Secret Weapons: Owen's Story #0 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Secret Weapons: Owen's Story #0 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr157/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Re: Secret Weapons: Owen's Story #0 Discussion

Post by agent_graves »

Heisserer has been killing it, with these origin stories. This was Owen’s story but, lowkey, it serviced others characters backstory as well. Secret Weapons has been amazing from the start, it’s a shame that Heisserer’s future, as far as writing these characters in print form, is up in the air, it should be a no brainer, smfh... :censored:

Heisserer mentioned on Twitter that he’d hope to be commissioned to do a Avi #0... facepalm
#StayValiant

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

agent_graves wrote:Heisserer has been killing it, with these origin stories. This was Owen’s story but, lowkey, it serviced others characters backstory as well. Secret Weapons has been amazing from the start, it’s a shame that Heisserer’s future, as far as writing these characters in print form, is up in the air, it should be a no brainer, smfh... :censored:

Heisserer mentioned on Twitter that he’d hope to be commissioned to do a Avi #0... facepalm
If they value the trade paperback market.... at least 3 issues for a trade... it would make sense...

If they really thought ahead they could've compiled it with HW2 #0 and had it on the shelf the day HW2 Prelude is released...

That said, I am grateful and enjoy these origin stories, but it's like tasting a dessert that you want to actually order, but are told, oh we don't have any right now... but wasn't that good, huh?

Secret Weapons 2 please...

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Jrosen »

I was actually disappointed in this origin story. In Secret Weapons, Owen was complaining that he only conjured useless stuff, and it wasn't until the end that he realized that he was realized that he foresight to conjure what he will need. The ending of the origin is the same thing, that he realizes that he conjures things that will be needed in the future. If he realized that in the origin, then why didn't he understand that in Secret Weapons?

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

agent_graves wrote:Heisserer has been killing it, with these origin stories. This was Owen’s story but, lowkey, it serviced others characters backstory as well. Secret Weapons has been amazing from the start, it’s a shame that Heisserer’s future, as far as writing these characters in print form, is up in the air, it should be a no brainer, smfh... :censored:

+1 Cleverley written story. After reading the end it was interesting to go back through the story and see the subtle signs which seemed insignificant at the time. Art was great too.

We NEED more Heisserer on Valiant books.

4.25/5

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Jrosen wrote:I was actually disappointed in this origin story. In Secret Weapons, Owen was complaining that he only conjured useless stuff, and it wasn't until the end that he realized that he was realized that he foresight to conjure what he will need. The ending of the origin is the same thing, that he realizes that he conjures things that will be needed in the future. If he realized that in the origin, then why didn't he understand that in Secret Weapons?
I don't think there ever was a spot where Owen realized that the items he conjured actually were useful. I don't have the book here in front of me, but I don't remember him actually being aware. The panels show you, the viewer, that they are useful.

If I am wrong, that's a pretty big hole...
Moose

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Jrosen wrote:I was actually disappointed in this origin story. In Secret Weapons, Owen was complaining that he only conjured useless stuff, and it wasn't until the end that he realized that he was realized that he foresight to conjure what he will need. The ending of the origin is the same thing, that he realizes that he conjures things that will be needed in the future. If he realized that in the origin, then why didn't he understand that in Secret Weapons?
I don't think there ever was a spot where Owen realized that the items he conjured actually were useful. I don't have the book here in front of me, but I don't remember him actually being aware. The panels show you, the viewer, that they are useful.

If I am wrong, that's a pretty big hole...
I checked the HC, LiveWire says to him at the end, that the things he conjures are useful, basically something he already knew, based off the #0 issue. She mentions ways for them all to make their powers work in their favor. In the mini for Owen, it was more about it still being unknown, not useful. I think he will always have a frustrating reaction because at the moment he conjures something, he doesn’t automatically know how he’ll be able to use whatever it is, especially in the heat of the moment. But like Amanda was telling him, his subconscious is at the wheel, he just needs to focus more...

He wanted a gun, he got an umbrella... Yea, he knows the things he conjures can be useful, but how to use them in the heat of the moment, (running from Rex-O) can be tricky, gotta think fast...

Him and Nikki were holding hands, boom, a heart- shaped balloon. At the time he didn’t know how that would be useful, but it worked out...

So, yea, he already knows that these things can be useful, his issue was with it being unknown and how to use whatever pops out...

His focus was strong when Nikki got hurt, that might be the only time he conjured something that automatically helped his situation, (that and the pillow) without him having to figure out how to make the sh!t useful, lol
#StayValiant

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
That's how I see it.

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Finally read this over the weekend. And it was just as consistent and fantastic as the rest of the SECRET WEAPONS issues! This issue was just incredible. Not just good Valiant comics, but good comics in general.

They really should have planned for an Avi #0 to be out already and collected it with the other zero issues, along with HW2 #0, and have it out the week of the HW2 Prelude issue. They've got gold here, but it's almost like they want it to fail! facepalm

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kinggirlfriend wrote:This issue was just incredible. Not just good Valiant comics, but good comics in general.
Well put. It's a great issue.