Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #2 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #2 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Quantum & Woody #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr154/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #2 Discussion

Post by TheFerg714 »

I thought it sucked. Everyone's acting out of character, like a kid's Marvel comic. which I know is the point, but it doesn't feel like Valiant. It feels like babby's first Valiant. The art is pretty bland as well. Bennett's work in Long Live the King was significantly better imo.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

TheFerg714 wrote:I thought it sucked. Everyone's acting out of character, like a kid's Marvel comic. which I know is the point, but it doesn't feel like Valiant. It feels like babby's first Valiant. The art is pretty bland as well. Bennett's work in Long Live the King was significantly better imo.
I didn’t have a problem with the art, but I agree with you on everything else. A lot of OOC, (out of character) moments. Although it’s out of continuity, it feels wrong. Guess that’s the point... :?
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

As an out of contuity read and in anticipation of the live action series I was fine with this book. As long as you don’t try and make sense of it with the in continuity stuff and accept that the characters are not like for like then it reads well enough as I think it gives insight of how they’ll be portrayed when the Bat in the Sun series gets released.

The art was ‘ok’ but I’m not gagging to see Bennet on any other books any time soon. One panel did annoy me as it seemed incredibly lazy by the artist. EW hits the hunter through the shoulder with an arrow and the hunter is able to pull it out fully intact (and no blood or entry point in his shoulder)??facepalm When you see the detail Larosa (for example) puts in it’s annoying when some artists can’t be arsed with getting detail correct.

On the subject of lazy, anyone spot the first aid box Ninjak was using was called a FIRE aid? :?

3.5/5 Worth reading

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I didn't mind it for what it is. I think whatever Bloodshot shot Ninjak with disabled the nanites in Ninjak. That's why he was shown as "offline" to end the issue.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I dunno about you guys but I thought the art was terrific.