece, like they were doing some good in D.C. and they were liked by the people, which would be rare for any of Valiant's heroes.

Are JNCO jeans coming back into style? Is that a thing again? I thought I'd seen the last of them, but this book put them on the martial arts girl with the rash around her eyes (pink eye?)

Thedge the Hedge? Why do I want more from this character? The strong yet silent type!
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Quantum & Woody are historically not my favourite characters as I’m not really into ‘comedy books’ (as they’re usually not that funny) however, this creative team won me over. Kibblesmith seems to find the perfect tone, amusing without trying too hard. Kano’s art was superb too. I think it vital that when VEI cycle in other artists the standard doesn’t drop dramatically (looking at you Ming Doyle).

4/5 - Very good opening issue. :thumb: I’ve opted for the 4 issue pre order so I’m on board for that at least but if the standard of writing and art stays like this then I’m probably in for the long haul.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Loved the beginning of your break down on this, only got through about half of it, due to some buffering issues.

I really enjoyed this book, felt like there was some heart to this. I think that Woody screwed up, and that he knows he screwed up, and is trying to somewhat make up for the problems he's caused. I point back to the "I love you bro" stated a handful of times in this book. I somewhat agree with you that the twitter feed was probably Woody's, but they/he did have some form of following, so it could have been a tip line or feed or something. The tips they get on the Twitter feed, the local paper gets a pic, they get a "one year later" newspaper spot, a "where are they" piece, like they were doing some good in D.C. and they were liked by the people, which would be rare for any of Valiant's heroes.

Are JNCO jeans coming back into style? Is that a thing again? I thought I'd seen the last of them, but this book put them on the martial arts girl with the rash around her eyes (pink eye?)

Thedge the Hedge? Why do I want more from this character? The strong yet silent type!
I think Negative One just has face paint around her eyes. Face paint is the new domino mask. Her design rocks, and the pants are a big part of what brings it together. I even like the way her hair looks, and I normally hate the half shaved look with a passion. She completely stole the spotlight from Woody. Hopefully she becomes a recurring character.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

SuperMage wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Loved the beginning of your break down on this, only got through about half of it, due to some buffering issues.

I think Negative One just has face paint around her eyes. Face paint is the new domino mask. Her design rocks, and the pants are a big part of what brings it together. I even like the way her hair looks, and I normally hate the half shaved look with a passion. She completely stole the spotlight from Woody. Hopefully she becomes a recurring character.
Oh, I knew it had to be make-up/face paint, just looked like a rash to me. Yea, she did steal the scene, so I would imagine she will be a big part of the story. Don't know how she fits in, but I do believe she will be a major character. I never liked the JNCO jean style, not saying she doesn't look good, just never liked that look
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I dunno. Are we really doing the Eric and Woody and Dad young days / love contest thing again? Meh. <-- not goat talk

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:I dunno. Are we really doing the Eric and Woody and Dad young days / love contest thing again? Meh. <-- not goat talk
Regarding the goat, though, when it gives birth, does that make the kid a sibling? If it's a male, that would make the Anni-Paddas the second oddest trio of brothers in the Valiant Universe.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:I dunno. Are we really doing the Eric and Woody and Dad young days / love contest thing again? Meh. <-- not goat talk
Regarding the goat, though, when it gives birth, does that make the kid a sibling? If it's a male, that would make the Anni-Paddas the second oddest trio of brothers in the Valiant Universe.
It would, indeed.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Quantum & Woody are historically not my favourite characters as I’m not really into ‘comedy books’ (as they’re usually not that funny) however, this creative team won me over. Kibblesmith seems to find the perfect tone, amusing without trying too hard. Kano’s art was superb too. I think it vital that when VEI cycle in other artists the standard doesn’t drop dramatically (looking at you Ming Doyle).

4/5 - Very good opening issue. :thumb: I’ve opted for the 4 issue pre order so I’m on board for that at least but if the standard of writing and art stays like this then I’m probably in for the long haul.
+1 I gave it a shot, and I liked it. Will see how it goes..
#StayValiant

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I thought this was unreadable. So much time hopping. So very little to connect a story. It was all over the map. For a #1 trying to draw people in, this is really not a great hook point at all. I'm just glad I read the Q&W hardcover before this so I knew who the characters were.

The layouts were all screwy and difficult to read. It's a clear case of someone not knowing how to write a comic book writing a comic book. The "INTERRACIAL FOOLS!" line was another gag me moment just like the "Be Gendered!" in the Faith special. They're frankly going really overboard on that kind of thing in the comics lately, it's getting to be a bit much.

I mean CAFU's art looks pretty aside from the layouts.

2/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Kano is the artist. Same guy who did Q&W MUST DIE!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I thought it was great. I've been a Q&W fan since I bought issue #1 off the racks in 1997. I did enjoy Asmus' run, but I think this is better. Looking forward to more.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Meh
I Miss the good old days.