XO Manowar #11 [2017] Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
XO Manowar #11 [2017] Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

Hey, hey, hey, OTV's baby brother VCR is turning 150!!

We're covering a bonus book in addition to the regular weekly releases to celebrate.

As always then, if anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #3, & Harbinger Wars 2 #0], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: XO Manowar #11 [2017] Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I was a tad disappointed with this issue. The art wasn’t to my taste, I do like Bodenheim’s covers but he drew XO.... FAT? :? Also, whoever inked / coloured had an odd way of shading the end of his nose so he looked like an alcoholic?? :? The landscapes and other characters were fine though.

Story was ok, not great, maybe in the hands of Larosa on art chores it might have read better.

Not a bad issue but not one of the better ones. Might need a second read.

3/5

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

So at the end, they use a shield thing to trap him inside and he can only escape by taking off his armor. So he just goes and does this as his first option?!? This shield was originally used to keep X-O away from the Emperor. That usage, I understand. But trapping him inside the shield, WITH the item that is generating the shield? Even assuming that the shield might be spherical and he can't just go under it, why is it impossible for Aric to just blast the shield generator on the ground to bits? They could at least have him make the effort to do that first, then show that it's generating a protective shield around itself also. 2nd tactic even I could think of: if you can't get out of the shield, and you can't destroy the generator, then pick it up and take it with you! Fly around at mach 5 and slam that shield into the other bounty hunters if their armor isn't all organic. If it is, then they'll pass through the shield and you can fight them like normal!

Are we back to Aric the Barbarian, or what? "No more Dog, no more Cat, no more talk Englis!" So much for getting all that knowledge from the Torment. Although I am wondering if that is supposed to be how he was able to talk with the Ging-er head alien (I forget it's name) in it's own language.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Other than Aric looking weird and with short hair I enjoyed this issue alot. Actuelly I think this is one of the best issues of late.

It didnt really show much about baz-L come up from the ground. At first I thought it came down on him but without a helmet Aric would have been mush.
How didit get burried?

I thought the armor was organic. It grew from a tree. It came from a little girl. Isnt it organic?
Wasnt it dead hand that was looking for organic meterial for or from xo units?

Ive seen a cover someplace with Baz-L's body and it looks really cool. I wonder if Baz-L and Gin-gr will mate and make little baby robots.

I really enjoyed this issue. 4.5 out of 5 I think its time to start working together with the armor and listening more. Taimos
Did anyone see the infamous gorin tail in this issue. I forgot to look.
I Miss the good old days.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

nonplayer wrote: Ive seen a cover someplace with Baz-L's body and it looks really cool. I wonder if Baz-L and Gin-gr will mate and make little baby robots.
One of the teases from the Book of Death white board was World War GN-GR.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

I liked the issue.
nonplayer wrote:I thought the armor was organic. It grew from a tree. It came from a little girl. Isnt it organic?
Wasnt it dead hand that was looking for organic meterial for or from xo units?
I was wondering the same thing, I can't remember if it's ever explicitly said but Shanhara is alive, is she technology, organic, or both...?
Phoenix8008 wrote:So at the end, they use a shield thing to trap him inside and he can only escape by taking off his armor. So he just goes and does this as his first option?!? This shield was originally used to keep X-O away from the Emperor. That usage, I understand. But trapping him inside the shield, WITH the item that is generating the shield?
I'll have to recheck, but I thought they showed the Bounty Hunters with the controller outside of the shield after he was trapped. Aric stripping and fighting naked is a recurring method of his so I think it is logically what he'd do, but if he could move the shield it would be awesome to have him zipping around causing havoc from inside.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Phoenix8008 wrote:So at the end, they use a shield thing to trap him inside and he can only escape by taking off his armor. So he just goes and does this as his first option?!? This shield was originally used to keep X-O away from the Emperor. That usage, I understand. But trapping him inside the shield, WITH the item that is generating the shield? Even assuming that the shield might be spherical and he can't just go under it, why is it impossible for Aric to just blast the shield generator on the ground to bits? They could at least have him make the effort to do that first, then show that it's generating a protective shield around itself also. 2nd tactic even I could think of: if you can't get out of the shield, and you can't destroy the generator, then pick it up and take it with you! Fly around at mach 5 and slam that shield into the other bounty hunters if their armor isn't all organic. If it is, then they'll pass through the shield and you can fight them like normal!

Are we back to Aric the Barbarian, or what? "No more Dog, no more Cat, no more talk Englis!" So much for getting all that knowledge from the Torment. Although I am wondering if that is supposed to be how he was able to talk with the Ging-er head alien (I forget it's name) in it's own language.
It looks like it not only trapped the armor but immobilized it. Whether Aric could have done anything with the controller after he came out of the armor is a good question.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I liked the issue a lot and thought the art was terrific.

I would agree that simply shedding the armor and walking out utterly defenseless is a dumb move. It would have been more convincing if they somehow forced him out by eliminating oxygen from the containment sphere or something.

I thought it was odd to see Aric fighting without his helmet... could it be that part of the armor is outside of the sphere? :hm:

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Pretty good issue. He will get his armor, destroy the bounty hunters and realize he has no place on Gorin. Time to go back to Earth. Then the plot holes will be filled in. Looking forward to it. 3.9/5.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:Hey, hey, hey, OTV's baby brother VCR is turning 150!!

We're covering a bonus book in addition to the regular weekly releases to celebrate.

As always then, if anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #3, & Harbinger Wars 2 #0], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great podcast as always :thumb:

From an artists point of view, is the anatomy of how Bodenheim draw XO ‘correct’? Looks awfully wide around the midriff, or is this just artistic interpretation?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was a tad disappointed with this issue. The art wasn’t to my taste, I do like Bodenheim’s covers but he drew XO.... FAT? :? Also, whoever inked / coloured had an odd way of shading the end of his nose so he looked like an alcoholic?? :? The landscapes and other characters were fine though.

Story was ok, not great, maybe in the hands of Larosa on art chores it might have read better.

3/5
Enjoyed it more on the second read. 3.75/5

Some of the OTV boys not digging the new bounty hunters, I think the designs are great but I guess seeing more of their individual abilities might increase they’re appeal as characters. Hope they’re not killed off.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I was a tad disappointed with this issue. The art wasn’t to my taste, I do like Bodenheim’s covers but he drew XO.... FAT? :? Also, whoever inked / coloured had an odd way of shading the end of his nose so he looked like an alcoholic?? :? The landscapes and other characters were fine though.

3/5

Some of the OTV boys not digging the new bounty hunters, I think the designs are great but I guess seeing more of their individual abilities might increase they’re appeal as characters. Hope they’re not killed off.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Hey, hey, hey, OTV's baby brother VCR is turning 150!!

Great podcast as always :thumb:

From an artists point of view, is the anatomy of how Bodenheim draw XO ‘correct’? Looks awfully wide around the midriff, or is this just artistic interpretation?
I'm a big fan of his work & style, and would be tempted to say that what you're seeing is a bit of artistic interpretation. Instead of drawing the suit as skin tight he seems to be giving it a bit of extra thickness. I'm seeing a couple of panels where it's clear he is drawing the metallic blue parts to "bump out" over the gold muscle strand areas. Most other artists so far have probably drawn all of the armour at the same thickness.

But if I turn a more critical eye to his drawings in this issue, I do see a slight anatomy problem in a few panels where we see full bodied figures. He seems to have a habit of drawing shorter legs sometimes. It is most evident in the first page splash panel, and a few other spots here & there. Not enough to really stand out as a consistent error. But that would also contribute to the illusion that he is too wide through the midriff.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

3/5

I'm with you on the character designs. Love them. Not as keen on the actual characters yet, but I believe I also said on the show that I don't want to see these guys get killed off too soon either.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Pretty decent issue, I like these Bounty Hunters, especially Hesnid. Nice to see that the prior issue which focused on these Bounty Hunters, inform the narrative in this issue...
#StayValiant

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I'm happy to get back to the story here. I thought it's started to open up nicely and actually for the first time this series, we got what feels more like a traditional comic book rather than a narrator telling about a war through pictures. It was very nice on that front, and it looks like Kindt layered the beginning of the storyline intentionally to give everything a bit of extra oomph here for us to care about.

I love that there was a page of Aric flying into the planet core. That's bad *SQUEE*.

Love the robot creature thing (the Gin-Gr one. Forget what it's called. Nice touch tying things with the 2012 series through that).

This issue also confirmed for me that issue #10 was a fill in issue to buy time lol. We didn't really need that issue at all. The bounty hunters are very well defined by this issue.

I love this whole plot here and it feels very classic XO. Someone commented on how stupid it is for Aric to walk out of his armor and just grandstand like that -- but it is TOTALLY in character for Aric. He is stubborn-headed and has a ridiculous honor code and it's amusing, even if foolish.

Storyline is great, now for the criticism.

The art quality is way lower than the rest of the series so far. The story's gone more traditional comic, and the art went that way too, but some of the figures are awkward, the expressions too. Aric's beard looks ridiculous in a couple spots (I think it might be the coloring?). Usually I find a valiant title is just the cream of the crop for art and maybe the story missed a little, but this had the opposite. It's not as bad as some of the Marvel books out these days, but for this series in particular, it's a low point, and because of the standard we're used to, it distracts a little.

8/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.