Ninja-K #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Ninja-K #3 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

Hey, hey, hey, OTV's baby brother VCR is turning 150!!

We're covering a bonus book in addition to the regular weekly releases to celebrate.

As always then, if anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #3, & Harbinger Wars 2 #0], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Ninja-K #3 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Enjoyed this book and you're guy's review of it. Don't know if it's just me, but this control issue echoes back to book #1, and the Livewire thing he has to commit to. If Ninjak wanted to start a life with Livewire, could MI-6 really do anything about it? I really don't think MI-6 is strong enough to stand in their way. Maybe Ninjak doesn't get solid answers, and this is the defining moment of the series, weather they attempt to control Ninjak, and keep him from Livewire.
Moose

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Enjoyed this book and you're guy's review of it. Don't know if it's just me, but this control issue echoes back to book #1, and the Livewire thing he has to commit to. If Ninjak wanted to start a life with Livewire, could MI-6 really do anything about it? I really don't think MI-6 is strong enough to stand in their way. Maybe Ninjak doesn't get solid answers, and this is the defining moment of the series, weather they attempt to control Ninjak, and keep him from Livewire.
Glad you enjoyed the episode - it was good being back on the show again.

Good observation there - I would say that in some regards, MI6 has already had a say in what will happen between Colin & Amanda, through the degree of psychological manipulation they may have participated in during his formative years... interesting to note all the flashback scenes on that splash page where Colin is wondering just how much he has been shaped by this acclimation bureau through his life already. They've possibly done their part in trying to shape his personality so that he is incapable of forging bonds with anyone even if he thinks he wants to...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Enjoyed this book and you're guy's review of it. Don't know if it's just me, but this control issue echoes back to book #1, and the Livewire thing he has to commit to. If Ninjak wanted to start a life with Livewire, could MI-6 really do anything about it? I really don't think MI-6 is strong enough to stand in their way. Maybe Ninjak doesn't get solid answers, and this is the defining moment of the series, weather they attempt to control Ninjak, and keep him from Livewire.
Glad you enjoyed the episode - it was good being back on the show again.

Good observation there - I would say that in some regards, MI6 has already had a say in what will happen between Colin & Amanda, through the degree of psychological manipulation they may have participated in during his formative years... interesting to note all the flashback scenes on that splash page where Colin is wondering just how much he has been shaped by this acclimation bureau through his life already. They've possibly done their part in trying to shape his personality so that he is incapable of forging bonds with anyone even if he thinks he wants to...
Agreed, and I wonder if his decision will be more of a defiance of MI-6, or if he will actually "give in" to his feelings, and allow a personal connection to happen. Could possibly be both.

I like your connection there, MI-6 has shaped his life to ensure that subconsciously he will turn away from any and all human connection, basically believing that he doesn't need it in his life.
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

It's interesting that we were talking about the many layers of Ninjak's backstory in the review of last month's issue... and that now it seems like some of it may have been manipulation by MI6. :hm:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Another strong issue, Gage and the art team doing a great job in weaving a complex but engaging story. I like how Gage is isn’t continuity to good effect then running with it.

Back up story a little weak.

4/5 - shaping up to be the best run of Ninjak in the characters history :thumb:

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Talking heads but, informative... :?
#StayValiant

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Really enjoying this series. Art and action are great. Story is keeping me interested for sure. I wonder if Aric will appear somehow when he returns. That would be cool. 4.5/5!
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

SiegeTheBox
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: The Valiant
Favorite character: The Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by SiegeTheBox »

Really loving this series so far. I'm interested to see if we get an idea of just how much of Colin's life has been *SQUEE* up by MI6.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California

Post by KXXX »

agent_graves wrote:Talking heads but, informative... :?
Say huh?

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

KXXX wrote:
agent_graves wrote:Talking heads but, informative... :?
Say huh?
A lot of standing around and talking, but that also provided a lot of information. :thumb:
#StayValiant

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

I thought this was a nice follow up to issue #2. Art is beautiful of course, even if the detail dropped a tad in this issue (maybe was rushing a little after the first two timing wise). A lot of nice battle in this, the backstory was interesting, the "twist" was also interesting. Well crafted on that level all the way around from writing to art. However... I'm again faced with a little bit of repetition coming from Valiant on the worldbuilding end. Now MI-6 has this evil sub program just like Bloodshot's got these evil sub programs just like Harada's got these evil sub programs... there's too many generic evil things happening in organizations shattering heroes worlds so they're not fighting for what they thought they're fighting for. It's more of a global thing I'm seeing where it's too much of this one track to make things dark/edgy -- and the end result is there's a fun factor missing from things. Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe has that fun factor, and this is missing that in exchange for the dark. I think over time that's going to end up being a problem for the line that really needs to settle down with its worldbuilding to some degree, even if this issue was fine on its own.

8/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

“The foibles of politics and the march of time can turn friends into enemies just as easily as the wind changes... ...yesterday's ally becomes today's opposition. Enemies change along with the times, and the flow of the ages...  ...so then what is an enemy? Is there such thing as an absolute timeless enemy? There is no such thing and never has been... ...and the reason is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms.”
― The Boss, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Review to follow...

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

“Ninja-K is is a masterfully written and visually stunning experience. Christos Gage and Tomas Giorello have taken one of the best titles Valiant Entertainment has to offer, and have taken this title to the next level of greatness! This is a series that should not be missed.”
Tomas Giorello; Christos Gage; Diego Rodriguez; Roberto de la Torre

http://all-comic.com/2018/ninja-k-3/