Bloodshot: Salvation #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot: Salvation #6 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr153/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Bloodshot: Salvation #6 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

It's a pretty strong issue for one with no combat. Superb art, too.

And I guess we're narrowing down how Omen was able to shut off the nanites. If GATE has the ability to turn them on (and off), then perhaps Omen had an inside man that was able to steal the technology. While it's a minor detail, Omen has the ability to do it remotely while GATE requires the machine we saw Bloodshot in.

One other matter is exactly how the nanites were passed to Jesse, biologically. I suppose they could have been present at, uh, the process of insemination.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

jmatt wrote:It's a pretty strong issue for one with no combat. Superb art, too.

And I guess we're narrowing down how Omen was able to shut off the nanites. If GATE has the ability to turn them on (and off), then perhaps Omen had an inside man that was able to steal the technology. While it's a minor detail, Omen has the ability to do it remotely while GATE requires the machine we saw Bloodshot in.

One other matter is exactly how the nanites were passed to Jesse, biologically. I suppose they could have been present at, uh, the process of insemination.
If Bloodshot's Nantes self-replicate, then they'd likely hitch a ride with his genetic material when Jesse was conceived. From there they just have to multiply.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

SuperMage wrote:

If Bloodshot's Nantes self-replicate, then they'd likely hitch a ride with his genetic material when Jesse was conceived. From there they just have to multiply.
Well, evolve first, as Omen (and I am guessing Capshaw) have no way of shutting them down. Then, it seemed like some life threatening event had to take place, the fever, before the Nanites jumped into action. Likely, they might have stayed dormant for some time, could have come out really at any time the kid got super sick
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

This was the first issue of bloodshot that bugged me.
I dont hate it. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Comic pages arnt me to be eaten but this book didnt digest well for me.
It bothered me that gate could just over ride the shut down of the nanites it seemed a little forced and when have we ever seen gate with bloodshot mechines.

We have seen bloodshot give a girl nanites to infiltrate a facility weve seen bloodshot talk to malgam and use nanites to break into computer files. Cant his nanites help his daughter. Anyone who is a dad would know this would be your first step as a blooddad.
Gate has live wire miss tech and mechine expert. How is going off on a dead side mission alone no back up with a sick infant a good idea. No dad would do this..
This comic is a set up obviously probably to get bloodshot readers to read shadowman when it comes out what ever date was advertised in that page. Its also a way to explore the no art comic coming next. This issue really bugs me and I felt used poor plots not logical decisions by parents. Even ninjak sugesting the dead side as a plan was hoky. Its like this hey nonplayer your childs sick how about go to Afghanistan I know a cave that has magical heailing water take your sick and getting sicker by the minute infant daughter with out formula or breast milk there and by the way good luck your on your own.

2.0 Low low entertaimos from this fan facepalm
Wtf was wrong with the art.
I Miss the good old days.

SuperMage
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
SuperMage wrote:

Well, evolve first, as Omen (and I am guessing Capshaw) have no way of shutting them down. Then, it seemed like some life threatening event had to take place, the fever, before the Nanites jumped into action. Likely, they might have stayed dormant for some time, could have come out really at any time the kid got super sick
Theory Time! The nanites need to protein to function. The get that protein from the host body, which is the reason why Bloodshot literally had to eat an entire cow in the original series. Jesse is still a baby. She doesn't have enough protein to power the nanites inside her. So if Jesse is incapable of providing the nanites with protein through her diet the nanites need to get the protein themselves. So how do the nanites get the protein they need? By literally eating Jesse! They're breaking her body down in order to get the fuel they need to operate.

The original Bloodshot series had a similar plot point with the underground city that was consumed by grey goo.

Jesse's nanites are definitively an evolved version of Bloodshot's. Chances are he couldn't interface with her nanites even if he tried. The same way Quiet Man couldn't stop the nanite outbreak in Bloodshot USA.

The more you think about it, the more it all makes sense.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:.
It bothered me that gate could just over ride the shut down of the nanites it seemed a little forced and when have we ever seen gate with bloodshot mechines.
Um... Bloodshot USA, Bloodshot's day off, there's been a few times we have seen GATE with those machines.
We have seen bloodshot give a girl nanites to infiltrate a facility weve seen bloodshot talk to malgam and use nanites to break into computer files. Cant his nanites help his daughter. Anyone who is a dad would know this would be your first step as a blooddad.
Again, OMEN stated evolution. Never has there been a depiction of Bloodshot, or any other GIVING nanites to a regular human (not a psyot that can control them), so it goes to figure that through evolution, BS can not absorb the nanites, they are foreign to him. I imagine this will be explained a little better when BS goes to the future and meets 4002 BS.
Moose

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
nonplayer wrote:.
Um... Bloodshot USA, Bloodshot's day off, there's been a few times we have seen GATE with those machines.
Again, OMEN stated evolution. Never has there been a depiction of Bloodshot, or any other GIVING nanites to a regular human (not a psyot that can control them), so it goes to figure that through evolution, BS can not absorb the nanites, they are foreign to him. I imagine this will be explained a little better when BS goes to the future and meets 4002 BS.
Second point is false

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Mmm, nonplayer may be right. Who was it that Bloodshot infused with nanites to sneak into the original PRS lab with the kids? Kara? Or Pulse? I can't recall.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:Mmm, nonplayer may be right. Who was it that Bloodshot infused with nanites to sneak into the original PRS lab with the kids? Kara? Or Pulse? I can't recall.
Issue 5 kara spits at the guard who says stupid *SQUEE* as he washes his hands. Blood goes down sink and drips through pipe and infects prs computers as a virus. The only thing the guard was worried about was contracting hepititus.
Fact :high-five:
And Jmatt is off the bann list whoop. :clap:

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This was ok, nanities plot thread addressed, I guess. Painted art’s a shift from what came before, still good though. Other than that, it set up the next issue, which I’m kind of looking forward to now. Should be interesting... :thumb:
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:Blood goes down sink and drips through pipe and infects prs computers as a virus.
I think that they've kind of ignored that ability since then and with good reason. It's a dumb idea for the book because it makes it too easy.

And Moose, not rubbing it in. I was just talking continuity.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this issue was decent but a drop off in momentum since the previous issues. I think Guedes’ drawn style is better than the painted style he uses in this book. I do have one beef with the editors in this book. The last couple of issues were about Ray being used as a human punchbag and it was central to the story on how much punishment he took. This issues follows directly on from his arse whooping and what do we see...Ray with not a mark on him facepalm

As for the story, once again the Deadside element feels ‘forced’ in order to generate interest in Shadowman but I’ll keep an open mind to it and see where it goes. I am looking forward to the next ‘all black’ issue.

3/5

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I thought this issue was decent but a drop off in momentum since the previous issues. I think Guedes’ drawn style is better than the painted style he uses in this book. I do have one beef with the editors in this book. The last couple of issues were about Ray being used as a human punchbag and it was central to the story on how much punishment he took. This issues follows directly on from his arse whooping and what do we see...Ray with not a mark on him facepalm

As for the story, once again the Deadside element feels ‘forced’ in order to generate interest in Shadowman but I’ll keep an open mind to it and see where it goes. I am looking forward to the next ‘all black’ issue.

3/5
Good point I missed that

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Yeah, that is a good point.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I thought this issue was decent but a drop off in momentum since the previous issues. I think Guedes’ drawn style is better than the painted style he uses in this book. I do have one beef with the editors in this book. The last couple of issues were about Ray being used as a human punchbag and it was central to the story on how much punishment he took. This issues follows directly on from his arse whooping and what do we see...Ray with not a mark on him facepalm

3/5
I am generally fine with stories that drift into the deadside, as I like the concept of it & it's place in the Valiant universe. But this time, I agree with your sentiment that it feels forced. I mean, Bloodshot is a high tech soldier, and the issue with baby Jessie having difficulty with her activated nanites is a technical issue. Why are we going to the deadside first to find a supernatural solution?

I didn't catch the thing about him not being physically injured - was this before he had his nanites reactivated in this issue? Speaking of which... G.A.T.E. arbitrarily knows how to switch them on now? What is with this lazy writing? facepalm

Art was quite solid though, great stuff there!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:

3/5
I am generally fine with stories that drift into the deadside, as I like the concept of it & it's place in the Valiant universe. But this time, I agree with your sentiment that it feels forced. I mean, Bloodshot is a high tech soldier, and the issue with baby Jessie having difficulty with her activated nanites is a technical issue. Why are we going to the deadside first to find a supernatural solution?

I didn't catch the thing about him not being physically injured - was this before he had his nanites reactivated in this issue? Speaking of which... G.A.T.E. arbitrarily knows how to switch them on now? What is with this lazy writing? facepalm

Art was quite solid though, great stuff there!
Unfortunately his miraculous recovery from a sever heating was before the nanites were switched back on. I think it makes sense tha G.A.T.E. can manipulate the nanites as this continues on from previous continuity (following Bloodshot USA), however, presumably the other organisation can simply deactivate them again as soon as they show up on the monitoring system? :?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:But this time, I agree with your sentiment that it feels forced. I mean, Bloodshot is a high tech soldier, and the issue with baby Jessie having difficulty with her activated nanites is a technical issue. Why are we going to the deadside first to find a supernatural solution?
I think they made a point of saying this was a last resort. Bloodshot confronts the doctors who said they tried everything. A few pages later, Capshaw makes the doctors literally state for the record that they have tried everything and there's nothing more they can do.

I would agree that you would think there must be some other method or agency they can employ... but they repeatedly say she's slipping away quickly... and you've got Ninjak standing there saying he has an idea.

So I think Lemire took the time to frame the dire circumstances and limited options.