Shadowman (2018) #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Shadowman (2018) #1

Post by otomo »

Woot. I got to my comic shop during lunch and read both the books this week, so first!

This was one of those weeks where, for the first time in awhile, I was watching my watch to go "when is it gonna open!" so I could pick up my books.

Which is odd, because I get review copies of Valiant stuff through my new gig at Bounding Into Comics. But I wanted them anyway, heh. I actually unless I'm reviewing for the site proper would prefer to read on paper than on a screen. Better feel for comics.

I had Shadowman already written up this morning: http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/03/2 ... an-2018-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A firm "meh, but wait and see" from me. Nothing made me upset really, nothing really excited me either. 7/10 Art is beautiful.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Shadowman (2018) #1

Post by nonplayer »

Is shadowmam a ongoing title or a mini?
I Miss the good old days.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

nonplayer wrote:Is shadowmam a ongoing title or a mini?
I think it's billed as an ongoing but I can't recall actually seeing that confirmed.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Benny_Decker
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong

Post by Benny_Decker »

otomo wrote:
I think it's billed as an ongoing but I can't recall actually seeing that confirmed.
I remember an interview with Andy Diggle stating that he had the first two years of the series mapped out.
Check out my Valiant YouTube channel called Valiant Victories: https://youtube.com/channel/UCap3ihoc_p22e3pogjO_znw

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Benny_Decker wrote:
otomo wrote:
I remember an interview with Andy Diggle stating that he had the first two years of the series mapped out.
Finally another ongoing title
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

otomo wrote:A firm "meh, but wait and see" from me. Nothing made me upset really, nothing really excited me either. 7/10 Art is beautiful.
This... 8/10 :thumb:
#StayValiant

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

otomo wrote:Woot. I got to my comic shop during lunch and read both the books this week, so first!

This was one of those weeks where, for the first time in awhile, I was watching my watch to go "when is it gonna open!" so I could pick up my books.

Which is odd, because I get review copies of Valiant stuff through my new gig at Bounding Into Comics. But I wanted them anyway, heh. I actually unless I'm reviewing for the site proper would prefer to read on paper than on a screen. Better feel for comics.

I had Shadowman already written up this morning: http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/03/2 ... an-2018-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A firm "meh, but wait and see" from me. Nothing made me upset really, nothing really excited me either. 7/10 Art is beautiful.
Your review nailed it... there's no hook.

I too dashed to the comic shop at lunch to get it asap. It's been my most anticipated book this year, and I think your 7/10 is fair. It didn't do anything to upset me, I just worry that others who pick up this 1st issue aren't dissuaded by wading through 'catching up on Jack'.

No wait... something did upset me. I really wanted one of those nice cover stocks like XO and Secret Weapons get.

I will add that Diggle's other books, which I read or reread since his announcement are similar in slow builds before the real oomph of the story kicks in... (Green Arrow Year One, Lady Constantine, Swamp Thing vol 3.) So if this is just a 3 issue arc, we shouldn't be that far away from something more entertaining.

How about XO 13 though?... oh other thread...

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I thought it was a pretty good reintroduction. Pleased that the continuity is there, they didn't walk away from anything and touched upon many of his main backstory elements.

Happy to see the bayou and Baron Samedi again. The opening was very reminiscent of VH1 Shadowman. :clap:

As it opens, we see Alyssa talking about not wanting to look back... and a picture frame with a little girl. Then we hear Jack talking about never wanting to have a child. It's been five years. Could Alyssa have had Jack's child?

I'm pretty darn happy to see Shadowman back with his own title. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& XO Manowar [2017] #13], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr159/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I thought it was solid! I really liked how Alyssa progressed, as a character, and Shadowman was super cool. I'm in! Can't wait to see what's next!

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

I think this was a decent issue and a nice reintroduction to the main cast. However, this feels like it is a long form story and would be better read as a trade as opposed to single issues.
This is what happens when you try to work...

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
otomo wrote:Woot. I got to my comic shop during lunch and read both the books this week, so first!

Your review nailed it... there's no hook.
I would disagree. For me, the hook was this: It looks like they're planning on really digging into the history of what/why Shadowman is, and why the loa which has bonded to the Shadowmen over the years was exiled in the first place. That kind of long form investigation/research to find the truth would speak to the core of so many problems Jack has with everything Shadowman related... it seems worthwhile to me. I can see a potential story where in finding out what happened, they can maybe make some corrections to balance the scales among the loa's/spirits/whatever, and find a way to empower Jack with more agency and control, allowing him to more fully 'choose' his role, or to see/find out/understand why it's necessary in the big picture. Any of these things will make Jack a more relatable character who is wanting to be the hero, not just whining about being a cage.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good #1 issue to bring him back into the fold. About the only continuity that they skipped over was Jack's bit of time back in our world in MI6's prison just before Rapture. Shouldn't he have been made aware at that point of the passage of a good amount of time? Other than that, they did a great job of summarizing Jack's history, and keeping all the previous continuity straight. We even find out that this Jack played a little bit of saxophone when he was younger! :clap:

I'm looking forward to more!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

As a self confessed NON Shadowman fan, this would have had to have been seriously good to hook me in. I was hoping for more of a Vertigo (serious) style book and this wasn’t that. I thought the dialogue was average, art was average and the first ‘monster’ we see was very poorly designed. In fact it all reminded me of the original Shadowman launch under the VEI era, a just ‘ok’ book. The Baron Samedi part of the book was an improvement.

2.75/5 - very average, not enough to make me pick up the next isssue (will read it on a future ComiXology sale)