Eternity #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Eternity #3 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

VCR don't quit fo' chrissmas!

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar (2017) #10], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr147/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Eternity #3 Discussion

Post by tell »

I had formed a theory around the first two issues, but it looks like maybe this is refuting that theory. I was bothered by the poor dialogue and two-dimensional characters in the Unknown, then I connected that all together with the book shape of the Unknown and Abram's pulp sci-fi influenced life.

I thought: The Unknown is a formless energy influenced and created by whomever experiences it. When Abram arrived and was given his powers his pulp sci-fi memories physically formed the Unknown into an imprint of what he would associate with something this cosmic and unknowable. Books, campy characters with campy personalities, psychedelic colors, soviet era space age technology (why else would the Brotherhood in an infinitely powerful, unknow-ably old "world" revere a first generation space probe from a primitive planet that is only 70 years old?), etc.

Problems: Why would Abram have created this and not Myshka or Kazmir? Could there be different areas under their influence or mashed up influences from the three of them that make it feel less built for them individually? This issue states that The Observer died before the cosmonauts arrived, and Myshka was exposed to the dead Observer at that point. So unless Abram's power and influence over this place spans the time of the place as well the space, I guess my theory is off.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with this issue, it's addressing what I didn't like about the previous issue.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I just hope it ties into something florking anything.
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Kindt and company continue to amaze. If they had an award for best continued creative team, they’d win it, hands down. Can’t wait to see how Abram gets his family out of this one. And what it’ll mean for the future of all these characters involved.
#StayValiant

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tell wrote:I had formed a theory around the first two issues, but it looks like maybe this is refuting that theory. I was bothered by the poor dialogue and two-dimensional characters in the Unknown, then I connected that all together with the book shape of the Unknown and Abram's pulp sci-fi influenced life.

I thought: The Unknown is a formless energy influenced and created by whomever experiences it. When Abram arrived and was given his powers his pulp sci-fi memories physically formed the Unknown into an imprint of what he would associate with something this cosmic and unknowable. Books, campy characters with campy personalities, psychedelic colors, soviet era space age technology (why else would the Brotherhood in an infinitely powerful, unknow-ably old "world" revere a first generation space probe from a primitive planet that is only 70 years old?), etc.

Problems: Why would Abram have created this and not Myshka or Kazmir? Could there be different areas under their influence or mashed up influences from the three of them that make it feel less built for them individually? This issue states that The Observer died before the cosmonauts arrived, and Myshka was exposed to the dead Observer at that point. So unless Abram's power and influence over this place spans the time of the place as well the space, I guess my theory is off.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with this issue, it's addressing what I didn't like about the previous issue.

OK, Tell. THIS is where I read that theory, and I believe it still holds true.

Remember back in Divinity #1, Abram was the first to make contact, thus building their entire realm could still be dictated by his experiences. During the transformation with Abram, The Unknown would have access to his memories, and built a world that Abram could identify with, or so it believed. He was the only one with a solid imagination, one that could fathom any idea of what space might be, so The Unknown built a world that he could accept. The other two were more brainwashed, and only believed in what was good for "The Motherland", and could have been eliminated from world building right there. Even though Abrams fled after contact, The Unknown probably had all the time it needed to draw from his subconscious.

In Divinity #3, that world they were stranded on could have been The Unknown. It was constantly changing all around them, nothing solidified (like we see in this book). This could have been The Unknown hard at work, building this world. Again, much like Kasmir's effect he had on earth, Abram's effect on The Unknown can't and won't be changed.

My Theory, The Unknown is only playing out some form of scene Abram read in a comic book, because it doesn't understand the human brain. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that The Unknown did this in order to have Divinity back with it, as it wants some form of company.

The Unknown is an entity not just a place. The hooded figure plays some large role in all of this, and may be the embodiment of The Unknown. This is why The Hooded Person (or The Hood) checked out the re-configuration of robot that was trying to end Abram. In Abram's imagination (comic books), violence is a part of, what it would assume, life. Abram's choice to turn that robot into something that could still live, yet not destroy is curious to The Hood (my new cool name for him).

Far Fetched? Yea, but anything can still happen. This book has been excellent!
Moose

tell

Post by tell »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Far Fetched? Yea, but anything can still happen. This book has been excellent!
Very interesting, I never thought about The Unkown being a "being". That's a cool consideration, I can't wait to see how it ends!

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tell wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Far Fetched? Yea, but anything can still happen. This book has been excellent!
Very interesting, I never thought about The Unkown being a "being". That's a cool consideration, I can't wait to see how it ends!
I was thinking more of a mass entity, but a being works here as well. The Unknown is all that is seen, the hooded figure is the representation of The Unknown in that being...
Moose